Help with Used JS1000 purchase - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Help with Used JS1000 purchase

Hey all-

I've been lusting after a JS1000 for over 10 years. I actually have a 10th Chrome Boy, but well..it sits in a case and doesn't get played! I just haven't been able to afford one, but this weekend i found a used one at a GC when I was visiting family in Indy. So I figured if I sold an old Tech 21 amp and my Js700 that I don't play much (too heavy) I could pay for this one ...but I do have a concern...there is literally a "chunk" out of the side of the bridge. Ive attached a photo...is this anything to be concerned about (besides cosmetic reasons)? Also, the Edge Pro shows noticable "rusting" on the top (you can also see this a bit inthe photo)

I've got 30 days to return (and will be visiting family again in about 2 weeks), so I want to make sure I've got a decent instrument here. It seems to play fairly well. The 5 & 7th fret are a bit "flat" where the strings have rubbed; but I think it's OK...how can you tell if you need to re-fret?

I know nothing about guitar tech, and since moving away from the city, I don't know anyone in a small town of 7000 to work on guitars; especially FR's...

Any advice is appreciated...thanks!

PICS Found Below!
http://gallery.me.com/brucefamily/100032

ps.. sorry for the crap pics, our camera stinks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 12:39 AM

Re: Help with Used JS1000 purchase

Looks like it needs a good cleaning and a recrown. maybe not worth more than $600 in that condition, but I am cheap like that. That chunk is a huge cosmetic issue when you really look at it but it doesn't seem like it would mess with the playability.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 12:55 AM Thread Starter

Dino-

Thanks for the response...well, I paid $700...did I get ripped?

I don't mind working on cleaning it; but I'm guessing the fret issues are beyond me.
I only see the "flat" parts on the treble side of 2-3 frets...is this an issue I should worry about?

Any other advice on whether I should just return and cut my losses and hold off for another used one at some point?

Thanks!
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the response...well, I paid $700...did I get ripped?
Guitar seem to have spend some part of it's life in hot/humid/salt environment as most metal parts of the guitar are fairly corroded. A good rub with brass polish on the metal will boost it up some, but it will never be a museum piece.

The chip next to trem is just cosmetic.

To me, I would not have picked it up for that price. As a player it's alright, but the JS is also a great guitar to look at. The chip would have bothered me everyday, but that's me.

And there are simply too many JS 1000's available on craigslist (a.o.) that are in better nick for almost the same price ($750-$900).

Last edited by Jemmm; 08-11-2008 at 12:21 PM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies!

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any on craigslist that are anywhere near me. (been looking for a few years) I've seen some on **** for around $800-900, but with shipping it would be about $200 more than what I paid, plus I hate not getting to play a guitar first. But I may just return it...the wood chip doesn't bother me too much, but it may later on.

Thanks again!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any on craigslist that are anywhere near me.
Why does it have to be near you. I have bought guitars from all over the world.

Just ask the seller lots of questions. From the responses you can tell if seller can be trusted. Ask pictures of trouble areas, and have them send you picture of paper with your name and the guitar. This way you know they actually have the guitar and not used some standard pictures of the net.

There are at least 2-3 on the graigslist, and a few on ****.....see here
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 02:51 PM

If it plays good and doesn't buzz in that area then you are probably fine. Take a black sharpie or some automotive touch up paint to that chip and you will be set.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Jemmm-

I guess I didn't really understand craigslist...I thought it was a local version of ****; so you hve to pick up. If you can get it from anywhere, that might open up some other options. I'm gonna have to sit on this for few days and see how I feel. Even @ $700, I'm having to part with a lot of cash (for me at least...)

Thanks again..,I just don't want to get buyer's remorse later.

It's the neck I love most...if I could find a strat with a similar neck, I'd save myself the cash and get that; but they all seem much thicker.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Even @ $700, I'm having to part with a lot of cash (for me at least...)
With some guitar purchases I have been very picky, waiting till right guitar for right price came along. Sometimes asks for little patience.

For some other purchases I simply had no other choice then to dive right in, as guitar in question was simply too rare to pass up.

JS1000BP would be in first catagory.

But as you have guitar in the house already....you might as well clean her up, and play the hell out of it. Cause that's what guitars are made for!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Well, the more I look at the damage, the more it bothers me :-) I may just need to cut my loses and perhaps in another few years I can find something :-) I checked on some of those craiglist listings and so far, no one is willing to ship. Have you purchased craiglist before and been able to have something shipped?

Thanks again. I love the JS neck (1000). I also have a JS700, but it's just not the same. If I could get a humbucker and get rid of the glossy finish, I would have the perfect guitar (but I think that would just be a 1000 :-)

I'll live with it for a few more days and see...perhaps I'll be lucky and find another somewhere on **** for similar price.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 03:58 PM

Reviews: 18

So let me get this straight....

you have a 10th and you don't play it and when you finally buy a used 1000, you complain that it's too beat up? I tell you what, I'll buy your 10th and make sure it gets taken care of next to its other 2 special edition brothers (Crystal and PRM). send me an email if you're interested. This way, you'll be able to buy a new 1000 and play it.

Jimmy
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Well, I got the JS10th back before kids, mortgage and ministry; and bought it as an investment. Believe me, I've considered selling it and using some of the money to find a JS1000; but I'm hoping it will some day pay off to have held onto it...it's tough to have it sitting there and not play it! But if it's played than the value goes down.

I'm not so much concerned that this JS1000 has some cosmetic damage; I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't effect the playability and whether or not it was a good deal. It seems that I didn't get such a great deal and should perhaps continue to look for a good 1000.

Make me an offer on the JS10th and we'll see :-)

Steven

Last edited by sbruce; 08-12-2008 at 11:56 PM.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Well, I got the JS10th back before kids, mortgage and ministry; and bought it as an investment. Believe me, I've considered selling it and using some of the money to find a JS1000; but I'm hoping it will some day pay off to have held onto it...it's tough to have it sitting there and not play it! But if it's played than the value goes down.
It's like having a 911 in your garage and never to drive it.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 09:56 AM

Reviews: 7

$700 is 375... NEW JS1000s go for about 1000. That chip is VERY nasty, someone must have hit it with a hammer and chisel because dings in the JS dont usually reveal wood, just a nasty white 'smash' in the paint.

I dont think you got ripped off, 400 for a guitar with that small area chipped off that usually costs 1000 is good. In the UK, a guitar like that would go for 500-600 which is $1000+.

Tags
chrome boy , damage , js1000 , rust

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode