Holy New JEM's batman! what the heck is steve playing?!? - Page 3 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-09-2003, 12:34 PM

i trully cannot wait to hear this record. it mustve been amazing. Steve has got to release it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-09-2003, 11:30 PM
MM

Hi Folks,

I told Steve you were all interested to know about the guitar, and here's his response!

Quote:
Ahh,
This was a prototype guitar I was working on with Ibanez. The idea was to create the Ultra Guitar with many features that you would never see on a guitar.
It has a built in tuner, headphone system, and complete FX built into it. Actually it has a Pandora's box built into it! A sustainer; built in wireless system; all sorts of phase switches and a ton of other stuff I can't remember. Two years of work went into this guitar and the plan was to make it a commercial item but the cost would have been very expensive, and as a result we scrapped it. I don't even know where this guitar is right now but it's around here somewhere it's it is Ultra Cooool.

s.
I'll dig it up, and when I do, I'll take a bunch of photos and put them on Vai.com for your viewing pleasure.

Peace,

Mikey
vai.com
post #33 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-09-2003, 11:36 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM
but the cost would have been very expensive, and as a result we scrapped it. I don't even know where this guitar is right now but it's around here somewhere it's it is Ultra Cooool.

vai.com

I guiess we can stop speculating on when the Ultra Jem finally goes into production.
post #34 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-09-2003, 11:38 PM

Dude, you rock!

Thanks,

jim
post #35 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-10-2003, 12:09 AM

I'd still like to see an "Ultra" JEM of sorts with at least the Sustainer, Double-Edge, and maybe a midi hookup of some kind.
post #36 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-10-2003, 12:20 AM

Does that literally mean a Korg Pandora, or was that just an expression?
post #37 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-10-2003, 12:33 AM

Judging from the switches and vais use of it i would imagine so. Im willing to bet he could really sell an ultra jim with piezos and a sustainer though. I think anything more would just be too many knobs, switches and so forth
post #38 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-10-2003, 01:01 AM

I'm not fussy, I'd be happy with just the sustainer.
post #39 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 02:39 PM

Reviews: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperfrommars1
Judging from the switches and vais use of it i would imagine so. Im willing to bet he could really sell an ultra jim with piezos and a sustainer though. I think anything more would just be too many knobs, switches and so forth
Nah, throw in the kitchen sink!!!

The piezo, sustainer (maybe MIDI, never touched one myself), tuner & headphone out would be too killer for words.

"One axe to rule them all...."
post #40 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 04:31 PM

too expensive?!? ahh... but itd be soooo worth it, come on i mean, if people can pay 3500+ for a zakk wylde (lp custom with emgs) this would be more like a bang for the buck deal.
post #41 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 12:29 PM

Whatever happened to this thing anyways? It's not in the Vai.com guitar gallery...I want to see/know more!
post #42 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 01:49 PM

I think it might have potential as a made-to-order item. Not custom, just take orders for a few months at a time and build based on the number of requests. Major pain on the retail end though.

Mike 777 Haug
post #43 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 07:49 PM

When I get a new axe im going to make my strat just decked out! Roland pickup, sustainer(Maybe, i dont really wanna loose my neck sound), and a piezo bridge definately. And lots of random switchs, a kill switch would be cool. If you look at pictures at some of Steves Guitars they have little switchs here and there for whatever reasons.
post #44 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackstrat86
When I get a new axe im going to make my strat just decked out! Roland pickup, sustainer(Maybe, i dont really wanna loose my neck sound), and a piezo bridge definately.
Well, you can combine the 13-pin output and the piezo bridge with an RMC or Graphtech Ghost installation (or the new RG1520GK - 13-pin output froma piezo loaded Double Edge).

And you could always install a Sustainiac Stealth and your choice of neck pickup next to each other...
post #45 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 09:26 PM

Reviews: 4
Re: Holy New JEM's batman! what the heck is steve playing?!?

Sorry for the gigantic necro, I stumbled on this by total accident. But I was wondering if there are any pics of this thing floating around? The links at the beginning of the thread are dead.

This is kinda reminiscent of that "revolutionary new trem" thing .

Tags
bridge pickup , frank zappa , midi pedal , neck pickup , piezo bridge , piezo pickup , piezo pickups , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in