How sacreligious is this? - Changing the look/feel of my RB - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-10-2002, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

How sacreligious is this? - Changing the look/feel of my RB

Hey, everybody...

I've got an RB that I picked up on e-bay a while ago. It sounds great, and the body is in great condition, but unfortunately, it didn't come with the RB neck on it (I think it's a neck from an RG570 or so). So here's the guitar as it is today:

Since my chances of finding a RB neck are pretty slim, I've decided to expand my options to consider other old-style necks that Ibanez produces. My main goal is to find something thicker, and if it has cool inlays then that's a plus. So I spent some time in photoshop yesterday doing some mockups:

RB with VBK neck, green pickups & knobs:

RB with PBK neck, white pickups & knobs: (okay, I know my chances are slim to none of finding a PBK neck, but it looks cool)

RB with USA Custom neck, white pickups & knobs:

I also tried some of the older Jem necks with maple fretboards, but didn't like the way they looked on the RB. I guess I could also consider a VDY or VSK neck with either yellow or pink pickups & knobs.

When all was said and done (here's the sacreligious part), I really liked the look of the USA custom neck the best. It reinforces that "Totally 80's" look. Plus, it seems to be easier to find USA customs floating around than old Jems (and they're generally less expensive, too).

Any comments/thoughts/ideas?

--B

PS--Of course, if anybody has a spare Jem neck sitting around collecting dust, you could help make this process significantly easier! *

(Edited by bduersch at 11:21 am on Feb. 10, 2002)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-10-2002, 11:53 AM

How sacreligious is this?

i like the usa custom neck. how about balck pu's/knobs and gold hardware? (i love gold hardware with wood finishes!)
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-10-2002, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Well if you're going for a thicker neck, don't forget that the PBK neck has a Wizard profile like the standard RG. I think the USA custom neck might be a Wizard profile as well..

But it LOOKS cool, so who cares what profile it has
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-10-2002, 12:09 PM

I REALLY like the green vine neck look. Maybe with black knobs or gold hardware? At any rate, the VBK looks very sweet, but, maybe I'm biased. Green and brown are my favorite colors! The USA Custom neck looks reeeeeal good, too, so, either way you go will be spectacular I'm sure!
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-10-2002, 12:33 PM

My vote is for the pyramids. :thumbsup:
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-10-2002, 12:34 PM

I thought a vwh-style vine would look really good with the natural wood, and I love pink pickups, so I thought that a vsk vine may work as well. Either way, please keep the pink pickups- I think the green vine with the pink pickups would look great!
P.S.- it's not a mistake- I tried to mess with various effects to make it look like the flash of the camera was glaring off the new frets / fretboard- as if it were an actual picture, not a mock-up. :lame:

-Ben
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-10-2002, 12:53 PM

That looks pretty cool! The pink or white vine with the pink pickups looks best, in my opinion. You could probably do it relatively inexpensively, too, by getting a 555 neck and sending it to LittleGreenMan/Jeremy for a full vine retrofit.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-10-2002, 01:28 PM

Quote:
chromeboy on 12:33 pm on Feb. 10, 2002
My vote is for the pyramids. :thumbsup:
I'm with you on that one!
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-10-2002, 01:36 PM

I'd go with the USA Custom as well...totally cool
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-10-2002, 01:43 PM

Brent, I was gonna say, if you just want a different look, I can do the inlay on your current neck, but then I re-read and saw you didn't care for that neck. *At any rate, I think the PBK neck looked the best, and I can do those pyramids for you no problem, and the vine neck looks kewl. *You won't be able to use a 555 neck without major body mods because of the AANJ. *But if you want a nicer neck, and you can find a neck that you like, and what pyramids, or vines, lets talk

Ok, business mode off LOL, I do think it looks killer with the pyramids, I don't like the sharkfins on the RB body, it's like, understated body, 80's killer neck. *I just think it looks out of place. *Just my opinion though. *The PBK neck is thin as well though, so you probably wouldn't really dig that. *At any rate, I noticed it wouldn't sell on ebay for what I thought were good prices, (if I'd had the $$$ I would have bid) *so good luck making it something you are more happy with!

Jeremy
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-10-2002, 02:09 PM

Looks cool! The monkey grip looks strange though, but I don`t know too much about JEM's
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-10-2002, 02:41 PM

From the mockups presented so far I'd go with the pink vine. Looks really cool.

Green vine - yuck
Pyramids - nice, stylish, classy.
Sharkfin - hmmm, not on a JEM.
Pink vine - sweet - I like it (and you get to keep the pink pups).
White vine - Not with pink pups.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-10-2002, 03:20 PM

Hmm nice looking guitar at the moment, but I can see why you'd want a different neck.. But out of the photoshopped ones above, I think they're all pretty ugly. If I were you, I'd send the neck off to Jeremy to get some custom inlay work done!
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-10-2002, 07:11 PM

The Pink Vine or the PBK neck, definitely
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-10-2002, 07:26 PM
rvj

I like the pink vine the best, the pyramids on the pbk neck are a close second. I've thought about buying a DBK and having pyramids put in. --rvj

Tags
abalone vine , black pickups , custom inlays , dot inlay , dot inlays , jem neck , maple fret , maple fretboard , mirrored pickguard , monkey grip , neck plate , paf pro , paf pros , pbk neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode