Hey JS owners...I need a small favor - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Talking Hey JS owners...I need a small favor

Hey guys, I need a favor...I need two measurements from a JS. The first from the center of the 12th fret to the center of the neck humbucker(between the coils), and the second from the 12th to the center of the bridge humbucker. I've always wanted a JS but could never afford one. A while back I sold all my Strats and bought a J-Custom RG8470 RS and while I love it I still kind of wish I bought the JS 1600 I wanted. Well I'm a highly trained precision woodworker and built my first custom 13 years ago so...I'm building one...sort of. Its actually a 25.5", 22 fret through neck loaded with 5 carbon fiber rods and no truss rod (Gibson tilt back style too) with a beautiful tiger honduran mahogany body (RG outline with the horns toned down to look more like a strat). I special ordered an Ibanez gibralter III bridge and quick change III tail-piece with tone pros locking studs for both. Currently I'm waiting on two chrome top Dimarzio's(PAF PRO and FRED...of course) which will sit on two graduated and tilted humbucker rings to match the neck tilt. Instead of the typical JS push pull pot wiring however I am hoping to achive the same switching system by going with a "free-way" six way toggle from Stewmac(like on the Jimmy Page black beauty Les Paul but wired like a JS). There are many more unique features to this crazy guitar but in the end it will play and sound like a JS 1600....or I sure hope so. I'll post a couple pictures tomorrow so you can get a feel for it. It sounds like Frankenstein's monster but it will look classic with any luck. Thanks for helping me out. ~earthling~

Last edited by earthling; 05-27-2010 at 03:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 12:10 AM

Re: Hey JS owners...I need a small favor

from my JS6: 177mm, 281mm

my only charge are pics, and a body of my own. i don't need the neckthru, just a body would be great.

also, if you haven't seen them online, i've got pdf of quasi-blueprint of the body. PM me and i'll send it to you.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 05:35 AM Thread Starter

Smile Re: Hey JS owners...I need a small favor

Thanks! I think I have the "quasi bp you mentioned but I just wanted the dims from an actual JS to be sure. I'll post a few pics after work this evening. I wish it was further along then it is. For now here is a pic of the wood I used for the body. Because its a neck-thru I cut the center block to a 3/8" point on the bottom ending up with a 3-piece body which I really like. Yeah...more pics tonight!
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 05:37 AM Thread Starter

Cool Re: Hey JS owners...I need a small favor

I can't seem to get the pic to post. I'll try again later after work.

Last edited by earthling; 06-01-2010 at 05:47 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 05:38 AM Thread Starter

Re: Hey JS owners...I need a small favor

Guess I did. lol
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Talking Re: Hey JS owners...I need a small favor

As promised here it is! Keep in mind that this guitar isn't intended to be a JS copy(obviously) but instead I am taking all the features I like from a my old Voodoo Stratocaster(reverse set-back headstock, stratty horns), Les Paul(tilt neck, tune-o-matic style bridge), RG(body size and contours) and JS(neck dimensions and electronics) and building one unique guitar that looks classic in its own way. I only glued it up last Saturday so this picture is of raw wood and epoxy resin still on the surface. I will post more pictures as I progress. The neck dimensions and electronics will however be very similer to the JS series. Thanks for looking!

Last edited by earthling; 06-01-2010 at 05:47 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Wink Re: Hey JS owners...I need a small favor

Okay...So I spent a good deal of time working on the guitar last weekend and here it is in a state of semi-completion. I'm still waiting on some chrome top Dimarzios and Rich is mailing out some capacitors today. This week I will be adding a 1/4" round detail all around the body(like on the Andy Timmons model), the typical RG body contours and the final neck and heel shaping(I'll show the back next once I'm happy with the profile work). I plan on having it ready to spray by this weekend at which time I will get a coat or two on it and turn it over to my Father's skilled hands for the next week for final finishing(he is the fine cabinet maker that taught me everything I know).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new pic smaller.jpg (61.4 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by earthling; 06-01-2010 at 07:00 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: Hey JS owners...I need a small favor

...and thanks lerxst6 for those measurements! I put them to good use!

Tags
js 1000 1200 1600 ibanez

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode