How versatile is the Jem? What types of music can you play? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-20-2003, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

How versatile is the Jem? What types of music can you play?

List the types of music!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-20-2003, 04:07 PM

all of them
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-20-2003, 05:08 PM

theres quite a good country tune done on a JEM in the multimedia sub forum
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2003, 06:17 AM

hmm, they're not so good for trance music, or african tribal music. However if you want to play music with guitars in, then Jems are great for just about anything.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2003, 08:21 AM

ever heard the joke about the guy going into the music store and asking to buy a rythm guitar
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2003, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghai prawn
ever heard the joke about the guy going into the music store and asking to buy a rythm guitar
nope
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2003, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weserman
hmm, they're not so good for trance music, or african tribal music. However if you want to play music with guitars in, then Jems are great for just about anything.
Actually jeff beck already did some trance on guitar *seriously Hes done techno* lol
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2003, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Quote:
nope
thats the joke
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2003, 04:49 PM

Reviews: 3
I actually gigged in a blues band & a metal "bar rock" band at the same time with a Jem 777dy.....
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2003, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
nope
thats the joke
ahh, yes
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2003, 06:33 PM

As a person who needs a guitar versatile in many styles, I find my Jem an invaluable tool. Granted, i needed to do some pickups sqwapping to get it that way, but at this point the only thing it doesn't do that well is old-school jazz. Not that it's bad, just not that good.

I can do funk, blues, and classic rock, disco whatever. My bfp never lets me down (although i think I let IT down occasionally )

~K
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-22-2003, 05:34 AM

I sometimes used to turn up to jazz performances in college with a BFP and the scowls I used to get from the lecturers was unreal (it was either 335's or Les Paul's for the committed jazzer i seem to remember ). I think it's mainly an image thing, I certainly never had any problems wigging out in a jazz kindo way on a jem.

Jems rule, end of arguement
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-22-2003, 03:04 PM

I think the Jem is a great all rounder, it's a 100% rock machine but it can be used effectively in several other situations.

I've used my 7VWH for the following gigs/projects:

Samba (with big honkin drum section)
Jazz (cigar smoke & goatees)
Country (& Western, both types...)
Funk & Rn'B(get on that middle pickup in a clean channel and a wah and I can't be stopped)
Folky singer/songwritery stuff
Blues (playing slide and using the trem at the same time turns some heads)
Some traditional Chinese music
Celtic (doubling mandolin parts)

There's not a lot you can't use a Jem for, but then again, you can say that of most Strat hybrids.

With an acoustic bridge and a coil tap you'd be able to do just about anything with it.

If I use another guitar such as an SG for something it's usually more for the tactile change.

I can see a BSB getting funny looks in some situations but the 7VWH is classy/cheesy enough to look cool most of the time. I'd love to see a SK or a PMC in a bluegrass band!!

I keep my 7VWH next to me at all times in the studio, it's the first thing I reach for.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-23-2003, 05:09 AM

With a MIDI pickup, you could hook it up to a decent synth and play some mean trance/techno stuff too
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-23-2003, 12:22 PM

I really can't think of anything a stock JEM wouldn't be good for. I love it for everything.

Mike 777 Haug

Tags
coil tap , jeff beck , les paul , music store

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode