How could you slightly touch up finish on a JEM 7 BSB? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 07:57 AM Thread Starter

How could you slightly touch up finish on a JEM 7 BSB?

I've been considering picking up a JEM 7 BSB should one come along at an affordable price (which it appears historically they have now and then).

Whilst I understand there will be some wear to the stained finish (around the edges etc.) I'm finding lots of used examples have large patches that are back to plain wood even on the front.

I found and read an article that talks about re-staining the whole guitar and even gives a brand and colour code for the stain but there are two problems as the product doesn't appear to be sold over this side of the pond (shipping liquids overseas can be an issue too) and although I haven't yet seen one in real life most of the guitars now appear more green than blue - which I actually far prefer.

With technology these days is there now a way of matching the green colour and just staining a small area as needed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 12:18 PM

Like any refurb or touch up..you either go in to do a total refurb. Do the whole Jem or live with a touch up.
On painted and cleared Jems I always try to sand buff and wax to make it pop like orignal.
If you do a total refurb on a finish make sure its done right. Someone that has experience. Other wise you end up having that Jem that everyone see's as an out of place refurb.
Stain is harder to match than paint.

Good luck

Tags
bsb , ibanez , jem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode