How to recognize original JEM Pickups - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 03:35 AM Thread Starter

How to recognize original JEM Pickups

Hi all,

maybe a stupid question but how can you make sure you have the right, original PUs in your JEM ?

I do ask you since I am offered a 777sk but looking at the PUs I have my doubts. First of all they don't feature that sort of bleach we all know ( although I must say the body hasn't faded much, too). Second, if you look at the original photos from Ibanez you see that the early ones feature three tiny holes on the humbucker pairs on bridge and neck (hole positions mirrored), while on that guitar there are only two holes per PU.

Confusing enough you can see a lot of 777sk with that same 2 hole setup on Jemsite and for sure they are no fakes.

So can anyone shed a light on what the storyline is here?

Thx
Dh88
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 07:40 AM

Re: How to recognize original JEM Pickups

It depends on when it was made. The change in the pickup covers happened at some point in 1988. I've had two '88 SK's and one had the pickups with three holes and one had pickups with two holes. All '87 guitars should have three holes and all '89 guitars should have two holes.

Aside from that, the plastic should be very opaque and should probably have a soft pink color. Newer pink pickups are slightly translucent and are much redder.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 10:28 AM
NSR

The two-hole pickups that you describe do indeed appear to have been introduced in '88, as they're on my '88 VDY and every other VDY I've seen. They also appear to have an orange hue rather than the deep or faded pink that are usually seen on models with the three-holes. They're sometimes on SK's and VSK's although personally I've seen more '89 models of the SK's and VSK's with the three-hole variants.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Interesting to say the least...point being that given the serial number of the 777 I got offered it is presumably built in '87 and it features the two-hole type. Now the screws holding the humbuckers are not black so it would be fair to assume the original humbuckers were replaced. Nevertheless they seem to be correct types....confused...Any other idea how to confirm those PU being genuine?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 04:17 PM

Early '87 are non f-spaced.
Original pups does have golden baseplates.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

thanks for hinting the golden baseplates...definitely a good one...

Tags
777 , jem , jem 777 sk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode