How to display JEM JR Signed and named by Steve Vai and other guitars - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

How to display JEM JR Signed and named by Steve Vai and other guitars

Hi,

I got to meet Steve during the Passion and Warfare tour in the US, he signed my JEM JR.

Now the thing is, I want to preserve the JEM JR like art work. I have been reading how to preserve the signature, looks like I need a display case that protects against UV light.

I also got a Prestige RG655CBM because you know... I can't touch the JEM JR anymore, I don't want to mess up the signature.

I need ideas on how you guys preserve your guitars and display them. What kind of hooks for the walls, what kind of display cases, do you get them custom built? I saw some pictures of a JEM collection behind an acrylic door that looks awesome, feel free to share your ideas.

Last edited by algorithmsjoe; 02-26-2017 at 01:22 PM. Reason: fix typo and cleanup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 12:18 PM

Re: How to display JEM JR Signed and named by Steve Vai and other guitars

IMO, the cost of a UV-resistant display case is going to be quite a bit higher than the "value" of Vai's signature. I wouldn't worry about it - if it fades you can always have Vai resign it.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Hey Drew, I understand your point of view, online I see a few display cases listed for about 130 dollars. The back stage pass is almost twice as that and while I might do backstage for now on for further concerts I don't see me bringing my guitar each time.

We will see. All in all, another thread gave me a few ideas, but it looks like most people as you say don't worry about it. Even those with original LNG seem to just use theirs normally as a lot of those signatures have faded.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 12:53 PM

Well, I guess looking at it as "cost of attaining" makes it sound a little more reasonable, though to be fair the Evo Experience things aren't the only times you can get Vai to sign something - industry events, getting lucky and catching him outside his tour bus, etc.

But, the premium someone would pay for a signed JEM Jr. over an unsigned one is extremely modest, and possibly nonexistent.

I've seen guys preserve signatures using some sort of clear cling protective plastic - maybe look at something like that? All I can think is it's just a shame to not play a guitar you like because a guy you admire signed it.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 02:42 PM

I guess I should feel fortunate. I had my RG 570 signed by Steve on 7/7/1990 (Whitesnake played locally that day). And I know some people are not down with signatures on the front of the guitar, but I like where this one is.

In regards to the signature, I went to an art supply store, with my guitar, and got them to recommend a writing instrument that would hold up on the finish of the guitar. It was some sort of paint pen. So I brought my own "marker" and asked him to use that when he signed it.

For the few few years I kept the signature covered with small patch of cling wrap (ie saran wrap), held in place by something called FunTak or plasterTack, ie something used to hang posters/pictures on the wall with out making holes with thumbtacks. I eventually removed the cover and have left it like this since.

Anyway, considering this was signed 27 years ago, and I've played the heck out of this guitar... the signature has held up incredibly well.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 08:06 PM

Reviews: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluewookieJim View Post
Anyway, considering this was signed 27 years ago, and I've played the heck out of this guitar... the signature has held up incredibly well.
Indeed, that's quite impressive. However, it helps that he signed in an area which has no contact with your arm or hand, and this surely helps.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
I've seen guys preserve signatures using some sort of clear cling protective plastic - maybe look at something like that? All I can think is it's just a shame to not play a guitar you like because a guy you admire signed it.
I think I found some ideas on how to display it, got a nice Idea I think I can make it happen in a few months. Ill post pictures then.

I kind of got this JEM JR as both a trial to see if after 7+ years of not playing I was going to enjoy playing again and to get it signed and not touch it again. I had plans to get a better guitar if I felt I was going to really get into it.

Quote:
I guess I should feel fortunate. I had my RG 570 signed by Steve on 7/7/1990 (Whitesnake played locally that day). And I know some people are not down with signatures on the front of the guitar, but I like where this one is.
That is awesome! I was super happy to get it signed in the front, specially as I wanted it as "art piece" more than anything else. I see the guitar and I get a warm feeling and gets me inspired. However, I prefer playing my RG655 a lot more because it feels and sounds a lot better.

Quote:
It was some sort of paint pen. So I brought my own "marker" and asked him to use that when he signed it.
I think that makes it really permanent, mine is just a sharpie.

Last edited by algorithmsjoe; 02-14-2017 at 08:32 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Here is how I ended up displaying it:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/36727385062

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/36090075333

Last edited by algorithmsjoe; 08-29-2017 at 01:45 PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 11:00 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

nicely done!!!

Tags
jem jr signed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode