How to clean ebony board on my JEM7VWH - hey Rich...... - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-29-2001, 12:53 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 5
How to clean ebony board on my JEM7VWH - hey Rich......

topic says it all. *I own a '98 JEM7VWH. *The board seems less dark and shows some playing wear on it (like the Rosewood board on your tutorial did). *How do I get the playing grunge off of it and keep it oiled? *Is the process the same for ebony?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-29-2001, 01:00 AM
Vendor

How to clean ebony board on my JEM7VWH

Treat ebony the same as rosewood. The next time I do one I'll be trying out a fine Scotchbrite pad, but only to get to the very edge of the fret since it's nice and straight. I'll still use 0000 for the rest.
post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-29-2001, 01:49 AM

Don't treat ebony like rosewood.
Don't sand or Scotchbrite anything yet (read on...)
Don't use anything silicone- or wax-based. *It will either collect dirt or over-moisturize your board (like WD-40, Pledge, or 3-in-1 oil)

Try "Scott's Liquid Gold". *I swear by it. *If you REALLY take care of your guitar(s), you use that stuff.

They used to have it in little jars, but I guess the aerosol can would work. *I know what I'm getting Rich for X-mas: a gallon of the stuff! *:-)
post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-29-2001, 01:52 AM
Vendor

Please, save your money, I hate that stuff!!
post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-29-2001, 01:53 AM

Reviews: 3

I would recomend steel wool on my fretboard about as much as I'd recomend Taco Bell hot sauce in your gas tank.

If you can't get the liquid gold stuff, Endust works great too. *I can't emphasize the "Don't use anything silicone- or wax-based." message enough.
post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-29-2001, 01:56 AM
Vendor

If you just want to clean it there's no need for steel wool. That's only if you want to even out the board *wear*!
post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-29-2001, 02:02 AM

For grunge and finger-funk on a fretboard, use the Scott's Liquid Gold. *
Wipe/spray it on, let it soak in and work for a few minutes, wipe it off.

To me, anything else is half-assed or not good for wood.

Whatever you do, remember not to treat ebony the same as rosewood.
post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-29-2001, 02:05 AM

Another good idea...

Wash the BBQ sauce, manure, chocolate frosting, McDonald's grease or any other grime you have on your hands away before playing. *I honestly don't know how people's guitars get in the condition they are in. *Even after a few months without a cleaning my fretboards don't have much more than a little gunk by the frets.
post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-29-2001, 02:07 AM
Vendor

OK, I'll bite, why would you treat ebony any different than rosewood? And Chris said he had some playing wear he wanted to get rid of, Liquid Gold isn't going to do that, and it stinks. Bore oil has no smell and comes highly recomended by your pal Ken Burtch :biggrin:
post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-29-2001, 02:15 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

IMHO there is pretty much no reason to steel wool a rosewood or ebony board... especially for "cleaning". I'd simply use Endust and if you feel oiling is sooooo crucial stick with Bore oil.

The only reason the steel wool is useful for maple boards is because the dirt seeps into the light color maple making it unattractive and impossible to clean otherwise... glen
post #11 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-29-2001, 02:22 AM

I don't know why you'd treat them differently... but maybe since ebony is more dense you'd want to give more time for the chemicals you're cleaning with to soak in.
post #12 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-29-2001, 02:23 AM
Vendor

If I'm just *cleaning* the board of one of my players I prefer nothing but dry rag, and scrape off anything that's crusty. I never oil the boards on my players. On 'inventory' I equate it to your car dealer giving your new car a coat of wax and full tank of gas.
post #13 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-29-2001, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Quote: from jem7vwh on 11:53 pm on Oct. 28, 2001
topic says it all.....How do I get the playing grunge off of it and keep it oiled? *Is the process the same for ebony?
That's what Chris said.

Would you treat maple and ebony the same? *Would you treat mahogany and rosewood the same? *How about quilted maple and flame maple?

Different woods have different needs and should be treated accordingly. *Sanding down maple is quite different than sanding down ebony which is different than sanding down rosewood. *It's like treating an F-40 the same way you'd treat a Huffy.

Bore oil? *Like the stuff used on guns? *Are we cleaning a fretboard or a PSG-1? *Jeez....that oil will collect dirt like Osama's butt crack. *No wonder those boards turn out looking like Malmsteen just finished a career on them.

I'll talk to Ken about the Scott's. *
post #14 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-29-2001, 02:26 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

i don't oil players either.

Quote:
On 'inventory' I equate it to your car dealer giving your new car a coat of wax and full tank of gas.
hehe... it's really more like 'compounding' cause you're scraping away material (ie. wood) w/ the wool... glen
post #15 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-29-2001, 02:27 AM

Just an assumption from someone who's never used bore oil before.

Wouldn't that seep into the wood and cause for some nasty damage of some sort over time? *Sounds like a good thing to research and I am off to do just that.
Closed Thread

Tags
dan erlewine , ebony board , finger board , flame maple , guitar tech , quilted maple , rosewood board , steel wool , wiring diagram

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode