How much to ask for a JS6? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

How much to ask for a JS6?

Hopefully this type of post isn't against the forum rules.

I'm thinking of selling my JS6, but don't have a clue how much to charge. I'm real bad at selling things, I usually just end up giving my stuff away. But, I'd like to replace it with something else, so the cash would come in handy. All I know is it's one of ~350 made, and it was MIJ in '92 & '93, so is probably worth more than some. I helped a guy from this forum buy one from a local dealer that wasn't in as good a shape as mine and he paid $1300 or $1400 about 6 months ago.

Anyway, it can be seen here.

The tuners are satin Sperzel locking, I don't have the originals. I have the string tree and screws, just don't like it (The screw holes aren't stripped). There are a few small wood dents, about 1/8", along the edge of the guitar, not on the face or back. Frets are warn, but not overly so.

All in all, I'd say it's in really good shape.

Any ideas on asking price, or is there a blue book on these things?

Thanks, -cp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 12:56 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Re: How much to ask for a JS6?

Blue book means nothing in the open marketplace these days. Your best bet is to search a certain onine auction site for completed items and go from there
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 07:26 AM

They've been all over the place recently. One went for about $850 in an auction (usual site) around 3-4 months ago. Another (in great shape) sold in the Guitar Center used listings for $700 something with case about 2 months ago. But another one sold in an auction for $1100 or so (Dean -- do you remember?). So it's a wild card -- if there's a motivated buyer out there, you get the premium.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 09:50 AM

You're right Bert - but it was actually a JS6000 that went for like $850 in that auction. Right after that a guy did a Buy It Now for $1250 I think for one - and it expired a few times before he finally moved it. Being that I offered $800 on it once and got no reply, I'd say that he got $1000 or more, but that's a guess.

Frantick - I was the one that you helped out. I paid $1350 with case and shipping I think. Case is an old prestige case, kinda beat - I wound up buying a new prestige case for it. Back when I bought - last fall - there were a few that had gone on the auction site for well over $1200. One was over $1400. The week I decided to buy, one was on auction and jumped up over $1200, and wound up closer to $1500 when it ended, so I felt like I'd done ok. I was "motivated" as it were, and sorta had money from another sell burning a hole in my pocket. Admittedly my purchase was somewhat too emotional probably. They had been asking $1500 though, and I talked them down a bit and felt I did ok on it.

The one at the GC went for $750. I sorta wonder if they knew what they had. You see them pricing JS100's for $450 or $500 sometimes, then only $750 for a JS6?? That's just asinine.

Last edited by lerxst6; 06-16-2010 at 10:06 AM. Reason: clarification
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 04:52 PM

I also forgot about the one that was listed in February from right here in Bozeman -- I actually got to fondle that one. The owner had a reserve of $1500 on it. Bids got close but didn't hit the reserve. He negotiated a deal with someone in Europe, but I wasn't clear on the final price. That one was in exceptional condition.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I'm thinking $1100 to $1300 approximately since it's played and doesn't have the original tuners. (Although a new set is only about $55 bucks.)

Thanks for all of your responses.

-cp
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 03:25 AM

def. $1100
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 03:22 AM

Reviews: 3

I got mine for $350 but that's another story.

Tags
js6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode