how can i make my real floyd js bend notes in tune? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

how can i make my real floyd js bend notes in tune?

replaced my edge with an FR...and i love it. But what can i do to bend notes in tune? what does joe do? the alien whammy squeals are awesome, but it won't sound right on my guitar as 2 whammyed(?) notes will not stay in tune. anyone have some suggestions?

bty: that bridge is up on another thread thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 12:39 PM
Vendor

Joe uses nothing more special than 2 47mm springs and then micro adjusts pitch with his fingers. The "alien squeels" are harmonics.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

i know how to do the squeals, but they do not sound right on my js, they go out of tune once i whammy down or up and i was wondering how to correct it. how can i fix this?
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyCOA
i know how to do the squeals, but they do not sound right on my js, they go out of tune once i whammy down or up and i was wondering how to correct it. how can i fix this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
Joe...micro adjusts pitch with his fingers.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 04:01 PM

I don't think he's communicating very well, but I believe what he's trying to say is "forget the squeels, my guitar goes out of tune when I use my whammy bar."
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 04:46 PM

umm, you replaced the edge w/ an FR and complain about out of tune returns?

~A
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 06:38 PM

Dude, if the edge pro you're selling in the other thread is the trem that was in your axe before you swapped it, your intonation should be WAY out of whack now. The position of the anchors is different on OFRs and the EP trems.

To your question:
Are you talking about the other strings going flat while you're bending a string? To solve this, get a tremsetter (backstop, hipshot, whatever).

Or are you talking about the strings not being in tune relatively to each other while pulling up the bar? That's normal. The low E string should go up 5-6-7 steps while the high e just does 3 steps.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

i don't have tuning problems. but if i hit harmonics on two strings simultaneously and bend up or down, they don't stay in tune together. i would love a backstop, if anyone knows where i can get one give me a heads up.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 10:22 PM

Quote:
i don't have tuning problems. but if i hit harmonics on two strings simultaneously and bend up or down, they don't stay in tune together. i would love a backstop, if anyone knows where i can get one give me a heads up.
Waitaminnit...
You hit harmonics on 2 strings. True harmonics or false (pinch) ones? You bend with your fingers or pull up on the trem?

The problem with ALL floating trems is that bending strings affect the other strings. This makes lots of double stop techniques more difficult than on a hardtail. It sounds like you're running into this. The solution is to tweak the strings - not bend them the same amount - to keep the notes in tune. This is a technique in itself, and requires practice.

If you're hitting natural harmonics and pulling up on the bar, you can't keep them in tune unless you get a Steinberger TransTrem.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2004, 12:22 AM

Quote:
i don't have tuning problems. but if i hit harmonics on two strings simultaneously and bend up or down, they don't stay in tune together.
Sorry but not even Joe could get two harmonics on separate strings to bend by the same intervals simultaneously using an Edge or Floyd Rose. It seems you may be confusing that hypothetical technique with Joe's habit of striking a pinch harmonic on an open string while using his fretting hand to work the bar, which has a different tonal characteristic to fretted harmonics and tends to allow some of the original note to blend with the harmonic.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2004, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

aaah. i thought he was hitting two open string harmonics, then hitting the bar. if it's only one, that's makes sense. i would still love to find a backstop, but it is refreshing to find out that joe really is only human.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2004, 09:38 PM

He's not... He's part alien...
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babahi
He's not... He's part alien...
Yeah but which part?

Tags
floating trems , floyd rose

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode