How do you compare the following? - UV777BK and RG1077XL - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2001, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

How do you compare the following? - UV777BK and RG1077XL

I would like to buy a new 7 string in the near future, and before I could try it, I would like to hear some of your opinions concerning tone, playability and quality of construction. I was going for the UV777BK, but I haven't had a chance to try this new model, the RG1077XL, and it sounds interesting. Can you please help me out on this one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2001, 11:55 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
How do you compare the following?

quality is about the same. the big differences is the XL is long scale with different pickups. Either one is a fine ride, although I like the UV pickups better personally and am not 100% sold on the long-scale 7s since i don't tune down... glen
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2001, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

I'm not planning to use the 7 tuned down. I forgot to say I'm going for a progressive sound and warm definite leads, and I don't know how the Blazes stand against the Dimarzio 7s in the RG to get that kind of sound. More opinions, anyone?
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2001, 03:04 PM

I've owned both a Universe (UV7BK) and a RG1077XL. Actually I sold the Universe to help facilitate the purchase of the XL.

I prefer the feel of the 1077XL- the longer scale is sweet, and the guitar is a definite player. Note: I have the 1077XL tuned down one full step. I had it set-up like that for me before I even laid a hand on it, so I'm not sure how it plays tuned standard.

I'm not as opposed to the New 7 pickups as most and can actually get some nice tones from them, but that said I am planning on loading the XL with a Blaze Custom/Blaze/Blaze combo ASAP.

I'm don't find myself missing my Universe at all - for standard tuning stuff I rely on my RG7CT, which I would take over either of previously mentioned 7s anyway.

I prefer the 1077XL to the UV, but I'm not sure what I would pick if it was a question of which would be my sole seven. Sorry, I'm sure that wasn't much help to you at all.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2001, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Every opinion helps . I'm glad that someone is sharing their experience, and I'm looking forward to hear more from 7 string players who've played both models.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2001, 09:41 PM
lwi

I sincerely doubt you could use the 1077xl with normal tuning without breaking strings constantly or having fingertip-slicing tension...
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2001, 01:10 AM

You could custom guage the strings, about 50, or 46. You'd be dealing witha 7 or 8 on the high E then, though, so if you're a heavy trem user, beware.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2001, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

That was one point I didn't have clear, how would playing be with the longer scale. And yes, I use the tremolo a lot. And since I have to play a lot of lead, 7 and 8s aren't that much reliable concerning the use of the tremolo and bending strings a lot. As far as playability I'm now enlightened. And how about the sound? Does the Blaze have somewhat high output, definition of sound and warmth? Because if the answer is yes I'll start to lean towards the UV777BK, although I could pass the Vai-isms ( even if 99% of the people who see me play don't have the slightest clue of who he is nor that the guitar is one of his signature models. Again, thanks for all the replies.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 10:15 AM

The pickups in the UV are pretty high output but I find them to have great definition and warmth. *They also feed back beautifully and yet remain controlled, if that makes any sense. *I have never owned a more expressive guitar and I attribute that completely to the pickups and how they interact within the context of the body of this guitar, a perfect match. *But yet again, as in your other thread, this is completely subjective. *There are plenty of UV owners out there that rip out the pickups and throw in Evolutions/PAFs/Tone Zones and other cool stuff. *To each his/her own, variety is the spice of life. *If you pluck down the coin for a UV and don't really like the pickups that much, there are plenty of great options available to customize it to your preferences and style. *You simply can't lose.

The longer scale length of the XL is going to affect string tension unless you detune it. *That is why a JEM will never feel like a Les Paul, JEMs have longer scale lengths (not that Les Pauls are better, just shorter).
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

That description of the pickups was very good and really enlightened me. If you have a longer scale neck, will the strings vibrate less with the same tuning? Will it be more difficult to do bends and that kind of things?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 09:55 AM

It is difference in "feel" more than anything. *Don't worry about that aspect of it, the UV plays beautifully, it sounds great, is well made, looks unbelievable in person and doesn't cost an absolute fortune...all that adds up to a great bargain in my book. *As far as feel goes, you can get used to anything. *The UV will "loosen up" over time as the trem springs get broken in and will begin to feel like a shorter scale length guitar. *I have no trouble with bends at all and my UV is pretty much new.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

So a XL neck is inicially more difficult to play, right (without considering the bigger stretches)?

Tags
les paul , les pauls , scale lengths , string tension , tone zone , trem springs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode