Herc Swirl Opinion needed - Page 3 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 07:23 PM

Re: Herc Swirl Opinion needed

Personally, I like Herc's swirls the best. I love how clean the lines are. It's all a matter of personal taste.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverKing View Post
I think they both have remarkable work, although with Fay it would be too tough buying from the US when the currency exchange rate so out of whack. As far as finishes go, though - this is my James Tyler Classic, which is by far my favorite axe. Physically and tonally, it has to be seen and heard. And yes, it was costly. Pictures don't do this finish justice. the finish is called 'Purple Candy Shmear', need I say more?

Did you get that at Martin Music? Looks cool.
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, Eric sold me on it. I was really missing a strat and determined on picking up either a Suhr or Tom Anderson, but once I picked this one up, I knew it was the one. . . I paired it up against a TA, Suhr, and an Eric Johnson strat, nothing came close. . . unfortunately. the price will reflect that as well. I'm serious, even with my custom class 5 Les paul lying next to me right now - the Tyler is by far the finest guitar I've ever played. I do, however, miss my Jem and look forward to either picking one up again soon or doing a custom build, which I'm weighing against each other.

And if you're interested in helping me 'finance' this project, I have my old concert classical guitar on consignment at Martin, currently (harmless plug, and tongue in cheek, as well).
post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

BTW, I saw him yesterday and he mentioned he's getting in two Jem 20's. . . I'm going to be sure to check them out when they get in before passing final judgement.
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 10:50 PM

I used to love going in there. Too bad every time I've been in there recently though, they treat me like sh*t. He had a fit when I unplugged the guitar first when the amp was still on and reprimanded me as if I were child. Nevermind the fact that the volume was completely off, so it's not as if I were gonna blow a speaker or anything... I also asked him to order me a custom colored Dimarzio pickup a while back. He said he would call me when he had placed the order. Never did. I know he's a busy man and my order was relatively small to the business he usually does, but there's no excuse for that in the business world.

It's a shame that they are the only place that carries high-end equipment around town.
post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

I can understand your being unhappy with him, he is an odd bird (as well as the rest of the Martin crew) - I've always been treated fairly by him, but I DO know he is faulty at getting back in touch with you on an order. Sometimes I feel like I have to be the sales guy. . . But the store down in Southaven's great - Dave (the manager), Kevin and Jordan are very down to earth and eager to help out any way they can. They're almost a nice buffer between Eric and the client. But like I said, I really haven't had any problems with Eric.

Don't mean to bring up the aforementioned GC again, but they do carry a slew of PRS, a Grosh, 2 Tyler's, and so forth. Although I think Martin would have a better deal on the PRS. Ted Strange is the manager at GC, and he's a wickedly cool guy. But other than that, you're right about no other high end outlet. You think that in this 'music market' that there would be more options. . .
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 10:06 AM

i've seen 2 or 3 of the herc swirls up close and they are truly awesome. how can a swirl be 'too defined'?
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyfingersminion View Post
how can a swirl be 'too defined'?
What I mean by that is that the colors contrast against each other too much, whereas I prefer them to go together a little more smoothly. It is obviously just personal taste, so if you like them, great. I think he is great at doing swirls, I just don't care for his style.
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverKing View Post
I can understand your being unhappy with him, he is an odd bird (as well as the rest of the Martin crew) - I've always been treated fairly by him, but I DO know he is faulty at getting back in touch with you on an order. Sometimes I feel like I have to be the sales guy. . . But the store down in Southaven's great - Dave (the manager), Kevin and Jordan are very down to earth and eager to help out any way they can. They're almost a nice buffer between Eric and the client. But like I said, I really haven't had any problems with Eric.

Don't mean to bring up the aforementioned GC again, but they do carry a slew of PRS, a Grosh, 2 Tyler's, and so forth. Although I think Martin would have a better deal on the PRS. Ted Strange is the manager at GC, and he's a wickedly cool guy. But other than that, you're right about no other high end outlet. You think that in this 'music market' that there would be more options. . .
Wow, I totally forgot that they had another location. Doh! I need to go down there from what you say. Do they let you actually turn an amp up to a decent volume to test it out thoroughly? There's no way I'm buying a $2500 Mesa setup without having tested it out at a louder volume to get the power tubes cooking.

Also, what's their Ibanez stock like down there?

Sorry to hijack the thread.
post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

No problem! They actually have more Jackson at Southaven than anything, but they do have a nice dual rectifier rig to try anything out on. . . I called GC today, and they've already sold the ebony Jem (DOH!). I was actually looking at buying it back, guess I'll have to keep looking, or actually pay off the Les Paul I bought. . . . But seriously, if you want to rty anything out and are really concerned about service, just say that I (Gene) recommended you and they should treat you more than fairly (not like that should be necessary to get good service. . . ) , but they are really good guys down in Southaven. Let me know if I can help you out at all. . . I'll lety you know if I find another ebony Jem. . .

Tags
angelo batio , custom guitar , dimarzio pickup , dna swirl , dual rectifier , ebony board , eric johnson , eric johnson strat , herc fede , herc swirl , les paul , michael angelo batio , richard fay

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode