Help! Someone Painted my JEM Pickups! - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Unhappy Help! Someone Painted my JEM Pickups!

I have very early jem77RB that came with an original set of Pink PAF Pro's. However, the knucklehead before me painted them BLACK!!!

Does anyone have any experience removing paint from pickups?

I would rather leave them as-is then destroy them, so proven cleanup techniques only please!!!

Thanks in advance.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 05:14 PM

Wink Re: Help! Someone Painted my JEM Pickups!

Mineral spirits or Naptha solvent if it is oil based, or just replace them.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 05:46 PM

Re: Help! Someone Painted my JEM Pickups!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemplyr77 View Post
Mineral spirits or Naptha solvent if it is oil based, or just replace them.
I would try to get the paint off first. More than likely, the coils on the pickups will have begin to "leak" as they say, which is one of the reasons older guitars sometimes sound better.

Plus, you're not out of a needless $120.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 06:08 PM

Reviews: 12

how was it painted? if it's a plain black marker/sharpie, rubbing alcohol + elbow grease. If it's some sort of spray paint, maybe a can of graffiti remover could do the trick?

Reg
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 06:17 PM

Reviews: 18

Depending upon the kind of paint, you could always try dipping a qtip on paint thinner to get the paint off. With any method, make sure to cover the body of the guitar so nothing accidentally hits the finish. Post pictures of the operation.

Jimmy
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 07:09 PM

I've used Acetone with success to remove paint from a plastic pickguard. I would test the single coil cover first, since that is the easiest to replace if damaged.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 08:02 PM

Reviews: 6

Check this auction from 3 bay. 120213663210

The owner said his pick-ups were painted black. Don't know what his method was, but it seems to have worked fine.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distantshore View Post
I've used Acetone with success to remove paint from a plastic pickguard. I would test the single coil cover first, since that is the easiest to replace if damaged.
I think that's some pretty good advice. I would imagine that some harsher solvents might soften or damage the plastic components if you're not careful.

Just keep in mind the organic chemistry addage 'Like dissolves like'. If the paint is water based, use water. If it is permanent, it is a non-polar compound that will probably require and organic solvent or mineral spirits.

I would personally start with water first (it is the least likely to damage and you may get lucky and the paint will be water based).
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 08:28 PM

If you want them pink you'll probably just have to repaint them pink. I doub't you'll be able to get the black paint off (especially with "said" chemicals) and still have it look half decent
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 08:38 PM

Just order new pink pups, but they won't say DiMarzio on them.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 09:13 PM

Maybe goo gone.... Ive had sucess with goo-gone removing some paint drips on my tile floor...hope this helps.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 09:33 PM

Reviews: 2

I have used Mineral Spirits and other than it melting the glue on the ribbon wrapping your coils it's perfectly fine for the bobbin tops .wipe it on scrub of the paint and rinse it off with a rags and windex.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 02:42 AM
Super Moderator

My vote is for new pickups, as Waylay said it's $120 (it'd be twice that over here in the UK ) And for that you can tailor the sound and look of the guitar to your liking. If you want the original look, order some pink pickups, if you want to try something else, like cream/black zebra coils, now's your chance.

It'll be much easier to clean the original pickups once they're removed from the guitar anyway
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: Help! Someone Painted my JEM Pickups!

Wow!!! Thanks for all the suggestions. I will be trying some out over the weekend, and will let you know the results.

I am going to try and clean these up. I really like the tone from the older 87 PAF Pro's. But, I will buy new ones if all else fails.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 10:04 AM

I would start as mild as possible with solvents and work my way to the harsher stuff.
Start with rubbing alcohol and work your way to lacquer thinner. See if maybe gently heating the pups with a hair dryer on low will allow you to scrape it off.

What kind of plastic does Dimarzio use? Is it a nylon that is dyeable or is it a solvent resistant type?

Tags
paf pro , pickup cover

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode