HELP please! *DBK neck ussue - Have to figure out a solution - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-2001, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

HELP please! *DBK neck ussue - Have to figure out a solution

Although I love my new Jem DBK's sound and look, im really having trouble getting used to the thin profile of the wizard. *It plays really nicely, but my thumb feels unnatural on the back of it. *I figured Id get used to it, but the transition isnt going as well as planned.

I do love the guitar and I invested $1100 into it so I dont want to have to get rid of it. *Is there any way I could get a jem profiled neck to replace the super wizard on my DBK? *Smooth black headstock just like this one, but I guess it doesnt have to have the phillip head inlays. *I just need some more thickness than the wizard has to offer....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-2001, 11:21 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
HELP please! *DBK neck ussue

Not from ibanez. Your options are finding a used ULTRA neck from a USA Custom or more realistically having a custom 777 neck w/ aanj built. None of the AANJ Jems have the thick profile of years past... glen
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-2001, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

Even a Wizard II profile or the newer jem profile (VWH neck) *would suffice. *It dont have to be a baseball bat thickness really. *Who would you recommend for having a custom 777 neck with aanj built?
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-2001, 11:42 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Who would you recommend for having a custom 777 neck with aanj built?
Sorry, but i can't help you there... anyone else??? ...glen
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2001, 09:30 AM

Reviews: 5

Sebastion, maybe? You there?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2001, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Quote: from jemsite on 10:21 pm on Sep. 27, 2001
Not from ibanez. Your options are finding a used ULTRA neck from a USA Custom or more realistically having a custom 777 neck w/ aanj built. None of the AANJ Jems have the thick profile of years past... glen
The wizard II neck can be had for far less money than a custom neck and has almost (I say ALMOST) the same profile as the older JEM necks.

The necks come standard on ALL the lower end RG models with locking trems. The whole guitar can be bought used for under $300 depending on model.

They are a great way for obtaining AANJ necks for custom work.

J>:thumbsup:
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2001, 11:39 AM

Reviews: 5

Very true. *I'm the proud owner of a VWH, and I have to say that the neck profile on my VWH feels very similar to Bill H's BFP I played. *However, DBKs seem a lot smaller to me. *Anyhow, my practice guitar is an RG-450 because it feels as close to the JEM neck as anyother. *Try a RG with a Wizard II neck.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2001, 12:55 PM
rvj

I find the neck on my DNA to be a bit thin also. I prefer the necks on my 7VWH and 777DY. The RG's with the Wizard II would be a good choice. I've seen used RG's going at $200 and up. It would definitely be less expensive using this approach rather than ordering a custom neck. And you'll get the black headstock too. Look on e-bay as well, I've seen RG necks in the past that were not too expensive. --rvj
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2001, 07:27 PM

Older JEMS do have a thicker neck? Where does the VWH fall into this? How about the 555? It's a JEM neck. Are all JEM necks the same on all 777s, 77s, 7s and Anniversary?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2001, 08:57 PM

personally I really like the DBK neck

my suggestion would be to get a USA custom neck
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2001, 09:04 PM

I'd give it more time - the transition isn't going to be comfortable, but once it's made you won't want to go back... I found Wizard necks very difficult to play at first - I was subject to hand cramps when ever I used them - but now I can go from my 7DBK to my 77FP without any problem at all - tho' I find I can't play big necks comfortably any more...

the transition process took about a year...
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2001, 09:40 PM

I'm in the same boat but opposite I just got a jem7BSB that has a fatter neck then the wizards I'm use to.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2001, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

Im not sure what Im going to do. *The guitar plays really smooth, but it just feels like there is nothing between my thumb and fingers when I anchor my thumb around the 1st and second frets. *Im more used to it now then when I started with it, but I not quite there yet. *Im still debating...

Tags
aanj neck , black headstock , jem dbk , jem neck , locking trems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode