HELP! Volume pot problem on my js1000btb. - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2004, 06:11 AM Thread Starter

HELP! Volume pot problem on my js1000btb.

Hi,
My js1000btb has a cranky volume pot. Six months ago i had to return my guitar to the shop i bought it from as both pots were crackly. The guy who serviced it took two weeks to fix it and on my return to pick up the guitar he told me he didn't do anything to the tone pot as it had fixed itself but he had replaced the volume pot with one he had imported from japan. Two weeks after he supposedly fixed it both the volume and tone pot started crackling again, only slightly mind, but it was enough to be annoying. No matter how much contact spray i use it doesn't change a thing and now things have gotten a lot worse. The volume now doesn't reduse. When i turn the pot to turn down the volume it doesnt change at all. It's stuck on the same volume. And then with no warning it will start working again. It's really starting to piss me off. The other night i managed to turn the volume all the way down and whilst i was strumming on the guitar the volume came back on full blast without me touching the pot, the neighbours were not best pleased! And the pot also wobbles ever so slightly which causes the volume to cut out or crackle.
I dont want to take it back to the same guy, even though it's still under warrenty, as i have no confidence in him.
Do you guys think i could do it myself? The problem i face is im not experienced in this type of thing and iv'e been told that the pots on a JS are tricky to deal with because they both have dual functions (coil tap & high pass filter)
Can anyone here suggest what might be wrong with the pot and how i might fix it myself?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2004, 11:21 AM
Vendor

All you can do is replace it. Ibz is having some supplier issues with whoever is making those PP pots, many of them have gone bad. If it's under warranty make sure it's replaced, they cannot be cleaned to fix.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 03:53 PM

I bought a js1000btb here in the UK last December, and have also noticed crackling on both pots. I plan to get them replaced. Does anyone know if Ibanez have solved the problem with their supplier, or is getting them replaced under warranty going to be hit and miss as to whether it solves the problem?
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 04:06 PM
Vendor

All the 1200's I've had were fine and no complaints on the replacement pots I've sold. More than likely there was a bad batch and they've already gone through it.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 04:10 PM

I've had the same exact problems with the stock pots on Ibz guitars (crackling, volume swells) and the only solution is to have them replaced - as Rich said already.
I'm not sure what pots are in the JS, but if you can replace them with full sized CTS pots then great - you will have years of trouble free playing. And no, I wouldn't take it back to the same guy - these problems rarely "fix themselves."
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 08:26 PM

Re: HELP! Volume pot problem on my js1000btb.

I have a 2004 JS1200 and a 2005 JS1000BP that both have slightly noisy volume pots. Apparently Ibanez hasn't got the supplier problem solved after all.

Tags
coil tap , high pass filter , volume pots

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode