I am going to buy a JEM 7VWH from Rich - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-21-2004, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 60
I am going to buy a JEM 7VWH from Rich

But I have a few questions about my choice. First of all, I am in a bind on which JEM to get. I know I said VWH, because this is the one I am leaning towards. My other choices are the DBK, and the JEM10. The reason I would consider the DBK is because of the value. I am not real crazy about the "wrinkled" finish. But it is a good deal cjeaper than the other two. And the reason I would consider the JEM10 is because of its glamour. That is one beeeeautiful guitar! This is without a doubt my favorite of all the JEM's. But the price tag is a good deal more than the other two. So in the middle, there is the VWH, this is the guitar I have wanted for years. Ever since I saw, and played one, I knew that I would have one someday. A friend of mine let me use his for a few weeks, and it was awsome. However, I have an RG620x that sounded better than the VWH, but I can contribute this to the Dimarzio "tone zone" that I installed in it. (BTW, that is a great pickup!) I have the money for any of the above mentioned, but I need to know if the difference in cost can be justified by the "playability" of the JEM10 over the VWH??? (keeping the DBK out of the picture for now) Do you guys think that the JEM10 plays any better than the VWH? Or feels, sounds, etc...for that matter. I am fairly sure that the JEM10 will be worth alot more maney than the VWH in the future do to its small production. The VWH is still being made, so it would be more abundant. I am rattling now, but I am the type of person who really does their homework before I make any large purchase. This will be my "dream guitar" that I am getting, and I dont want to make any mistakes that I will regret later on. Thanks guys.


Eddie
Powerball is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-21-2004, 06:46 PM
Vendor
 
Rich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 25,565
Don't ever buy a clean 10th to use as a player, only buy a player 10th to play. The 10th is as expensive as they are because demand keeps them there, doesn't mean it's any better a guitar, IMO it's not. It just has more high end apointments. The full abalone vine, the purfling, aluminium plates, bound body, neck, and head, etc.
Rich is offline  
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-21-2004, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
Don't ever buy a clean 10th to use as a player, only buy a player 10th to play. The 10th is as expensive as they are because demand keeps them there, doesn't mean it's any better a guitar, IMO it's not. It just has more high end apointments. The full abalone vine, the purfling, aluminium plates, bound body, neck, and head, etc.
Good point. I knew about the abalone, but what is purfling, and which aluminum plates? I am assuming the pick gaurd, and the cover plates on the back????

Hey Rich, Did you get that used VWH in yet? And do you have a close date of when the new ones will arrive? I am itching dude! lol
Powerball is offline  
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-21-2004, 06:55 PM
Vendor
 
Rich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 25,565
No firm dates, never are.

Purfling is abalone that runs beside body and head binding [and neck binding on some guitars].

Plates are the guard and headstock overlay
Rich is offline  
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-21-2004, 07:44 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,236
I'd break it down like this for you in terms of which to pick. of course, this opinion is just my own view:

If you want to play a lot of guitar solos with beautiful smooth tone, buy a 7vwh.

If you want to play a lot of riffage like metallica, with some solo's scattered in, buy a dbk....its a better fit and sounds a bit tighter for that type of music. The neck is also thinner which makes it easier to play power chords.

The 7vwh is the perfect screaming soloing guitar. But not everyone plays ala Steve Vai. If you want to play lincoln park, forget the 7vwh.


Good luck, let us know the route you decide to take.
davester1234 is offline  
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-21-2004, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by davester1234
I'd break it down like this for you in terms of which to pick. of course, this opinion is just my own view:

If you want to play a lot of guitar solos with beautiful smooth tone, buy a 7vwh.

If you want to play a lot of riffage like metallica, with some solo's scattered in, buy a dbk....its a better fit and sounds a bit tighter for that type of music. The neck is also thinner which makes it easier to play power chords.

The 7vwh is the perfect screaming soloing guitar. But not everyone plays ala Steve Vai. If you want to play lincoln park, forget the 7vwh.


Good luck, let us know the route you decide to take.

Thanks for the reply man. You also have a good point. Which ever guitar I buy, I will be playing it, I wont be looking at it. However, I dont play "hard". In other words, I dont gig, and my equipment NEVER leaves my house. I take great pride in my gear, and every Monday, I set aside 2 hours or so, and polish all of it. As far as guitars, I have an RG270 , an RG 570, an RG 620X,an Agile LP, a PRS CU 24-10 top, and a Takamine EF 341C. As far as amps, I have a 1992 "block lettered" 5150, with the matching 5150 slanted cab, an ENGL Powerball which go to 2 cabs, a Mesa 4x12, and an Avatar loaded with Sheffeild 1200 series speakers (same as in 5150 cabs). Digitech GNX3, BBE sonic maximizer, and 9 Boss pedals. So you see, I have alot of cleaning to do. But anyhow, I am not hard on my equipment at all. I have all of that gear on a spare room in my house, just for fun. I am what they call "a bedroom wanker".

Now, I am fairly sure that I will be getting the JEM7VWH, it is the one I have always dreamed of. However, I like the neck on my RG620 the best, I *think* its the "wizard". But I dont mind the necl on the VWH at all. Now all I have to do is wait until Rich gets his shipment in.....Ugh!!! I hate the wait, and antisipation!!!!! Thanks guys


Eddie
Powerball is offline  
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-21-2004, 09:06 PM
Vendor
 
Rich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 25,565
I'd go for the DNA then
Rich is offline  
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-21-2004, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
I'd go for the DNA then

Hmmmm, do I hear a hint of persuasivness? Hey rich, can you send me the pics with the prices on the DNA's? I tried the $$$ tag again today, and it isnt working for me.


Do you think the DNAs will be worth money, and more sought after down the road?


Eddie
Powerball is offline  
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-21-2004, 09:19 PM
Vendor
 
Rich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 25,565
I kid alot

You're on the wrong page
http://www.ibanezrules.com/used.htm#JEM

The future is better left to the soothsayers, the ingredients are there but ultimately it will be left to those that spend the money. Basically 95% of guitars you buy today will be worth more than they are today, when the cost of bread is double what it is today
Rich is offline  
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-21-2004, 09:53 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Maine (USA)
Posts: 1,628
I was close to being in your shoes not too long ago. I was torn between the WH and the SBL. The DBK was not an option because I just didn't/don't like its looks. There are plenty of guys here who love their DBKs (admittedly, it's probably more than the SBLs). The 10th was never an option either because I wanted a player. (I just might gopher a DNA someday to hang on the wall.) I settled on the SBL. It all comes down to preference. I bought mine from Rich too (you won't be disappointed). Again, if money is at all an issue, I'd suggest staying away from the 10th if you're going to do anything besides display it. Anyway, I think you'll be happy with the WH.

Keep us posted...
bpd111 is offline  
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-21-2004, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpd111
I was close to being in your shoes not too long ago. I was torn between the WH and the SBL. The DBK was not an option because I just didn't/don't like its looks. There are plenty of guys here who love their DBKs (admittedly, it's probably more than the SBLs). The 10th was never an option either because I wanted a player. (I just might gopher a DNA someday to hang on the wall.) I settled on the SBL. It all comes down to preference. I bought mine from Rich too (you won't be disappointed). Again, if money is at all an issue, I'd suggest staying away from the 10th if you're going to do anything besides display it. Anyway, I think you'll be happy with the WH.

Keep us posted...

Cool, thanks for your feedback. I am about 90% sure that I am going to get the vwh. ohhh the wait is killing me!...he he he..thats ok, it will give me time to take my 90% to 100%. Besides, I might find one used for a good price, you never know. But I would rather buy new, and have Rich set it up.


Eddie
Powerball is offline  
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-22-2004, 12:45 AM
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 306
I played both the DBK and VWH at a store. My impression of the DBK was that it felt and sounded pretty similar to an RG570. But the VWH felt amazing and it sounded great, too. So I eventually bought the VWH!
bachle7 is offline  
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-22-2004, 03:21 AM
Fry
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: North America
Posts: 259
I was going to get a vwh but I ended up getting a 2002 dbk from Rich. I now like it more than any other guitar, but if you have always dreamed of getting a vwh, I say you get it. It will always be in the back of your head if you don't.
Fry is offline  
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-22-2004, 09:26 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: London, Essex, UK
Posts: 3,619
Very true, if you have the money for the "one you want", then get that.
Dont go and get something else, because it will only be in the back of your mind afterwards.

Dont get wrong, in some cases, that guitar might be better - but its not "the one". Always go with what you want personally. You will kick yourself afterwards if you dont!

And obviously the usual applies here, always try and play the guitar beforehand. Sometimes this is not possible, but it is an advantage. If I were given 5 VWH's, I would go with 1 in particular. They all sound and play differently to your needs. None are particularly "better", just different

Good luck with your choice.
Gary - The.Godfather
the.godfather is offline  
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-22-2004, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.godfather
Very true, if you have the money for the "one you want", then get that.
Dont go and get something else, because it will only be in the back of your mind afterwards.

Dont get wrong, in some cases, that guitar might be better - but its not "the one". Always go with what you want personally. You will kick yourself afterwards if you dont!

And obviously the usual applies here, always try and play the guitar beforehand. Sometimes this is not possible, but it is an advantage. If I were given 5 VWH's, I would go with 1 in particular. They all sound and play differently to your needs. None are particularly "better", just different

Good luck with your choice.
Gary - The.Godfather
This is true. I have a feeling though that when Rich goes over it, the guitar will be "fine tuned". Maybe if I send him the money early, and he DOES get the batch of 12 in, he can go through them, and pick out the cream of the crop.
hint hint hint
Powerball is offline  
Reply

Tags
abalone vine , alder body , bbe sonic , bbe sonic maximizer , boss pedal , boss pedals , ebony finger board , engl powerball , finger board , headstock overlay , locking stud , locking studs , neck binding , prs mccarty , sonic maximizer , steve vai , tone zone

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WTT- Jem 7VWH Neck with Ebony for 7VWH neck with Rosewood Bad_Horsie1686 Classified Ads: Ibanez JEM/UV Guitars 22 06-11-2006 12:12 PM
Thanks Rich Mr. Clean Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models 24 03-09-2006 06:24 PM
Hey Rich..... Mr. Rich Harris Dr Mindcrime Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models 2 02-14-2005 10:02 PM
JEM 7VWH ..I am buying a new one from Rich Harris! jelyfinger Vendors, Auction & Reseller Talk 4 03-10-2004 08:17 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome