How much does heat affect your trem? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 06:31 AM Thread Starter

How much does heat affect your trem?

I have a JS100 1996 and everything was fine with the guitar, until a few days ago when the weather turned hot (Must point out i live in the very north of Scotland), Since then my trem has become really unstable, I cant even bend a string without it going out of tune and dont get me started on actualy using the bar for anything.

Has anyone else noticed this happening?, My other guitars have never had this problem (Charvel Model 3 with a khaler flyer trem and a Samick with a cheap floyd copy).

Cheers

Duffer

Ps; Should i change the trem for an edge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 05:19 PM

Reviews: 37
Re: How much does heat affect your trem?

heat doesnt effect the trem. just your neck warpage and maybe even the wood swelled enough to let your trem stud anchors loose. how hot did it get in your house ?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 05:13 AM Thread Starter

Outside was in the low 20's, which is very hot for up here , Heating is off in my house.
The room my guitars are kept in is quite small 10ft by 10ft, but again heating is never on and usally its a cool room.

Cheers for the reply

Duffer
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 11:59 AM

Reviews: 21

Ha! 20 Celcius. You're going to turn the Americans here off to Scottland, youoldduffer. At first glance I was all "20 Deg F?!? I'm never going there!"
Seriously, the heat and humidity will affect your guitars, especially the wood. I live in South Florida and we get quite a nasty change in humidity from winter to summer. I usually find myself doing lots of setup adjustments in April.
I played a JS100 for many years and had a similar issue. Give it a good adjustment and I think you'll be fine.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Lol yer the blue folk on the beach are usally scottish lol. I live on the very top of Scotland (John o Groats) so the weather can be fun.

Well last night the trem was working fine, today not so good I dived the bar and yup it went well out of tune.

I've checked the knife edges and there fine, posts solid and checked the locking nut again fine. Nothing loose on the trem either, could be its just a cheap trem shame as i like the guitar (enough that i put a fred and a pro in it).

So I re-tuned, Out with the scale rule check trem was level, made small adjustment and re-tuned. Played for abit and fine until i did a little vibrato with the bar and its not returning to pitch.

Tempted to get another trem just not sure which? Suggestions will be gratefully recieved .

Last edited by youoldduffer; 07-28-2010 at 07:39 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 01:32 AM

just keep it in box
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 09:27 AM

Check the neck and locking nut mounting bolts/screws, and add a drop of lubricant to the pivots.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Sorry I've taken so long to reply (work commitments ).

I've had the trem off cleaned the knife edges & post's apply some vasaline(as I heard this was good) checked all the nuts, bolts and screws but still same intermitent problem, one it will play great, next day cant bend a string without it going out of tune.

Its driving me fekin crazy so I've decided to change the trem, So chappie's and chappette's what i need now is sugestions on a new trem please. No sugestions of sell it and get a real JS please, I'm asking for help here not snobbery

Cheers duffer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode