How hard are Jem 77FP or Jem 77 15th to find? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

2Likes
  • 2 Post By Rich

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

How hard are Jem 77FP or Jem 77 15th to find?

How hard is it to find a Jem 77FP or the Jem 77FP 15th for sale in close to Mint condition?

Like how often do these usually pop up typically? Once every month, every 3 months, twice a year, once a year, longer?

What is the going price on these, no damage, straight neck, perfect finish, no chips, dings or scratches on the finish?

(I don't care about fret life left, as I'd probably have it refretted with SS frets anyway.)
(Also if it needed the tuners or tremelo system, or pickups replaced I'd be ok with that too)

Do these usually see for $3,000-$3,500? What should I expect to pay?

Are there any differences between the original FP77 that came out in 1988 and the 15th anniversary Jem FP77s?

I'm not ready to pull the trigger on one right this moment unless the buyer is willing to do a layaway plan, I'm just researching it.

I may be getting a new credit card or taking out a personal loan though in the next couple months, so I am just trying to be prepared with knowing what to expect, what to look for, and just get a general idea of what the average time of one of these guitars becoming available usually is.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Re: How hard are Jem 77FP or Jem 77 15th to find?

JEM77FPs pop up all the time, but the good ones are starting to find their permanent homes now, so the ones that do come up seem to me to mainly be more “players’” guitars than case queens.
Cost on these always depends on condition, with the best condition ones commanding the highest prices. Different patterns (there are three body patterns) haven’t noticeably affected price from what I’ve seen, but others may know different than my mere passing observation.
Don’t get in to debt to get one of these though, there’re enough out there to bide your time and get one when you can afford one.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 11:24 AM

Mv 88' FP is a player. Bought it back in 2005 for $900. My intention was to play it live as my main guitar but it has been in the case more than on stage. Some due to worrying about loss. I have always hated the volume knob location. When I play it live, my hand hits the knob and gradually lowers the volume. That is about to change. I am getting a new pick guard, mounting hw, stuffing the Tone inside the guts, moving the Vol to Tone position. After all is done, it is going to get played. I don't want to own a museum. Life is too short to not enjoy your toys.

From what I have seen, they all go for $1K and more now. Today I could probably get $1200 for mine if I had to. It is my daughter's fav guitar. One day it will hang in her house as a decoration and memorial to me.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 01:25 AM Thread Starter

I've got 13 guitars at the moment, I mostly only record with them at home, so out of those 13, only ONE will ever leave my home, and that's my carbon fiber RainSong acoustic guitar, I only take it outside because it's what I get paid to play. My other 12 guitars are all electrics and I keep them in humidity controlled sealed display cases made by Grundorf with clear fronts so I can see them, while kept at constant 45% RH thanks to Humidipaks. I don't like "relic" guitars and am a perfectionist about keeping my guitars mint. It pains me to even have to buy a used guitar because I bought all of my guitars new. But, I used to own a new Jem 77FP back in 1990 and I sold it 2001 and have always missed that guitar. I bought it mostly because of looks, I love the colors of the Floral design. It was never my favorite guitar to play, I mean it was OK, but I've always owned a lot of guitars at any given time.

I want to own another mostly for sentimental value. So that's why the finish being perfect is the most important part to me. I've already got a new 7VWH, which is basically the same guitar. I just want the 77FP because of it's looks and sentimental value. I looked at completed auction for the last 4 months on Ebay and seems like they go for around $3,000.

I would probably be willing to pay as much as $4,000 if that's what it takes to get a "case queen".

Since they are a little more common than thought, I may delay it until later in the Winter to avoid getting a personal loan or new credit card.

When I get it, I will play it as often as a guy with 14 guitars can play one, maybe a few minutes per day, or 4 good sessions in my music room per month.
It just really bothers me that I sold the one I had, I paid about $1600 for it when it was new I think and lost it in a pawn shop for only $400.
So I am quite obsessed with eventually getting another one, I mean really obsessed, as in it bothers my mind on at least a weekly basis. Makes me feel like a piece of me is missing.
Even though I never played it as much as my Les Pauls, Strats or Warlocks at the time, I still miss it and want it back.

I have a $4,000 credit card with Guitar Center and I thought about buying a FP2 from them if they have one, but then thought no, the FP2 is kinda cool looking in it's own way, but the original Floral Pattern was just BEAUTIFUL.

Perhaps if someone has a FP77 "case queen", we could work out a trade, meaning I'm willing to purchase anything you want from guitar center up to $4,000 in trade for it. (As long as it's something on a 36 month or 48 month promo plan, so I don't get stuck with any interest from them.)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 01:32 AM

Lol, i love your username. Hope ya find one!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 01:37 AM Thread Starter

Thanks! the username was just the first thing that came to my mind.

I really prefer to get the 15th reissue of the fp77 because it will be a little newer, probably easier to find one of those minty.

I must have been under a rock in 2003 when they were reissued, because I never knew they did a reissue of them until yesterday.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 01:51 AM
Vendor

All the last believable mint 15TH's have been hot. They've been high for several years. One was $3850 last year on open bid. 15TH's are different guitars, Edge Pro to the Edge or Lo Pro of the earlier guitars. Early guitars in incredible condition and right packages [case, paperwork, etc] are also very sought after, because there really aren't that many of them. Most of them bear at minimum several battle scars. But, you don't pay prime money for any of these guitars if you're going to throw stainless frets in it, unless you don't care about immediately losing half it's value the second you do. Your best option are the guitars with liveable scars running $1-2000 cheaper.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 02:02 AM Thread Starter

I understand. But maybe it losing resale value would be good for me, I'd be less tempted to sell it again.

Yeah I feel like I'm going to have to pay about $4,000 to get one that looks new. Unless I just catch someone quick that needs cash fast.

I wish Ibanez would just reissue these again... but I heard the reason they don't is because they can't due to them running out of the "lifetime" supply of fabric they bought years ago.

I could probably quench my "sentimental" thirst just as easy by buying the BFP Premium...
I actually think it's prettier than the original 77FP and prefer it's Maple board.

But...

I've just read so much in this forum that the Premiums are JUNK.

Granted, I probably sound like I am contradicting myself here, because in my earlier post I admitted, I mainly want the Floral for sentimental reasons due to having an original one when I was young, and also due to the aesthetics of the Floral pattern... however, I need it to also be Japan kind of quality.

I mean if I bought a new BFP, and had the tremelo replaced and had the fretwork redone and did everything possible to upgrade it and all, wouldn't it still be a peice of Indonesian Junk? I mean it's still going to be the same woods that Indonesia selected.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 02:19 AM
Vendor

In which case, I'd be looking for a 1990, that fully replaces your dream, and was a pivotal year as the last year with edge but first with the moved volume knob making it a far better playing guitar.
jono and jim777 like this.

Tags
jem77fp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode