How old is Evo - does age really matter? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2001, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

How old is Evo - does age really matter?

Wondering if anyone knows how old Steve's Evo is?
Also is it really the SAME gtr or does he replace it every so often with a new "Evo"?
Serial Number?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2001, 03:19 PM

How old is Evo

from what i understand, steve has been playing the same "evo" since 93 -- except for the fact that he broke the neck in a stage accident where he threw the guitar to the tech, the cord caught, and it slammed to the floor. *he auditioned many necks and replaced it with the one with the black headstock that is now on it. *but the body remains the same. *although, when ive seen him, he never played evo that much. *he played "flo" a lot, which if i recall is the one with the fernandes sustainer in it (or is that pogo? i get the names mixed up). *evo also had a chrome lo-pro the last time i saw it.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2001, 03:23 PM

How old is Evo

oh, lets run through all of vais jem 7v aliases, shall we?
evo
evo II
pox
pogo
flo
thrasher
am i forgetting any? im sure so -- help me out guys
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2001, 04:29 PM

Reviews: 5
How old is Evo

Shawn is right. As far as I know the true history, Evo is being played since '93, had some necks replaced and the body is still the same. I saw him playing it here in Brazil last November and it looked the same as in G3 tour. The only small difference, I think, it's a piece of tape over the bridge humbucker (as far as I remember, in G3 tour that tape wasn't there).

Another guitar he played a lot in Brazil was Flo. This one was different from G3 tour (when it was a custom 77FP). Now it's a 7VWH with a 555 neck and sustainer bridge pickup.

The other guitars he played that night were: Heart tripleneck, Custom Fender Strat and a dark JEM (black, maybe?) with mirror pickguard.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2001, 04:47 PM

How old is Evo

Quote:
Quote: and a dark JEM (black, maybe?) with mirror pickguard.
I should imagine that was the DBK.

Steve
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2001, 06:38 PM

Reviews: 5
How old is Evo

Quote:
Quote: from ripl3y on 5:47 pm on Feb. 5, 2001

I should imagine that was the DBK.

Steve
Yeah, probably. But I don't remember the fingerboard inlays, so I can't tell precisely what guitar that one was. And if it was the 7DBK, I think it's the first time I've ever seen him playing that model.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2001, 09:31 PM

How old is Evo

Not to nit-pick, but Evo actually has a Chrome EDGE on it, not a LoPro Edge... interesting, yes?
I have wondered why that ended up on there - looks like none of the backups are thusly equipped.
I know, if something went wrong, and the trem had to be swapped out in a hurry, with no gold LoPros on-hand to replace it with, perhaps it just 'stuck'... you know, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it..."
I'd like to hear his commentary on that, though, just for interest's sake. I'm always curious about little niggles like that one.
Sometimes, Evo seemed to be sporting a metal knob ala Jem 10th and similar, as well...
As for Flo... I'd like to see a current pic of the back of that one - Flo at least /used/ to be a Floral with MUCH work done to it, not the least of which being the neck-joint being re-cut to allow for an AANJ neck to be fitted, which would mean some wood removal from the neck pocket, and very importantly, re-carving of the heel joint to be very very similar to a standard AANJ heel.
However... it's unique in that it ALSO has the scoop of the original Jem/Universe heels... There's pics of that here on Jemsite, in the gallery. Have a look... you can see it.
=]
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2001, 09:34 PM

How old is Evo

OH, and BTW, I'd guess that Steve probably started playing Evo in '92... to road-test the prototype before it went to production, which came out for the '93 catalog year, correct? Evo, being the prototype, probably has some minor differences in it. Built in the States shop, as I recall. Regardless, I'm /sure/ that he was playing it for a pretty good while before it went to mass production.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2001, 10:53 PM

How old is Evo

Also, the original EVO neck had no serial number. I don't know if the new black head-stocked/pink inlayed neck has one or not.

EVO is also signed by Les Paul on the back. (It's worn off, so it was re-signed again the 2nd time Steve played with him).

The tape was on the neck pick-up, not the bridge. (To stop the high E from slipping under it during whammy dives or hard playing).

Definitely a chrome EDGE on the current EVO.

Last pics have shown that the chrome dome knob is still in the volume position, while an original white plastic knob is in the tone position.

The new neck is also unfinished for sure. (I grabbed the neck at the NYC show a couple Nov's ago, just to feel the thickness and how it was finished...it wasn't).

If Ibanez ever released a 'Relic' line, EVO would be a GREAT item to throw into that.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2001, 02:34 AM

How old is Evo

aaaahhhh, i didnt notice that the chrome bridge was an EDGE and not a lo-pro----------thanks for catchin that one. *i recall his comment once on liking the mass and weight distribution of the original edge, wonder if he decided to switch back?
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2001, 02:48 AM

How old is Evo

Quote:
Quote: from Andy J Dampier on 9:53 pm on Feb. 5, 2001
EVO is also signed by Les Paul on the back. (It's worn off, so it was re-signed again the 2nd time Steve played with him).
I didn't know that. *What a fanboy. It just shows how human, down-to-earth and real Vai is. *

Makes me wonder if Petrucci has Steve Morse's DNA in his guitar paint! *

[size=-2:1c2720f849]Just for you, Kevan![/size:1c2720f849]
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2001, 08:57 PM

How old is Evo

Andy,
The 'relic' idea is a good - and amusing - one. That'd be the sort of thing that I'd do myself, too; I'd put on a chrome Edge, (perhaps) swap the volume top-hat knob for a metal one, and I'd ENCOURAGE the neck pocket cracks... ahah.
Perhaps a few of us could get together and play catch with them, see whose neck gets snapped first. An ample supply of black-headstock replacements would have to be on-hand.
=]
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-27-2001, 02:43 AM

How old is Evo

Evo has no serial number but he has had it since 1993
Flo is not a 7Vwh it looks like one but is a floral print with a 7vwh neck. *
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-27-2001, 07:52 AM

How old is Evo

Quote:
Quote: from shawn on 2:23 pm on Feb. 5, 2001
oh, lets run through all of vais jem 7v aliases, shall we?
evo
evo II
pox
pogo
flo
thrasher
am i forgetting any? im sure so -- help me out guys
Actually, Lasher isn't a 7vwh. *It's an RG used only for smashing like Attitude II. *Flo has a 555 neck and is a 77FP, Pox also has a 555 neck, Bad Horsie is also a custom vwh with an ash body, as is Bad Horsie II.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-27-2001, 02:42 PM

How old is Evo

Flo also has a curved fret modification on 1st and second frets, but the neck is based on a 555.

Gabe

Tags
aanj neck , black headstock , bridge hum , bridge humbucker , bridge pickup , fender strat , fernandes sustainer , les paul , neck pocket crack , neck pocket cracks , pro edge , steve morse

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode