How did Steve Vai tune to Drop D on Bad Horsie - Isn`t that - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2002, 04:55 AM Thread Starter

How did Steve Vai tune to Drop D on Bad Horsie - Isn`t that

Well, it sounds like drop d, isn`t it hard to detune a guitar with a locking trem?
Well he has the money to have ONE of his guitars detuned... But if I buy a JEM and decide I would like to try playing something detuned, impossible???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2002, 05:11 AM

How did Steve Vai tune to Drop D on Bad Horsie

He uses thicker gauge strings on those, like .11
And it's dropped D with the lowest on C.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2002, 06:51 AM

Quote:
MrNiceguy87 on 4:55 am on Feb. 7, 2002
Well, it sounds like drop d, isn`t it hard to detune a guitar with a locking trem?
Well he has the money to have ONE of his guitars detuned... But if I buy a JEM and decide I would like to try playing something detuned, impossible???
Detuning a guitar with a locking trem isn't really hard, I've done it for years now... The only thing you really have to do is put some heavier gauge strings on and tweak the setup a bit and hey presto! done. It will take a while to retune, but it's not really a problem if you don't mind doing the occasional minor adjustment.

Or you can just block the trem for when you want to detune.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2002, 08:40 AM

Steve uses a second guitar tuned for Bad Horsie and even had it marked under the bridge (B Horse)
He only used that guitar for that one song so it was always tuned and ready to go. Then he does not have to take the time and hassal of tuning his main guitar for it.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2002, 03:58 PM

A little "Bad Horsie" history-

The song that appears on the actual cd wasn't recorded with the Bad Horsie guitar, it was recorded with another JEM, which has a naturally finished body. (I believe pics are on Jemsite.com..) I believe the recorded guitar had an ash body as well. The Bad Horsie does indeed have an ash body.

Also, the guitar is tuned to C-G-C-F-A-D, which, as someone stated earlier, is Drop D, down a step.
Also, Bad Horsie was used on the G3/Fire Garden tours for "There's A Fire In The House" as well.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2002, 04:31 PM

Right you are.
And if you download the bad horsie Video Clip from Vai.com (that clip rocks this planet), then you'll find he plays it on a regular VWH, with a black pickguard, and a black middle pu.
Glen has made a touched up pic of that one here on Jemsite, but there's no mention of it on vai.com.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2002, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Jeroenn on 4:31 pm on Feb. 7, 2002
Right you are.
And if you download the bad horsie Video Clip from Vai.com (that clip rocks this planet), then you'll find he plays it on a regular VWH, with a black pickguard, and a black middle pu.
Glen has made a touched up pic of that one here on Jemsite, but there's no mention of it on vai.com.
I wanna see! Hmm...anyone seen the movie Candyman??
Glen, Glen, Glen, Glen, Glen.........*looking into the screen*

Tags
black pickguard , fire garden , gauge strings

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode