I am wrong about many many things... - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

I am wrong about many many things...

..and so are other people. Here is a sample:

- The electric guitar is dying.
- More women need to play the electric guitar.
- The JEM is irrelevant.
- MIJ is better than Indo.
- Etc.

So, when I saw this video, the irony of it all was refreshing.

The video comes from Mary Spender's YouTube channel which I actually find interesting because her perspective is probably not your own unless you are a female British singer/songwriter too.
jemsite likes this.
Formerly Given To Fly is online  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 12:07 AM

Re: I am wrong about many many things...

There was a YouTube video of Jen playing put up a couple weeks ago and some guy named Whale commented that she was a really bad player and wondered how she got that gig. My first reaction was sexist pig. But then I watched some videos of Jen playing. Yeah, she’s not very good.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 03:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The TPS Report View Post
There was a YouTube video of Jen playing put up a couple weeks ago and some guy named Whale commented that she was a really bad player and wondered how she got that gig. My first reaction was sexist pig. But then I watched some videos of Jen playing. Yeah, she’s not very good.
You might be right but "some guy named Whale commented that she was a really bad player." You tell Whale marine mammals do not have proper names (unless they are pets but...)and to lower case that W.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 08:40 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Given To Fly View Post
..and so are other people. Here is a sample:

- The electric guitar is dying.
- More women need to play the electric guitar.
- The JEM is irrelevant.
- MIJ is better than Indo.
- Etc.

So, when I saw this video, the irony of it all was refreshing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6w6Kds4RnA&t=0s

The video comes from Mary Spender's YouTube channel which I actually find interesting because her perspective is probably not your own unless you are a female British singer/songwriter too.
Had to skip/FF a bit but she starts off saying she was on the road for 18+ months. That alone is a whole different perspective than anyone working 9/5 or in school posting on forums... lets keep it real. I don't believe anyone here is spending all their time "writing music" if you did you wouldn't worry about alder sink lines

+1 for madhatter promo
taracatac and FireEagle like this.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
Had to skip/FF a bit but she starts off saying she was on the road for 18+ months. That alone is a whole different perspective than anyone working 9/5 or in school posting on forums... lets keep it real. I don't believe anyone here is spending all their time "writing music" if you did you wouldn't worry about alder sink lines

+1 for madhatter promo
I had to skip/FF as well.
18+ months of touring would give anyone a different perspective on a lot of things. She was not the British singer/songwriter.
I was wrong in thinking the bridge on that JEM would not stay in tune. It stayed in tune quite well.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 12:12 AM

Ok, I found the video where Whale is in the comment section. People here might enjoy this because it focuses on Ibanez guitars.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 06:51 PM

Reviews: 21

I'm hesitant to say any guitarist is "better" than another regardless of gender. Jen is in a band where shredding isn't a top need I imagine from what I recall of Evanesence's music. Also, Jen is a fine player but image does also come into play in an act like Evanescence I'm guessing. If Jen and Greg Howe auditioned for that gig I'm guessing Jen would get the job. Not sexist. Not elitist. Not a shred olympics thing. That's just how it is sometimes.
As far as MII I would tour with my AZ242. I'd also have a MIJ fixed bridge RG too though, especially if I didn't have a guitar tech. I think Jen has a tech with Evanesence.
I really did dig the 1987 vs 2018 RG550 vid. That was nice.
jemsite likes this.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

If the standard to which we judge a persons ability on the guitar is when they are playing blindfolded, I think we all are going to fall several notches on the talent scale. This is not particularly relevant either.

Speaking of Evanescence, I think the musical potential for a rock/metal band with a female lead singer is high. The overall sound is “good.” There seems to be an inherent flaw though because every band that shows this potential seems to end on bad terms, especially with record labels, before they really enter their prime. Thoughts?
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 07:09 PM
Vendor

Talk about disorienting. It's one thing to close your eyes but another to be blinded, when you can see. Of course you're going to get simple riffs she has the most confidence in and still expect a missed position. Although I know nothing of the band or how well she can play, she's got stones just taking the shot.
mike570 and doriangrey like this.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 07:30 PM

Think Whale judged her playing based on that blindfold video. I went a step further to watch her other videos like this one. There seems to be a flavor of the Seinfeld episode with Milos the tennis pro. Just my two cents.

mike570 likes this.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 09:40 AM

She's not bad? Her taste in arrangement is pretty good.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 11:44 AM

Reviews: 21

I like her playing. Ain't nothing wrong with it. She can certainly shred but is shred really the criteria to determine a "good" player?
Gilmour and Jeff Beck are two of my favorite guitar players but they don't have a tenth of the musical vocabulary that Paul Gilbert has.
I think my "bad guitar player" list is relatively short. Maybe Jack White and a few others. And really I dislike Jack's voice more. In fact IMO it's a mystery to me how he's so popular.
But that's me.
doriangrey and FireEagle like this.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 12:49 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

She's a good sport! Good playing & attitude. She would do as good or better jamming with a random drummer, bassist & vocalist than most reading. Let's keep it real she wouldn't shred monotonously with scales & modes that disinterest the masses.

Oddly, she really thought the '87 guitar was shorter (different scale) but maybe the balance is different, combined with narrower heel (56 vs 58mm)???
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 04:41 PM

I saw a video of two women holding guitars and I was like cool, looking forward to this. And then they just started talking. And talking some more. And some more.

Am I wrong or was there about 10 seconds of total playing it that video, to prove that the guitar was in tune?

I've always hated that cliche of "I'm a guitar player so I need to hold my guitar during through my entire interview".
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The TPS Report View Post
Ok, I found the video where Whale is in the comment section. People here might enjoy this because it focuses on Ibanez guitars.
Really interesting video. I found her comment interesting about disliking the Super Wizard neck, which based on her statement that she's been involved with Ibanez about 4 years, I assume she means the Super Wizard HP.

Then when handed an '87 RG550, she can't identify the guitar but knows a Super Wizard HP immediately when it's in her hands. Then they spend the rest of the video trying to figure out exactly what's different and point out unimportant things like that the finish has become glossy on the old neck and 1-piece vs 5-piece construction. It's interesting how few people seem to realize how different the modern necks feel compared to the originals. She can even immediately feel the difference but struggles to put it into words.
mike570 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode