How Do You Change The Inlay on a Guitar Neck? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

How Do You Change The Inlay on a Guitar Neck?

Yeah I was wondering how you change the inlay on the guitar neck because I was thinking about getting a vine inlay put on my Ibanez RG370DX and also so if I was 2 buy a Jem tht did't have a vine inlay I could give it one! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 07:48 PM

Re: How Do You Change The Inlay on a Guitar Neck?

It could be done but it's not really practical. Doing so would require seeking a skilled luthier. He would have to remove the frets, carve out the inlay, replace the frets, level them, etc....Expect at least $500. You should probably just get a new neck.

But think about it. Is it really worth that much just to have a vine on your neck? I'd put the money towards something that would be for more useful (new amp, new guitar, new effects...just some ideas)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Fair Enough! That does sound like to much effort! Didn't think it would be as tricky as that! Although I know someone who would do it for a bottle of JD! He's built a couple of guitars from scratch and they sound awesome! I thought it might be a good idea because I'm going to put a swirl on my RG and he's sanding it down and sealing it for a bottle of JD so who knows! I'm saving up for a Jem anyway! Any Jem except the Jem555! I still wanna modify my RG though! I'll still be putting a swirl on it though! Thanks though!
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 08:54 PM

Wow there are soooo many exclamation points and uses of the word though in that post.

Haha I had to say it.

But yes if he will do it for a bottle of JD then definitely go for it!!!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 09:02 PM

Reviews: 25

umm if he has only built a few guitars from scratch, do you know he has the skills to actually pull it off ?? and if its for a 2nd bottle of JD, is he straight enough to do it right ?

I would never give my guitar to a drunk
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 07:45 PM

Hee hee. Yeah. Make sure he does the work BEFORE he drinks the JD! But seriously, check out some examples of his inlay work before you do it. Just because he has built a few guitars doesn't mean he is good at inlay (then again, he may be great). Could be a good deal, but check first.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

He won't get his JD till he's finished the work! I always end my sentences with exclamation marks! It's a bad habit! I dunno why I used the word "though" so often! He could pull it off as he did a course at college how to build instruments and other wooden objects and the electric guitar was one of those projects!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 09:14 AM

Reviews: 6

I am sorry mate, i don't want to sound skeptical or anything, but that's a lot of work for just a bottle of JD. Unless he's gonna cut corners, i don't see why he'd do this for just a bottle of JD. I mean, taking paint off the RG can be reaallly long. But the longest part is repairing and smoothing out all the kinks and mess up that were made while struggling to remove the finish.

Well if anything i guess you could fix it up a bit. I've done my share of free work just for experience, but when it was long i made sure to have an hourly compensation. I remember taking out a broken truss rod from a 76 telecaster. It was stressful, so i wanted him to take me as seriously as i took his instrument. I did it for 10$ an hour, and i didn't count the time the neck was clamped and drying or anything. Anyways, good luck with that. MY biggest advice, would be to learn to do that all by yourself. It's so much fun

At any rate, we demand pictures of the swirl when you're doing it!

regards!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 09:32 AM

Can I add something here?
Im assuming it has dot inlay...............I dont own a guitar with vine inlay.....I dont really care for em, but, after you route out the vine, I believe the dots are a slightly bigger circumfurance then the vine, especialy on the octave double dots.................assuming the vine is standard vine specs. I could be wrong here................like I said, I dont own a guitar with vine inlay
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender868 View Post
At any rate, we demand pictures of the swirl when you're doing it!

regards!
Yeah I'll put pictures up of a before and after shot when the swirl is done! I just don't know when it will be done because I constantly use my RG for gigs and stuff! So I need to find time when I'm not busy! Fair enough while thats getting done I could always use my Jackson DKMG!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranz 777 View Post
Can I add something here?
Im assuming it has dot inlay...............I dont own a guitar with vine inlay.....I dont really care for em, but, after you route out the vine, I believe the dots are a slightly bigger circumfurance then the vine, especialy on the octave double dots.................assuming the vine is standard vine specs. I could be wrong here................like I said, I dont own a guitar with vine inlay
In that case I'd probably be better buying a new neck or new fretboard! It has a shark fin inlay so it would be really tricky! I tend not to buy a guitar with dot inlays as I think they look plain! I prefer something with a difference! Only my first guitar has dots and I never use it anymore! It just lies ther gathering dust! Haha!

Tags
dot inlay , dot inlays , electric guitar , truss rod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode