How was your JEM setup out of the box? Are all setup specs to steve of ibanez specs? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 01:46 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation How was your JEM setup out of the box? Are all setup specs to steve of ibanez specs?

I just ordered a 2010 JEM from a local guitar shop, and it got me wondering how my previous JEM's were setup out of the box. Sadly, I can't remember, as I changed the strings immediately, as I prefer ernie ball 10-46.

This also got me wondering if the JEM setups specs are what Steve Vai wanted them to be, or just a general universal action height for all prestige RG's and JEM's. Does anyone know?

Do any of you remember how your setup was in terms of intonation, action, etc.? Was it to perfect pitch tuning? How did you like the overall setup?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 03:32 AM

Reviews: 65
Re: How was your JEM setup out of the box? Are all setup specs to steve of ibanez spe

It is a standard setup.
Vai has a very unique setup, which is not really good for the average player.

The standard Ibanez setup can very from very good to "so so". Intonation is most of the time quite OK, but still tunable.
Usually I do a complete setup to my liking anyways, so it does not bother me how the guitar is setup, as long as the finish is good, or I order from Rich, where I know the setup will be perfect.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 06:15 AM

Re: How was your JEM setup out of the box? Are all setup specs to steve of ibanez spe

I've bought a Jem77BRMR, UV777PBK and a JS1200, all brand new and they were set up really badly from the factory. Infact the wammy bar on the UV used to hit the pick up switch tip when set to the middle pickup. I bought my first Ibanez, a 440R back in 91 and apart from ajusting the trem hight it was set up perfect from day 1.
Its not particularly rocket science to set them up, though I do wonder sometimes at peoples ability to do it? I bought a UV77MC 2 years ago and the previous owners set up was not good to say the least!
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 11:41 AM

Reviews: 6

Like mentioned above, unless you buy a guitar from someone like Rich, if the vendor claims its set up, its more than likley not, so this should not be relied upon.

If you buy a new one, or a used one, a good setup from a REPUTABLE Luthier is worth its weight in gold, i cannot stress the importance of what a difference a good setup makes. If your gonna spend 2k on a guitar, what difference does the setup cost make?

Just my two pennies worth :-)
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 11:57 AM

No guitar comes remotely setup out of the factory unless you buy it direct from a factory, like from Carvin. Most guitar stores also do not do anything in regard to setting up an instrument either, as that adds cost and therefore lowers profit. Decent action can be hoped for, but decent intonation really cannot.

If you buy a guitar online I suppose you could hope for it to come somewhat tuned when you open the case, but unless you've been specifically told by the last person in the chain before it arrives to you that the instrument will be setup, you should assume it will need a thorough setup right out of the box.

I have heard a number of people say their guitars came out of the box beautifully setup, but I believe those are either extreme exceptions, people unfamiliar with an actually decent setup, or some mixture of the two
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 04:36 PM

Hoshino USA sets up all Ibanez guitars they distribute.

Now before people start hollerin' . . .

Of course, setup is a personal preference, and many guitarists won't be happy with the standard. But at least it's been setup and is perfectly functional.

I may be one of those "mixtures of the two" that Jim is talking about because I haven't had problems with the setup on any of my three Ibanezes. But then again I got them from a good retailer who took pride in putting playable instruments in his customers' hands.

Peace

Mike
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 05:20 PM

Not a Jem owner here, hope you don't mind. My JCRG came perfectly set up from Japan with a very straight neck and intonated, except for the bridge that was a bit higher than expected.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikey Mikey View Post
But then again I got them from a good retailer who took pride in putting playable instruments in his customers' hands.

Peace

Mike
There you go then, it was likely setup by the person you bought it from. Matt will setup a guitar for you before he ships it, Rich will go over it like nobody's business, but you get whatever you get if you buy from Musician's Friend or Guitar Center or wherever.

The point is, you should not expect a new guitar to be setup from the factory. Ask Rich how many guitars he has had to return because they had defects, never mind setup issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melek Taus View Post
Not a Jem owner here, hope you don't mind. My JCRG came perfectly set up from Japan with a very straight neck and intonated, except for the bridge that was a bit higher than expected.
"Japan" isn't exactly a reseller though, is it? You bought it from a Japanese store, or an individual - one of whom set it up.

Last edited by jim777; 07-29-2010 at 05:29 PM.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
"Japan" isn't exactly a reseller though, is it? You bought it from a Japanese store, or an individual - one of whom set it up.
From a famous 3bay seller from Japan.

Last edited by Melek Taus; 07-29-2010 at 07:41 PM. Reason: 3bay
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 08:20 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikey Mikey View Post
Hoshino USA sets up all Ibanez guitars they distribute.
Let me give you the numbers and you tell me what "setup" they do.

20,000 guitars per month, 20 "checkers" [this is their term for them, not 20 techs, 20 "checkers"]. So each "checker" has to do 1000 guitars a month. Figure 22 work days in a month, each "checker" is responsible for 45 guitar a day. 5.6 minutes to get a guitar from a pallete, unpacket, check it, test it, and repack it. The unpack and repack eat a minute each so you've got a guitar in your hand for 3 minutes. The inspection alone is going to eat another minute, as is the test [if it's a real test], leaving, 1.6 minutes to actually do anything to the guitar. You are very fortunate if the guitar is in tune when you get it from any distributor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melek Taus View Post
From a famous 3bay seller from Japan.
Who is very well known for not touching a thing so you got the setup from the factory. The stores that wholesale them to him are absolutely not touching them. So it's so laughable for you to claim the intonation was perfect on a guitar with a bridge in factory jig saddle alignment. The ony way it's even close to intonated is if it's checked open and 12th [or harmonic] on a tuner accutate to 1 cents. I've never gotten a single guitar that had anything other than a factory jig setup on the bridge and guaranteed none of them are in correct intonation by any stretch, even by accident.

Guitars from the distributor may or may not be in tune, usually will not even have the pads tight so pads fall off during shipping, and have not been "setup" of truely adjusted since they left the factory, which setup the guitar to the standard of the individual that did the job, 2-12 months ago.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Who is very well known for not touching a thing so you got the setup from the factory.
That's what I thought. I'll check again the intonation and post here what I see, but at least on a regular Boss tuner it was quite accurate.

But on any other guitar with OFR, Edge, TRS or Gotoh without that intonation screw, how do you adjust it so accurately? Is there any other way besides loosening the strings and adjusting the saddle and repeating that process countless times until you find the spot?
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 09:36 PM

Reviews: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Let me give you the numbers and you tell me what "setup" they do.

20,000 guitars per month, 20 "checkers" [this is their term for them, not 20 techs, 20 "checkers"]. So each "checker" has to do 1000 guitars a month. Figure 22 work days in a month, each "checker" is responsible for 45 guitar a day. 5.6 minutes to get a guitar from a pallete, unpacket, check it, test it, and repack it. The unpack and repack eat a minute each so you've got a guitar in your hand for 3 minutes. The inspection alone is going to eat another minute, as is the test [if it's a real test], leaving, 1.6 minutes to actually do anything to the guitar. You are very fortunate if the guitar is in tune when you get it from any distributor.

uhhhhh.... those are some very uhhh encouraging figures....
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 09:41 PM
Vendor

The only bridge I use a tool on is one where I can access the fine tuner with the tool in place, Edge, EZ, and ZR.

I should quantify that the 30 seconds they may spend looking and testing a Jam Pack guitar will leave them a little more time to have a JEM or equivalent in their hands. So figure they might have one a few minutes more, most of that extra time is going to be eaten by trading licks with their neighbor checker.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 09:49 PM

Reviews: 4

and this is why most of us jemsite-iens buy from you!
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 09:53 PM
Vendor

Setup adjustments any capable player should know how to do themselves. Past that, a full sort to get to true instrument level, there aren't that many players % wise that would even dare to know what to do, if they realized there was something needed anyway.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode