I am contributing to the "Great JS6 Influx" - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 04:50 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 3
I am contributing to the "Great JS6 Influx"

Yes, I just picked up a JS6 from my local craigslist. The guy posted just before midnight yesterday and I called him this morning and drove 45 min to pick it up. The urgency came from the price tag. $350 with brand new gator case. I couldn't believe my eyes and I wasn't about to let this one pass me by. It has the typical worming, mostly on the lower edge, and a couple of small bruises on the back of the headstock. The worst damage consists of three "scratches" on the back. There are a few of them, about 3 to 3 1/2 inches long which wouldn’t be much of a problem except they are 1/16th to 1/8th inch deep... OUCH! I plan on filling them in just to minimize the appearance. It is also missing the retainer bar and one of the black saddle springs has been replaced with a silver one.

My wife thinks I am going to re-sell it. Which I might after I get it looking as good as possible. It plays and sounds excellent! No fret wear. The neck is straight and perfect. The hardware is clean. It is LIGHT! I couldn't belive it was made out of mahogany. I am taking it to my luthier tomorrow to see if he has any bright ideas for restoration.

I will be taking pictures soon.

BTW, I have never seen so much chatter about JS6/6000 in this forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 07:36 AM

Re: I am contributing to the "Great JS6 Influx"

Good find. I always dreamed I would find one at a steal like that. Never happened. Don't play it a lot if you want to re-sell it. You'll like it too much.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 07:42 AM

I want a JS6! Someone sell me one cheap/give me one for free!
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 08:25 AM

Awesome find. Congrats!
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

Pics taken with iPhone.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 06:30 PM

Wow dude. That looks great other than those gashes on the back. I'll give you $400 for it.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

haha, I thought about taking it to a local guitar shop close to where I picked it up to see if I could turn it around for a quick 100, but that was against my better judgment. I will give it some TLC and make some beautiful music with it for a few weeks then consider putting it up for sale. It plays GREAT the way it is. If after a proper setup it plays any better I might just hold onto it.

I am lacking any humbuckers in my arsenal at the moment...
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 06:59 PM

Reviews: 5

Nice Score! Looks beautiful in the natural finish. Congrats!
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 07:29 PM

I'd wanted one for a long long time. I don't think it was the pent up desire for it either ... the 2nd time I played mine, I was really blown away. The first time was just for like 2 minutes when I picked it up, then I had to go to work, so I couldn't enjoy it! When I played it again 2 days later, I was just thinking "I'm really glad I bought this guitar" the whole time. I think you'll want to keep it.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

We will see how my amp responds to it. I have everything set up to let my single coils scream and humbuckers might be overpowering. I guess I could make good use of the high pass!
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 12:54 AM Thread Starter

I just dropped it off at my local luthier. He quoted me $160 to fill in the scratches on the back with glue/mahogany dust and swell out any other indentations, then do a good buff/oil/buff. It will probably be in the shop for a couple of weeks but his work is worth the wait. I hope it turns out well!
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 01:18 AM

Very cool. If you decide not to keep it, you will definitely not have a problem recouping that investment.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 02:37 AM Thread Starter

So, I need to know, If I were to order a string retainer what color would I ask for? If this is "chrome" it sure is a blueish looking chrome. I would just get one from Rich because it would be fail safe but he has a $50 min for credit card orders.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 08:08 AM

Mine is chrome with black screws. Looks pretty much exactly like one I've ordered from StewMac before, but ordering from Rich is probably the only way to guarantee it is exactly right.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 08:32 AM

Reviews: 18

All the hardware on a JS6 should be chrome, except for the volume and tone knobs. Give Rich a call and get the hardware from him.

Jimmy

Tags
js6 js6000 js

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode