How do you get different tones out of your Jem? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2002, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

How do you get different tones out of your Jem?

Howdy! I am interested in how people get certain tones out of their Jems. I know that amp effects and settings play a huge role, but just for some general tones, how do you set the controls on your guitar? What pickups do you use? Please post the type of tone, name of the guitar, and how you achieve that tone. Admittedly I do not own a Jem but I am in the market for one. It interests me to see what these guitars are capable of. I am speaking from limited knowledge here but I will try to start things off. Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong. I plan to try to use some of the methods posted when I go to check out the Jems at my local guitar shop. Alright, here goes(this is from hearsay):

Jazz Tone | Jem 7vwh | Pick up position 4(?) in between the bridge humbucker and the single coil, tone turned down to 3.

Please continue!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2002, 04:53 PM

Reviews: 1
Pink Floyd solo (comft. numb): jem90ham, neck PU, tone full, lots of mid on amp.

Kind of acoustic sound: Jem with Evo single coil (pos. 3), treble up.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2002, 11:17 PM

You can duct tape a cotton t-shirt to the back and get a lot of extra tone out of that.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 01:44 PM

I play a lot of different styles and the Jem works for me in all of them. I very rarely change my on-guitar volume or tone controls but vary p/u selections all the time. I don't fool with my amp EQ's much either when I find I well-rounded setting I like. My main amp is 3 channels so I they are set (EQ) somewhat differently from each other, accordingly.

A fun thing to do is to change the tone by technique and approach. What I mean is, play straight through the amp with no effects or EQ's and don't change your settings much. Perhaps, for kicks, set your amp's EQ controls all on ten -leaving the signal virtually unfiltered. You'd be surprized how much your tone changes just by where you pick, how you hold down the strings, how you hold the pick, etc. It sounds elementary but how often does anyone focus on this? Most of us, including myself, usually arrive at this undersanding that the guitar has a basic sound and switches to alter it and picking, strumming, palm muting, etc will give us a few more sounds to work with. It's just amazing when you just spend time just playing your guitar in a different way and altering things in your approach and technique how much the tone can vary significantly from there. It's a great way to really KNOW your guitar(s) and it's quite fun plus you'll have a better eye on your playing this way. But, in conclusion, this is a great and true way to learn what the guitar can do.

Mike 777 Haug
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 04:04 PM

My signature 'sweet chunk' tone:

Jem7DBK with Dimarzio Steve's Special PUP in the bridge position. Tone and volume all the way open - bridge pickup.

Amp settings: T=6-8 M=2-4 B=5-7 Gain=5-7
Effects: A slight smattering of compression, a light touch of delay, and a good dash of chorus.

This gives me the perfect environment to burn singing solo runs or to chunk bone crushing rythms. I rarely deviate from these settings except for clean tones or when I want something a bit bluesier. For a solo tone I up the delay slightly, dump a bit more middle in and up the compression a bit for a smoother and sustaining tone.

Sweet and chunk-o-licious at the same time! You can't beat that with a stick.

LJ
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 02:35 AM

I ALWAYS have the tone pot at just about halfway no matter what pickup I'm using, The only pickup selection I never use is the single coil on it's own, Not that it's a bad sound, Just that it doesn't fit with what I play!

I do play with the volume pot A LOT though... as a result it's always coming loose.... The other problem is that I instinctively know where it is on a Jem/RG, so when I play another make of guitar I go for the volume and its not there!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 06:24 AM

patrick, that's way cool man! i do the same thing as you except i use the jem 7vwh all stock and i used to have the 7dbk all stock (breeds)....the 7dbk was SICK when it came to metal...meaning, it was insane. i use the LINE6 POD PRO RACK UNIT and my MESA BOOGIE 5050 ALL TUBE AMP.

like you said, bone-crushing rhythms. do you have a demo or something, i would love to hear your tunes / tone.

as far as tone for blues.....screw it.....IT WILL USE THE SAME TONE AS METAL SETTINGS!!!!!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredmaster
like you said, bone-crushing rhythms. do you have a demo or something, i would love to hear your tunes / tone.
I wish. No, since I don't have any way of actually recording my tunes so they sound right. I have no idea how those that are able to get a decent sound on tape do that magic but I have never been able to get it right. I'm just a simple chunk head, I'm no sound engineer.

Too bad you don't live in germany! I'd love to get your setup over here and have a chunk fight! I can see my house in rubble now ... LOL

LJ
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 12:14 PM

chunk fight!!!!! hehehe sounds pretty brutal. here is the #1 key in recording..... usually you can't get your killer tone to tape with how it sounds live. an engineer i once worked with awhile ago had my head way out of wack after i set it up mint!!!!!! i was really upset. but you have to tweak it to hell and back to get it right on tape. it's weird. what you hear live is never what gets to tape. it takes time but when you FINALLY get it, it's right. i have spent half a day on an entire drum set getting it just right. i hate it but love it.

CHUNK FIGHT!

Tags
amp settings , bridge hum , bridge humbucker , bridge pickup , bridge position , clean tone , dimarzio steve , guitar shop , local guitar shop , mesa boogie , palm muting , pickup selection , pink floyd , pod pro , tube amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode