How is the JS24? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-26-2011, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 5
How is the JS24?

I have an EBMM JP6, which has 24 frets. Nice guitar, but the frets aren't really working out for me. the piezo is nice, and I do like the floating trem with locking tuners and don't want to deal with an FR. BUT, the JS has been yanking my chain for the last 20 years.

My first guitar was a Radius series which I miss dearly.

I might as well get a JS1200 instead, but how curiously, how would a JS24 compare with an EBMM?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 05:18 AM

Re: How is the JS24?

To be honest and in my humble opinion ( and I will be flamed for this )...

The quality feel of the EBMM is nowhere to be found on the JS2400. Don't get me wrong, the JS2400 is a great guitar, but the EBMM is just so much better. Acoustically, the JS sounds very tinny to me. Amplified this is still somewhat audible ( maybe the very small sustain block plays a part in this? ). The fit and finish feels very similar to any other JS prestige.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 02:34 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL-CeeDee View Post
The quality feel of the EBMM is nowhere to be found on the JS2400. Don't get me wrong, the JS2400 is a great guitar, but the EBMM is just so much better. .
Please give me further evidence of this superiority, because besides the wax/oil neck finish [which is very nice], there is nothing EBMM that can hold a JS's jock strrap.
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 02:58 PM

Reviews: 1

Another bolt on neck guitar to consider with 24 frets is the PRS CE-24. There are still NOS ones out there (they are discontinued). It owns over the JS and the EBMM in every way...although some don't like the more buttery sounding 25" neck scale and the mahogany body. They can be had for under 1500 as well.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Please give me further evidence of this superiority, because besides the wax/oil neck finish [which is very nice], there is nothing EBMM that can hold a JS's jock strrap.
Flamed as predicted
The new trems are dirt cheap... Compared to a good Lo-pro edge or edge in the old days. And this has a profound effect on both sound and feel. Once again, it's the same as any other prestige. Whereas I feel that "prestige" isn't what it used to be anymore.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 05:30 PM
Vendor

So since the 2400 has the original Edge, you have zero argument, correct?

If Prestige isn't what it used to be, EBMM is currently a shadow of the decent guitars they used to be..........
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by btweensunandmoon View Post
Another bolt on neck guitar to consider with 24 frets is the PRS CE-24. There are still NOS ones out there (they are discontinued). It owns over the JS and the EBMM in every way...although some don't like the more buttery sounding 25" neck scale and the mahogany body. They can be had for under 1500 as well.
That's pretty funny... I only kept mine maybe 3 weeks. Stabilizing the neck pocket on that piece of crap was a pain in the butt. I would never recommend one to anyone...
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:

If Prestige isn't what it used to be, EBMM is currently a shadow of the decent guitars they used to be..........
Incorrect. the current edges ARE different than the old ones.. You of all should know best.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 05:59 PM
Contributor

Fight! FIGHT! (all the school yard boys crowd around)
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 06:07 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Incorrect. the current edges ARE different than the old ones.. You of all should know best.
Please explain the differences. Evidently you're the new expert.
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 06:08 PM

I have both a JP6 and a JS (JS1600) and I love both but for different reasons. That being said, what don't you like about the frets? Because that's probably the only thing similar about the two guitars. If you like the JP6 features but just not the frets have you though about a JPX? I think it has bigger frets (along with the JPXI) although the neck is painted instead of waxed.
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 08:16 PM

Reviews: 6

Quote:
Flamed as predicted
The new trems are dirt cheap... Compared to a good Lo-pro edge or edge in the old days. And this has a profound effect on both sound and feel. Once again, it's the same as any other prestige. Whereas I feel that "prestige" isn't what it used to be anymore.
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Please explain the differences. Evidently you're the new expert.
didn't you know the 'licensed/patents' stamp on the old ones was a tone-stamp????
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 02:46 AM
Vendor

Obviously LCD has no clue that they started putting the Edge on all JS and JEM's starting in 2010........
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 03:56 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 5

Quote:

Ok guys, chill please. Let's not turn this into a fight.

I'm interested in the CURRENT range of the JSs primarily because of the Edge trems.

But curiously, why do you say that EBMM guitars are currently a shadow of the guitars they used to be? Other than the Silos having the plain maple necks, the signature range has always been top notch, and nothing has changed about their processes. So where's the decline in quality?

My 4 year old JP6 and 1 yr old JPX7 are some of the best guitars I own and have played. The only thing giving me severe gas on a 7 string is the current JCustom 7 string, but that pricing is crazy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEmuOfDoom View Post
I have both a JP6 and a JS (JS1600) and I love both but for different reasons. That being said, what don't you like about the frets? Because that's probably the only thing similar about the two guitars. If you like the JP6 features but just not the frets have you though about a JPX? I think it has bigger frets (along with the JPXI) although the neck is painted instead of waxed.
I do have a JPX. 7 string, that is. I like those frets fine. Maybe I should be more circumspect. The JP6's frets bug me because of the thin neck. The JS has a thicker neck, so perhaps those frets might not bug me too much. The painted neck on the JPX7 is fine. Ridiculously smooth. (I have dry hands) I like taller frets. Not necessarily wider. The J customs have great feeling frets, but if I switch the frets on the JP6, then I need to raise the nut, which is not a good idea, as our handiwork in my region on lacquered stuff isn't too hot.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode