History of the sevens???? Please help!!!! - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-03-2003, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

History of the sevens???? Please help!!!!

Hello. I am researching the history of Steve Vai's obsession of the number seven for a degree paper. As you know from the 777 Jem to the 7th song album release, the number seven keeps "popping up". I would be grateful if anyone had any information on this . Many thanks, Steve. [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-03-2003, 10:43 AM

You might find some info in this thread:

http://www.jemsite.com/phpbb/viewtop...ght=numerology

There's some interesting info here too:

http://www.astrology-numerology.com/numerology.html

Your best bet would probably be to find some books or do a web search on numerology in general. The number 7 is pretty widely regarded as having some special numerological mojo.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-03-2003, 10:44 AM

I think it is just a "lucky number" for him... It is written in one of his tab book (maybe the "paw" one).
Js
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-03-2003, 12:12 PM

I remember talking about a JEM777 to a non-guitarist who said "Oh 777... instead of 666". Maybe he had something there.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-03-2003, 01:51 PM

If I recall correctly, I believe I read in a local music paper that it was a spiritual number for him. It was noted by the interviewer at the time (PAW had just been released) that each side had 7 tracks on it.

This should be an interesting paper. Please share with the rest of us when you finish it. I'd be interested in reading it.

Mike 777 Haug
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-03-2003, 05:53 PM

Here's a lead from a quickie search, I have no idea how reliable this site is but it gives some references.

http://www.homestead.com/dclwolf/seven.html

But the notion of seven as a "perfect number" has a lot of historical significance in the Biblical tradition. "Seven times seven" is even more perfect, and, "three sevens in a Trinity" is practically the "ultra zone" of perfection. So to speak.

Matthew 1:17
"So all the generations from Abraham unto David are fourteen generations; and from David unto the carrying away to Babylon fourteen generations; and from the carrying away to Babylon unto the Christ fourteen generations."

....which a theologian once told me meant:
14 + 14 +14 = 42 = 7 x 6
7 x 7 then, equals Christ

But believe me you'll find people and places on the net much more capable of expounding on this than am I. Good luck on the paper!
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-03-2003, 06:28 PM

intersting thomas....
I believe you're beginning to hit it.

there is all sorts of magic circling the number 7, at least in vai's eyes.

Perhaps you can ask the boys at Vai.com......I'm sure they'll know a little something something for ya!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-03-2003, 11:31 PM

It's also a nice number in Vegas...

I remember an interview where he went into this actually. Either that or he was explaining the triangle...something about him having a meditation area in a room, where he had the triangle or 7's to meditate under...I forget, but it was in a magazine I believe... I'm thinking the one with Sisters transcribed and him on the cover with the white UV, sitting with a white hat and a pony tail. Guitar Player?

It definitely would be interesting to read the paper you write though... It'd be even more cool if The Man Himself read it here and replied.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2003, 03:54 AM

Donīt forget Maidenīs "seventh son of a seventh son". Didnīt Steve play on a group named 777?
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2003, 03:59 AM

It's like Black Francis said;

"If man is five, then the Devil is six
And if the Devil is six, then God is seven
This monkey's gone to Heaven"

"This Monkey's Gone To Heaven", The Pixies.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2003, 10:26 AM

Love that album by the Pixies! ("Doolittle") A classic. Not sure about the "If..then" logic of that particular lyric but it's a great song. He really shrieks that lyric too.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2003, 10:59 AM

just out of curiousity

I've been pondering a question along this theme, and forgive my ingorance, but I have been unable to find an existing thread that allready adresses this question. What does the different number of sevens in the jem models represent? Right now the top of the line jems are the 7VWH and the 7VSBL. in the past there have been jem777 and jem77 models as well. Does the different number of sevens in the model represent something significant?
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2003, 07:22 PM

It's all over the site, but starting in the photo gallery woul give you some clues, since they are listed by their models...
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2003, 08:55 PM

Also.......the bible uses these numbers. 7 is considered a perfect number that is godlike and 6 is less perfect. The number assigned to Satan the Serpent (liar) is 666 to denote imperfection, 777 would mean heavenly perfection. Try doing a search for the biblical allusions to these numbers and you'll find a whole lot of info. If not I can prolly help you with some research material. Thanks, Jim
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-05-2003, 12:10 AM

So, rightly, anything with a 555 or 333 would be even less perfect then right?

Tags
steve vai , stu hamm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode