Herc Swirl Opinion needed - Page 2 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 08:49 PM

Re: Herc Swirl Opinion needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanitarium View Post
Ummm having read what i've written I think it was maybe a little harsh to other swirlers out there. I think it depends the finish your after on your guitar, for deep rich colour certainly Herc, but i'm a really big fan of Rich Fays which I think are a bit less in your face and his more sedate looking swirls look awsome.
No you werent being harsh, a spade is a spade.

Hercs colours stay strong, defined and bold, thats why I like his work.

When the colours start to mix and dilute with each other (as with some other guys), it looks crappy IMO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 09:49 PM

I knew you would be from Memphis when I saw your name was "RiverKing"! Good to see a fellow Memphian on board.
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 01:07 AM Thread Starter

Actually, I'm a yankee from Cinci., but I've been in the mid south now for five years. And yes, i'm a hockey fan, and I actually am the marketing and creative director for the 'Kings. Glad to see another Memphian in the forum. I think you were also asking about an ebony jem and how it sounds - I actually traded my 7Vh ebony into the local GC toward a custom purple les paul about a month ago. And yes, I'm REALLY missing my jem, so I'm thinking about buying it back. Good people over there, though. if you ever want to come to a game, let me know and I'll hook you up. . . Just got back from a crowd of 8,300 - nice 4-3 Shootout win over OKC, along with 140 penalty minutes in the 2nd period with fighting. A complete success.
post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 01:21 AM

Hey guys Im from west memphis if that counts, lol. Its just on the other side of the bridge so I call myself a memphian. But as far as the swirls go, I like hercs but ive also seen just as good bodies from other makers that would make me just as happy. I mean honestly, sometimes you just cant afford to fork out 500 for a paintjob so I dont think theres anything wrong with settling for something less expensive.
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverKing View Post
Actually, I'm a yankee from Cinci., but I've been in the mid south now for five years. And yes, i'm a hockey fan, and I actually am the marketing and creative director for the 'Kings. Glad to see another Memphian in the forum. I think you were also asking about an ebony jem and how it sounds - I actually traded my 7Vh ebony into the local GC toward a custom purple les paul about a month ago. And yes, I'm REALLY missing my jem, so I'm thinking about buying it back. Good people over there, though. if you ever want to come to a game, let me know and I'll hook you up. . . Just got back from a crowd of 8,300 - nice 4-3 Shootout win over OKC, along with 140 penalty minutes in the 2nd period with fighting. A complete success.
Yeah, I've got a dedicated RiverKing fan friend. He goes to every game.

Anyways, so your JEM is still there (the one in Cordova/Bartlett)? I want to go play it and see how that ebony board feels. I guess I'll head on over there next weekend when I have the time.
post #21 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 09:50 AM

Reviews: 34

Quote:
Ummm having read what i've written I think it was maybe a little harsh to other swirlers out there. I think it depends the finish your after on your guitar, for deep rich colour certainly Herc, but i'm a really big fan of Rich Fays which I think are a bit less in your face and his more sedate looking swirls look awsome.
I've got a Richard Fay swirl. It is fantastic, anyone thinking of having swirls done should definately consider him.

I think that the problem with swirls is that they don't necessarily come across that well in pics. In the flesh they have a whole other dimension of interest.

It's pretty hard to really evaluate someones work unless it is right in front of you.
post #22 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 10:21 AM

I personally don't care for Herc swirls at all. I think Richard Fay's are far better, but of course it is just opinion.
post #23 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 12:36 PM

This is the interesting thing though, are we saying we like someones swirls because of how strong the colours or how the patterns generally come out.
GilkyBear what dont you like about Herc's? Of course it's just opinion but what don't you like i'm just interested to know?
post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 02:36 PM

Ive always felt that Herc's swirls look a little too clean. Richard Fay's swirls look fantastic though, I'll comment more when mine arrives .
post #25 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

I think they both have remarkable work, although with Fay it would be too tough buying from the US when the currency exchange rate so out of whack. As far as finishes go, though - this is my James Tyler Classic, which is by far my favorite axe. Physically and tonally, it has to be seen and heard. And yes, it was costly. Pictures don't do this finish justice. the finish is called 'Purple Candy Shmear', need I say more?

post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 05:11 PM

My guitar, Mr Herc Fede's doing:

Last edited by sanitarium; 01-28-2007 at 06:17 PM.
post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 05:28 PM

Quote:
GilkyBear what dont you like about Herc's? Of course it's just opinion but what don't you like i'm just interested to know?
Ya know, I have never really been able to put my finger on exactly what I don't like about them. His colors don't seem to go together to me. What's odd is that the same logic would mean that I wouldn't like the PMC (I don't like many that I've seen) but I do like a lot of PMCs. Herc's colors just seem way too defined against each other, almost like they're fighting each other. Even when Darren used colors that didn't seem to compliment each other, somehow it worked. I also don't like Herc's swirl patterns (in general). I absolutely love the majority of Richard Fay's swirl patterns and colors. The colors are not so overly contrasting against each other, they go together very well, and I just LOVE his swirl patterns. I really like those nice flowing swirls with tons of little details, and Richard seems to have that nailed. I know it may sound odd, but I have actually wondered to myself what it was about Herc's swirls that I din't like and it was tough for me to really put it in words, they are definitely very well done, just not my taste I guess. Michael Angelo Batio is a phenomenal guitarist too, but I really can't stand any of his music if you know what I mean. I am very impressed with their ability (Herc and Batio) but it just doesn't do it for me.
post #28 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Sanitarium,
That guitar looks SWEET! Great inlay work, who did it? As for Herc vs. all of the above, I'd have to say that they all have great talent - I personally like more intense colors, so Herc may be the best bet. As aforementioned, Fay's out of the question due to the fact that it's WASY across the pond.
post #29 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 06:31 PM

Thanks Riverking. The swirl, inlays, pick guard and pickup colouring was all done by Herc Fede.
post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 06:33 PM

Oh yeah and before anyone points it out, the bridge saddle are way too far forward, dont know what happened but they all need adjusting which should sort my intonation and tuning problems out lol.

Tags
angelo batio , custom guitar , dimarzio pickup , dna swirl , dual rectifier , ebony board , eric johnson , eric johnson strat , herc fede , herc swirl , les paul , michael angelo batio , richard fay

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode