I bought *another* Jem 7DBK ... need your help. - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 80
Exclamation I bought *another* Jem 7DBK ... need your help.

I've owned 3 or 4 in the past, and, well here I go again. I suppose the reason one can get these at a reasonable price is because of the lack of cool fret markers. No 'vine of life', no pyramids, ... just those silly Phillips heads screws that, while they're cool up close, turn into simple dots at about 10 feet away. Argh!

So, here's where I need your help. Do I replace the neck with another stock Jem neck with the vine of life markers? ... Or do I send this neck out to get customized??? If I go with a different Jem neck, what fits properly? (Ebony fretboard please.) If I send this one out to get customized, I would like to get recommendations.

Thanks jemsite.
Oracle13 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 03:03 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York, USA
Posts: 563
Re: I bought *another* Jem 7DBK ... need your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oracle13 View Post
I've owned 3 or 4 in the past, and, well here I go again. I suppose the reason one can get these at a reasonable price is because of the lack of cool fret markers. No 'vine of life', no pyramids, ... just those silly Phillips heads screws that, while they're cool up close, turn into simple dots at about 10 feet away. Argh!

So, here's where I need your help. Do I replace the neck with another stock Jem neck with the vine of life markers? ... Or do I send this neck out to get customized??? If I go with a different Jem neck, what fits properly? (Ebony fretboard please.) If I send this one out to get customized, I would like to get recommendations.

Thanks jemsite.
Get LED dots, man. No other way to go.
CityofBlindingLights is offline  
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 05:04 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Valencia, Spain
Posts: 784
Reviews: 3
Re: I bought *another* Jem 7DBK ... need your help.

I like the way it is. No custom modds needed.
vy100 is offline  
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 05:54 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ossett,West Yorkshire,U.K.
Posts: 252
Re: I bought *another* Jem 7DBK ... need your help.

Leave the neck alone, the screw heads look cool. I have a BSB and when i read about people wanting to do away with the inlays for something else it really does my head in. The BSB and the DBK are ment to look industrial, well how industrial is a vine or pyramids? Vines and pyramids are spot on but only on the right guitar. I'd leave it well alone, I feel leaving things standard is best, know one would thank you in the long run when you come to sell the thing it would more than likley sell for less. But its your choice its your guitar and who am I to stop you from doing something you feel you want to do. If it suits you then go for it, but put pyramids on it as they look the best and more jems should have them on,lol
morris"squid finger"daley is offline  
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 07:35 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Detroit, MI, USA
Posts: 1,457
Re: I bought *another* Jem 7DBK ... need your help.

If cost were not an issue you could have just bought a 77VBK and gotten everything you want in a brand-new guitar (OK, except ebony). So I will assume cost IS an issue. Buying a replacement ebony JEM neck isn't really an option, especially if cost is an issue. If you want to retain the DBK neck profile, there aren't any choices anyway. That puts you in modify territory. If you pull the screw heads and try to inlay the vine, it will never hide the fills for the holes. That means a new custom fretboard (which is probably the cheapest option of the above anyway).

I don't blame you for wanting to change them though. Those screw heads are completely lame ... even more than the textured body.
ryanb is offline  
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 80
Re: I bought *another* Jem 7DBK ... need your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanb View Post
That means a new custom fretboard (which is probably the cheapest option of the above anyway).
I think you're right. I'm going to look into having the fretboard replaced with ebony with NO fret markers at all. Maybe just something at the 12th fret...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanb View Post
I don't blame you for wanting to change them though. Those screw heads are completely lame ... even more than the textured body.
That's where you and I definitely part ways. I absolutely LOVE the truck-bed liner finish on the DBKs.
Oracle13 is offline  
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 03:03 AM
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Hilversum, The Netherlands
Posts: 3,274
Re: I bought *another* Jem 7DBK ... need your help.

Do your name in sanskrit on the fretboard.

http://sss.vn.ua/san_gif.htm
Ibateur is offline  
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 04:08 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 80
Thumbs up Re: I bought *another* Jem 7DBK ... need your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibateur View Post
Do your name in sanskrit on the fretboard.

http://sss.vn.ua/san_gif.htm
NOW we're cooking with gasoline!!! THANKS for the link ... and idea.
Oracle13 is offline  
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 06:22 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Victoria - BC, Canada
Posts: 666
Reviews: 6
Re: I bought *another* Jem 7DBK ... need your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanb View Post
If cost were not an issue you could have just bought a 77VBK and gotten everything you want in a brand-new guitar (OK, except ebony). So I will assume cost IS an issue. Buying a replacement ebony JEM neck isn't really an option, especially if cost is an issue. If you want to retain the DBK neck profile, there aren't any choices anyway. That puts you in modify territory. If you pull the screw heads and try to inlay the vine, it will never hide the fills for the holes. That means a new custom fretboard (which is probably the cheapest option of the above anyway).

I don't blame you for wanting to change them though. Those screw heads are completely lame ... even more than the textured body.
It's not that easy, 05's and up have 2mm wider necks at the heel, so it wouldn't be a direct replacement. VBKs are 07 + so he's gonna need to look into other necks for that. Personally, i'd say if you want something bad enough, go for it. But why buy a DBK in the first place ? The extra cost for an evo or anything else that isn't cosmetically stripped is of course all in the details, so why not get a VBK or VWH in the first ?
Fender868 is offline  
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 02:44 AM
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: New South Wales, Australia
Posts: 1,024
Re: I bought *another* Jem 7DBK ... need your help.

I rekon led lights would be cool. I want a led light JEM really bad!
ibz_SA is offline  
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 06:34 AM
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Het rijk van Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Posts: 1,629
Lightbulb Re: I bought *another* Jem 7DBK ... need your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender868 View Post
But why buy a DBK in the first place ? The extra cost for an evo or anything else that isn't cosmetically stripped is of course all in the details, so why not get a VBK or VWH in the first ?

Because some people like the DBK neck profile better than the VWH.


Quote:
If I send this one out to get customized, I would like to get recommendations.
1. Forget the DBKs, get a HAM or...
2. Replace rosewood board with a maple board (like the proto BSB) or...
3. Inlay suggestions, on ebony:
-none
-offset dots (at 12th fret)
-dimes
-barbed wire
-hurricanes
-atomic/nuke/biohazard
-pacman
eviltwin is offline  
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 07:20 AM
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Braga, Portugal
Posts: 1,339
Reviews: 4
Re: I bought *another* Jem 7DBK ... need your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morris"squid finger"daley View Post
The BSB and the DBK are ment to look industrial, well how industrial is a vine or pyramids?
That is exactly what I feel about it!
If you still don't quite like it, try some LED markers, but keep the "Phillips head look" as much as possible.
Crazy_Guitar is offline  
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 03:21 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 130
Re: I bought *another* Jem 7DBK ... need your help.

I'd leave them alone. I personally really like the look. I get sick and tired of the vine inlays... pyramids are okay, but they would look really stupid with the body finish. Honestly, if you like the neck and don't mind the basswood body, but wanted a whole different look, you should have just bought a late 80s RG550 and customized it how you wanted. Would have been cheaper, and in the end you wouldn't be destroying any value a Jem would have by modifying it. An old RG isn't that expensive, new pups, and a custom fretboard... heck even if you changed the trem on it, you still wouldn't spend the money to buy a 7DBK.

Leave it be!
Silver Sable is offline  
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 04:28 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 63
Re: I bought *another* Jem 7DBK ... need your help.

I'm with all the guys who say leave it as is. I have a 7vwh and a 7vsbl and been gassing for a DBK. I actually like the fact that it has dots instead because its different from the all those vines out there.
isaac is offline  
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 80
Exclamation Update...

I appreciate all of the replies. And even if I don't agree with all of them, it has given me plenty of food for thought. And hopefully for others, should they happen by this thread in the future.

I've decided to have a local (& trusted) luthier replace the rosewoood fretboard with ebony, and just have one inlay at the 12th fret (in sanskrit of course ). It won't be done for several months, but I'll post pics when it's done.

For the record, I've owned over 300 Ibanez guitars, and have had more than my share of "custom" ones. For this project, I simply want to customize a Jem 7DBK because I love everything about the model *except* for the rosewood and fret markers. Customizing a different model while trying to get the same end result never has worked out for me.
Oracle13 is offline  
Reply

Tags
fret markers

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how is the 7dbk? kooshball Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models 25 04-20-2006 08:54 PM
Just bought my first JEM (7DBK) DJo_666 Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models 17 03-23-2006 05:40 AM
New 7DBK! jemaholic Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models 14 04-20-2004 12:12 PM
7DBK on the Way! kind_fl Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models 5 08-09-2002 09:53 AM
Need help about 7DBK AvY Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models 10 07-18-2001 08:28 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome