Home ATD swirl - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 06:07 AM Thread Starter

Home ATD swirl

Ok... so Im obsessed with Darren's work, so I learned how to swirl but it's very expensive and time consuming and still not incredibly happy. And seeing as though he's disappeared and I can't afford an ATD swirl just yet I may be waiting a while. The in another thread I saw someone had used fabric for a finish much like the FP and had an idea. I took some really bad mock photos just to see if it'd sorta work. Just for an idea really... I have another garment with more colour although I think the pattern on the 1 I tried would suit better. Does anyone have any experience with binding fabric to wood? Is it hard? and is the clearing process any different?

http://gallery.mac.com/themi.l#100047

http://gallery.mac.com/themi.l#10003...lack&view=grid

The only real problem I can predict is the swirl not being complete. There will be enough material to cover the whole body but the swirl wont join at some point. I would assume I'd join it at the trem cavity at the back. Any input would be great

Cheers
Themi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 07:40 AM

Re: Home ATD swirl

I think the test swirls you posted before looked better, but here is a tutorial link:
http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/mat.htm
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Avi... Yer obviously done properly, it would look better than the jumper wrapped around my RG.... haha. Ahh well.. just an idea, I thought an ATD fabric swirl would be cool.

Rg 570SP (swirl pattern)
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 07:50 AM

The second jumper with the PAW color scheme looks good, so if you choose to go fabric then use that one.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

Yer they are both UVMC jumpers, its just that the 1 on the RG is severly faded and nowhere near as full coloured.

Tags
atd swirl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode