Higher Action On Universe - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 01:40 AM Thread Starter

Higher Action On Universe

Hey all,
Was messing around giving my universe UV777GR a setup, right? Well,i noticed even with the stud sunk all the way in the action on my UV777 is higher than my UV7BK. Then i noticed actual stud support thing in the wood is sitting higher. Is it possible to just tap this in a bit deeper and fix it or am i gonna have to pull it out and give a bit of a route to it and then put it back in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 01:47 AM

Re: Higher Action On Universe

A neck shim will fix that problem lickety-split.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 03:28 AM
Vendor

GR's could all definately use a neck shim.

How far out is the stud? If it's just barely exposed it may have been that way originally, Inspect the paint for signs of lifting. If it's out a couple mm then it definately needs to be pulled and reset. First you want to push it all the way in though to check if it's actually loose and possibly why it raised. Use an old stud if you have one, lock it, I use pliers and just push straight down until it seats, the try and move it back and forth hard toward the headstock and opposite, that's the direction the holes oblong in. If it's really loose it might need a fill, a hair loose and wood glue will reseat it and fill a small gap. If it's not loose I'd still pull it and seat it with a little wood glue to make sure it stays put. Make sure to cut any paint out of the way before you pull it or you might pull a chunk off.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks rich. I cant believe i didnt think of a shim, Musta had a brain fart. So i did that and that fixed the proble right away. I Figured since i was working on it, i'd check the studs... the bass side one was loose, but the hole hadnt ovaled. So i just put some wood glue in there and let it sit. I'll put the bridge back on tomorrow and i'll be good. Thanks again.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 04:17 AM

Was my post invisible to you? ;-D
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

well no, but it didnt mention anything about the posts, which was my primary concern. Thanks tho ;p
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 01:45 PM

edit.

Last edited by LoverMan; 01-09-2005 at 04:02 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakma!!
Thanks rich. I cant believe i didnt think of a shim, Musta had a brain fart. So i did that and that fixed the proble right away. I Figured since i was working on it, i'd check the studs... Thanks again.
Oops, I guess this confused me. :-D
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

lol wow

Tags
neck shim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode