Here's a good trivia question... - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Here's a good trivia question...

What Jem did Steve use between when his Green Meanie died and EVO? Anyone who knows this gets the golden 'Jem dork' award

-Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 03:09 PM

Hello;
I try to answer :
It should be a jem 77 fp and a jem 777 (it's written in guitar extravaganza tabs). He was using these jem for skyscraper (198 , and he also use some "tom anderson guitars" on that album.
... am I wrong???... I think not but I could...

Bye

JS
PS : Of course, After that*, he used a "multicolor universe" and other jem (as read in the 1992 ibanez catalogue) on "passion and warfare"(1990)
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Trick question really... I've no idea myself!

All who know P&W know he used a UVMC, and poses with a white UV on the album / poster insert, but the question is, which 6 string Jem does he use?

If he used a 77fp and 777 (which one? DY, SK, or LNG...) for skyscraper in addition to his tom andersons, perhaps he used these right up until EVO.. hmm!
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 05:49 PM

I had look at vai.com to see if I could find the answer there. Here's a couple that he was definetly using:

Jem777sk:
http://www.vai.com/Machines/guitarpages/guitar020.html
quote:
One of the first pink Jems. Steve had this guitar modified with a built-in preamp, giving it a 6 dB boost, and used it extensively on the David Lee Roth "Skyscraper" tour in 1988.

Jem777lng:
http://www.vai.com/Machines/guitarpages/guitar019.html
quote:
This particular guitar was used by Steve on tour in 1988 and can be seen in the "Stand Up" video.

Jem777vdy
http://www.vai.com/Machines/guitarpages/guitar018.html
quote:
One of the very first desert yellow Jem guitars. Steve used this one extensively on the David Lee Roth "Skyscraper" tour.

Jem77fp
http://www.vai.com/Machines/guitarpages/guitar104.html
quote:
This particular guitar was used on the 1990 Whitesnake world tour.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 01:28 PM

Actually, Vai used a variety of axes on PAW. On Slip of the Tongue, it's all 7-string EXCEPT for on song which I believe was Cheap and Nasty (I have this interview somewhere). I believe I also read that somewhere around the time period of these albums, he used a Jem777VBK rather extensively for the 6-string work.

Mike 777

Last edited by mike777; 01-12-2011 at 06:50 PM.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike777
Actually, Vai used a variety of axes on PAW. On Slip of the Tongue, it's all 7-string EXCEPT for on song which I believe was Cheap and Nasty (I have this interview somewhere). I believe I also read that somewhere around the time period of these albums, he used a Jem777VBK rather extensively for the 6-string work.

Mike 777 Haug
Bizzare...I was at the Providence show of that tour and remember commenting and discussing that the whole night was "nothing but UVs" as far as we could see from the stage.

*shakes head*

I'm damned near ashamed that I haven't seen a gig of his since then. But hey, it did take me a solid 9 years to make it through college.....at several different locations....and let's not get into different majors. At times I believe I graduated because they ran out of courses for me to take....

yes...my pennance will be making it out for the next tour...
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 01:34 PM

Heh-heh! Actually, I was just referring to studio six-string work. I know what you mean though. When I saw Whitesnake in 1990-it was almost a UV exibit. Vai changed guitars like Stevie Nicks changes gowns.

Mike 777

Last edited by mike777; 01-12-2011 at 06:50 PM.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

A 777VBK... wow... if he used that to record any of PAW that'd make me keel over, I just got one used... of course, I think there were more than 777 VBKs made right? 777 of the LNGs, and that was just one year of production... if the VBK was produced for 5 years doing simple math that'd mean close to 4,000...

-Alex
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalemB
Jem77fp
http://www.vai.com/Machines/guitarpages/guitar104.html
quote:
This particular guitar was used on the 1990 Whitesnake world tour.
Anybody notice there's pyramids on that neck? i like the colorful pyramids on the rosewood (a la UVMC). Is that the only jem that has pyramids on rosewood? (i know it wasn't a production model)

~Kenny
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 04:22 PM
EKG

Not a production model.....sadly
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBHome
A 777VBK... wow... if he used that to record any of PAW that'd make me keel over, I just got one used... of course, I think there were more than 777 VBKs made right? 777 of the LNGs, and that was just one year of production... if the VBK was produced for 5 years doing simple math that'd mean close to 4,000...

-Alex
Naw....PAW was done with these:

http://www.vai.com/Machines/guitarpages/guitar026.html

...and the UV with the handle:

http://www.vai.com/Machines/guitarpages/guitar029.html

and a spotted one:

http://www.vai.com/Machines/guitarpages/guitar032.html

and a white one:

http://www.vai.com/Machines/guitarpages/guitar036.html

Which of course makes me wonder....how many damned prototypes of the UV line are there? And more improtantly....how many did he tour with when he was with Whitesnake?

As far as I'm aware the UV777BKs are only a few years old. According to the handy Jemsite graph they started in 1998. The UV777LNG was limited to 777 like the Jem777LNG....quaint little courtesy there.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 09:52 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarekrough
The UV777LNG was limited to 777 like the Jem777LNG....quaint little courtesy there.
I think you better go check the spec sheet again
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-20-2002, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarekrough
The UV777LNG was limited to 777 like the Jem777LNG....quaint little courtesy there.
I think you better go check the spec sheet again
*blinks*

My bad....

For some reason I'd always thought they'd been done that way.....but for some reason now that I think about it the concept just seems totally wrong....and the corroborating evidence for being wrong is there.

Thanks!
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-20-2002, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

So, Skarekrough, that would mean that he didn't use any Jems at all for PAW, but only UVs?

"Erotic Nightmares" can be played on a 6 string, so I don't see why he'd need a UV for that song.. quite a few others I can understand... including For the Love of God, even though he plays the solo for it in his video with his Monterey Tribute Jem...

Man, thif if confushing! Let's just ask the man himself and get it over with

-Alex
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-20-2002, 12:41 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBHome
including For the Love of God, even though he plays the solo for it in his video with his Monterey Tribute Jem...
Look closer, it's a UV

Tags
custom jem , david lee roth , ibanez catalog , les paul , les paul standard , production model

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode