how much should I sell my Bad horsie for ? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

how much should I sell my Bad horsie for ?

I'm trying to sell my bad horsie guitar - I bought it new roughly a year ago. Its in like new condition with the slightess nick under the headstock. Does anyone have any idea what I should be selling this for ?

Also was there only a certain number of these made?

Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 06:51 PM

Reviews: 19
Re: how much should I sell my Bad horsie for ?

I have to say..
Sell it cheap - to me!
lol!!!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 10:21 PM

Reviews: 7

well ,its all about the condition, mint can go from 1850$ to a 2200 max.
clean condition like you'r 1650-1800.
i've just sold one of my 77brmr for 1750$ and im keeping my mint one.
i hope that info will help you.
brgd.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 12:23 AM
Banned

depends what part of the world your from.here in the uk a nice condition bad horsie will fetch between £1000-£1200.thats roughly $2000
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 01:15 AM

Wait two more years, by then Jems will be selling for $3500+ and you will be able to get more for it.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
Wait two more years, by then Jems will be selling for $3500+ and you will be able to get more for it.
why do you say that? Are jems being discontinued or something? I havent been to this site in a long time...
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klp2332 View Post
why do you say that? Are jems being discontinued or something? I havent been to this site in a long time...
I'm just saying that because two years ago they sold new for $1800 so I figure with the current trend thay will be like $3500 in two more. I mean that's only a 20% increase per year...
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 01:00 AM

Reviews: 7

i don't think that ,the bad horsie will go that much high in the next two years.(well i hope it will, i got one mint).
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 11:08 AM

Just a personal opinion, but I think $2,000 is a fair and reasonable price. That being said, the Bad Horsie guitar still seems to be either loved or hated. I had mine on a local craigslist at one point for around $2,250 figuring either somebody would really want it or I'd keep it, and I just got blasted with multiple e-mails calling me crazy, telling me they could go get a brand new Jem for $1,250 at Guitar Center, etc.

Considering the relatively limited number that were sold before the model was discontinued (I don't know if anybody has any sort of estimate on that number), you could reasonably figure that resale value would remain relatively high, assuming there is demand. It could still take a while longer... the black Jem with white pyramids wasn't a very high seller at the time, and now fetches a relatively high price, but that didn't happen overnight.

I remember that the guitar was blasted initially for having a basic fretboard inlay and a big price tag, but the reviews from owners were favorable regarding playability and tone, so you could still expect to get some of the investment back. Considering how much all the major guitar manufacturers have raised their prices lately, if you base your asking price for re-selling on a pro-rated percentage of a brand new comparable instrument, your asking price could increase over time. I don't remember what the street price is on Jems off the top of my head, but they haven't gone down in price the last few years.

I don't play mine as much as I used to, and would happily sell it for the right money, but the resale market favors the buyer in the current economy, so I don't really feel like it would be worth the effort to try to sell mine at this point, I figure I'll just wait until somebody comes asking for it, or the overall feel of the economy changes and people start acting like they have some disposable income again.

This was meant to be my two cents, turns out to be more like twenty.... sorry for the rambling.

D
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 04:36 PM

Yeah dip777 that was what I think, just better written.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 12:17 AM

There was seriously beat-up one selling here in Tokyo for about the equivalent of US $2000. They sold it easily. It had cracks on the mirror everywhere, but it still looked desirable. Something like a relic'd Jem you might say! You wouldn't be afraid to play it.

I LOVE mine. Adding the vine to it makes it look even better, and if I ever resold it, I think it'd give a nice return. Seeing one in person, I think would give most guitarists serious G.A.S. It's going to be a classic JEM IMHO.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlp777 View Post
Considering the relatively limited number that were sold before the model was discontinued (I don't know if anybody has any sort of estimate on that number),
my best estimate on the total numbers is around 1500,
more difficult is the split US-ROW, could be anything from 500-1000 or 1000-500.

With this model you have to take into account

a) the shoddy workmanship on the mirror top, which led to returns and discounts.
b) boring inlays
c) lack of LEDs
d) tone (basswood+rossewood+breeds) already available on the cheaper DBK

so it got a lot of criticism when released and was quickly pulled in favour of the VBK (essentially a BRMR without a vinyl top, but with vine neck)

I personally don't mind the lack of vine, but I would've preferred a non inlayed neck, sorta like a reinvented HAM.

If you want this exact tone and feel, it's still available in the VBK, if you want the flashiness of the BRMR, but not the gaudiness of the VWH/VBK, you're stuck for now.
Until Ibanez realise there are Jem fans out there that prefer the futuristic industrial look of guitars like the BRMR, HAM, BSB over 80s retro (20anniv) or trailer park chic (VWH).

Quote:
It's going to be a classic JEM IMHO.
Seconded.

I'd say, don't sell it, if the top is flawless it's a keeper
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 09:58 PM

Smile Re: how much should I sell my Bad horsie for ?

Hi, First post. I recently bought a new (never been sold) "Bad Horsie" for a bit over $2000 at a local music store. It's just was perfect for me..sound, feel etc. Everytime I've sold a guitar in the past, there came a time when I wished I had it back!!!!! Bluedream
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedream View Post
Everytime I've sold a guitar in the past, there came a time when I wished I had it back!!!!! Bluedream
My opinion, and just opinion, is that you get over that feeling after swapping lots of guitars. I think I've got 7 or 8 at my house right now, and really just spend most of my time on one of them, the rest could be traded with no regrets. Not that I don't like them, they're just not as good as my number one, which may someday be my number two and potential trade bait.

I've had several jems and uv's come and go over the years. I remember them fondly, but I'm not going out of my way to get them back. I've held on to the Bad Horsie jem more because of the looks than anything else. That being said, if somebody wanted it enough to make a really good offer, I'd sell it with no real regrets.

As a contrast, the other guitar player in my band had his eyes on one guitar since he was 14, finally got it when he was about 25, and is still playing it with no intentions of ever getting rid of it, and he's 38... I guess I just don't get attached to them like some people do, in my quest for "the ultimate guitar for me" I'm willing to try just about anything.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 04:53 PM

Maybe for me it's not so much an attachment as it is a "remeberance of things past" when I pick up a guitar I haven't played in a while. (Or maybe I'm just getting old!!!!!)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode