how would you compare a radius and a js - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2007, 04:13 AM Thread Starter

how would you compare a radius and a js

just wondering which JS would be close to a Radius...

I know there has been major improvements since the Radius (radius, pickups, shape of the neck...).

I think the trem system is the same though.

what's your opinion?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2007, 12:51 AM

Re: how would you compare a radius and a js

Quote:
Originally Posted by choubix View Post
I know there has been major improvements since the Radius (radius, pickups, shape of the neck...).
[cough] uh, what? If you're asking for comparisons, you can't really know this at all. It's a personal thing of course, but the Radius guitars are far better IMO than the JS blahs.

The original Radius was in '87. It had somewhat shorter horns and shallower cutaways than the later model. In '88 the body shape was streamlined and this is the best of all three shapes. Very sleek, very sexy. Then Ibanez mad the JS series which was a fattened up version of the Radius body. The horns got thicker. 'Bulbous' is a good word. It looks, wrong. For the last years of the Radius series, Ibanez made them just like the JS bodies. Thick.

Pickups? probably. The fred and PAF pro can be well argued to sound better than the stock dimarzios in the Radius guitars.

Neck? Preference again. I think the JS necks are way too thick and don't fit the sleekness that the body is trying to convey. FWIW, I also think the Ultra necks on the '88+ radius guitars are too thick for those bodies. Now the '87 radius necks, ah, those were nice. I have four '88+ 540Rs and three have the '87 necks. One has a fluke '89 neck that is consistent in its taper all the way up to the body.

Trems on the radius were original Edge trems. Joe still uses those I hear although the JS guitars come with newer models.

So in my case, the JS is a step down.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2007, 01:08 AM Thread Starter

wow, that's quite anastringent view on the JS.

I used to own a 540R years ago and just managed to get hold of two.
I really like them.

so: quality wise you really prefer earlier models. the only improvement would be the pickups.
It's amazing given the price tag of a JS...
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2007, 11:22 AM

Thumbs up Re: how would you compare a radius and a js

I have a '92 540RLTD with an original Wizard. I love that guitar!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2007, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

jsut a quick question: you have a Edge trem, not a Lo Pro?

on a different topic I raise a couple fo question as I just received another 540R

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showth...ewpost&t=63879

I doubt the neck is the original... the wood is not as nice, the polish is not great either. but the trem is an Edge (I think but how to be sure... the block just shows Ibanez Edge at the back in the trem cavity... same in the other one)

on top of that this guitar seems unplayed...

i got the serial nubmer on the neck. I would be intereted in knowing whether Ishiabshi sold me a copy or a refurbished guitar for the price of a genuine vintage 540R now...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2007, 02:41 PM

i've owned a radius (and still have a 542r) and have multiple js models. imo, quality and construction of the js models is better than the radius guitars i've played. stuff like fretwork, neck pocket fit and hardware was just of higher quality. the rest is pure preference and honestly, the slight differences in body shape don't make much of a difference to me. but then again, i don't get too bent out of shape from switching from a js to an rg shape on a consistent basis. they are (and were) both quality guitars, but more craftmanship seems to have been placed on the js guitars, imo.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 07:29 PM

Reviews: 10

reading through the thread and was wondering if anyone had seen the js style/radius body ChristopherWoods is offering? he has two posted on his webpage. one is kinda....well unappealing, but the other one looks pretty accurate. would like to hear what your take is on this body and which radius has he replicated.
thanks
bhuard

Tags
body shape , edge trem , edge trems , paf pro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode