Hmm, GMC help? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Hmm, GMC help?

Im kinda lost on something here, becuase of my budget, but here goes...

So, i understand that the GMC's are painted white as a base coat before you swirl green and black, but if i used a white primer instead, would i still be okay? I CAN buy white paint, but i dont feel like painting anymore and because i want to make a profit out of this guitar. Any ideas...

Aaaand, what kind of paint should i use for the clear coat? And it has to be aerosol, because remember, my budget...and dont worry about it melting the swirl, because im going to protect it with minwax poly before i apply the clear. Hey, you never know what could happen!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 06:54 AM
HDS

Re: Hmm, GMC help?

Errrr um, why are you going to paint over the clear poly?
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

what do you mean?
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 01:56 PM
HDS

"what kind of paint should i use for the clear coat? And it has to be aerosol, because remember, my budget...and dont worry about it melting the swirl, because im going to protect it with minwax poly before i apply the clear."

You said what kind of pain should you use for clea coat. Minwax poly is a clear coat Not a very good one but one none the less. I dont recommend. I would just get real DOV clear and be done with it. Alsa corp sell some pretty damn good clear and it isnt to costly.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Oh, i was just going to put the minwax clear as a seal coat. You know, so nothing happens to the swirl.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 05:06 PM

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 05:22 PM

Two things - Firstly, it might be harder than you think to make a profit on you first swirl, and secondly, I'm not sure about mixing the clear coats (ie, using a coat of something to protect the swirl and then putting a different clear over that), because surely the second clear is still attacking the first clear, you just can't see it like you would if it was attacking the swirl? If that's the case, which I suspect it is, then that doesn't bode well for the paint staying on, long term. I think you're much better just staying with one paint system for the paint and the clear, at least then nothing should be reacting badly with another, either quickly or over time (hopefully).
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 05:24 PM

And to answer your initial question, I can't see why only white primer first wouldn't be okay - I wouldn't think you'd have to do a coat of white paint before the swirl. I would think that primer would be ideal. Just my opinion - anyone else got any?
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Well, what clear would you suggest for humbrol paints(basically just enamel paint)?
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy43
Well, what clear would you suggest for humbrol paints(basically just enamel paint)?
Ummm, I can't really help you there - I would go with what HDS said, or ask him to clarify exactly what he would recommend. I tried using plasti-kote enamel paint for the swirl (it worked well for swirling), but I couldn't find a suitable clear coat (that could be cut back and polished, etc), so I did loads more experimenting and changed paint types completely. But I live in the UK, and it may be that in the US you can get suitable clear products to go over enamel. I'm pretty sure HDS uses enamel, so he will know far more than me on that score. Sorry, can't be more help on that.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 06:40 AM
HDS

Any paint for swirling would be find but you should use a low solvent DOV clear to keep from any crazing to the swirl paint. $35 you can get it, plus have lots left for about 6 other guitars. I have used water born clears but they plain suck. You could do water born over swirl paint and then low solvent DOV.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

Where can i get DOV clear?
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 11:59 AM
HDS

I get my supplys from http://www.kustomrides.com/index.htm

Most comps dont like selling direct to hobbyists (big this stuff is toxic) so I found this guy who I have done well with. And he sells what I need from the company I want.

Sorry, I kept thinking DOV its VOC =p (minds gone from sprying )

VOC stands for "Volatile Organic Compounds".
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

So, is this stuff so toxic, that i cant spray it in my backyard?
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 06:07 PM
HDS

No you can, just get a mask.

Tags
clear coat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode