How To Make a Lion's Claw Cavity - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 03:16 AM Thread Starter

How To Make a Lion's Claw Cavity

Hi, i know there is a lot of expensive machines wich can do that. I suppose that Ibanez, Mr Herc Fede, Sims Custom get automatic one with programms and so one... But ?

Is there any people who ever realized in all the Jemsite Forum a " true lion's claw cavity" in his RG guitar by his own hands with very common gifts that everyone can find in his garage ? i mean, it's very easy to re-create the true monkey grip with the good plan but what about the lion's claw ?

We agree, If there is someone who realized it perfectly and whithout "robot-machine", can he show and explain it ?

thanks for your answers.

manta.

ps : just a little illustartion i found on the website, thanks to the author i forgot the name.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 09:01 AM

Re: How To Make a Lion's Claw Cavity

Here's a tutorial that I assume many people have seen and/or used: Project Guitar Tutorial

On a side note, I still don't really understand why someone would do this. The guitar isn't a Jem, why try to make it look like something it's not? It's not as though it provides any functional benefit whatsoever. Ditto for the monkey grip, though I'm among the minority that wishes even REAL Jems didn't have those.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 09:17 AM

Reviews: 34

I have done it using the projectguitar.com tutorial. The only thing I did different was to glue in a whole block to fill the cavity so it was like carving it from new.

Actually it isn't that hard. I glued some pywood offcuts together first to practice, and then went for it on the body I had. The most important thing is to use a guide to get the lines as straight as you can. Other than that, lots of careful measuring and marking and take your time.

djohns74, the reason I did it and like it is because it is cool.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 11:56 AM

I don't think there is anything wrong with making it look like a jem even though it's not...it's a personal preferance of a look. How many women die their hair blond? And vice versa? How many have bought a guitar shaped like a LP even though it's something else cheaper...it's just a persaonal preferance. I think it adds more lines to the guitar.

I too have tried the Project Guitar tutorial and did not find it to be all that easy. Maybe I was using the wrong type of router or something, but I just didn't feel the end result was going to be as perfect as something done with a CNC. I tried making a jig of sorts, but then got frustrated and just routed the whole damn thing out...waiting to be filled with another block of wood to correct what I screwed up.

Grab some block of wood and experiment...make jigs...once you get it, throw your guitar under it. The right tools make all the difference!

If anyone does have a nice jig design or something - I too would love to see it!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 04:57 PM

When I make my guitars I make lion claw with a little dremel tools!!!!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 06:17 PM

I used a plunge router freehand.I call it the bearclaw.It was a little off.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 09:11 PM

Oooh, cool. I've always wanted to know how to do that.

Now, to get a guitar with a trem cavity!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohns74 View Post
Here's a tutorial that I assume many people have seen and/or used: Project Guitar Tutorial

On a side note, I still don't really understand why someone would do this. The guitar isn't a Jem, why try to make it look like something it's not? It's not as though it provides any functional benefit whatsoever. Ditto for the monkey grip, though I'm among the minority that wishes even REAL Jems didn't have those.
you " don't understand" why some people (like me) would like to realise/make a monkey grip and a lion's claw ?
just because they are jem fans, steve vai fans, etc... but they, i mean "we" don't have the money to buy an original one...

thank you for the link, i already knew it. i would like people talking about experiences.

manta.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin5555 View Post
When I make my guitars I make lion claw with a little dremel tools!!!!
oh, and did you get good results with it ? do you have a picx ?

manta
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 04:29 AM Thread Starter

does anyone can post me the link on "projectguitar website for the monkey grip tutorial please, thanks... i'm bored cause i can't find it arrrrrrgh.

manta
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 05:55 AM

2nd Post........
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 02:13 AM

Reviews: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohns74 View Post

Banned. LOL.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 02:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurac View Post
2nd Post........
no Kurac, the 2nd one is about the Lion not the "Monkey"... nad i'm searching for the monkey thanks if you know where it is !
manta
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 02:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurac View Post
2nd Post........
That's ok, i found it. http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/handle.htm

manta.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 02:51 AM

Ah.. sorry for that.

grüße
Andreas (:

Tags
ibanez , jem , lion's claw , rg guitar , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode