I did a bad, bad thing! - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 02:56 AM Thread Starter

Cool I did a bad, bad thing!

Ok, so, about 3 weeks ago I placed a bid on a JS100 on sleaz**** whilst drinking a few too many beers. Sadly enough my bid, the first and only bid on the guitar, was the winner. Yay me!!, I was saving up for a 1k or 12k. I hate beer and the ease of the internet sometimes!!! Like now!!!

Now, I am stuck with this "pos" Korean made, "cort", JS copy. Luckily, it was equiped with an edge proII, as pictured in the auction, rather than the dreaded Lo-TRS. I am currently unsure if this is really a good thing because the edge proII appears to be a really sloppy trem. I actually thought that the included bar was a joke...., but after a few adjustments it fit a bit better; but still no bar warble(You know that really cool Vai bar warble effect). I may be missing something in the setup of this trem but I am pretty sure that it is not able to be tight enough to produce bar warble. The bar just fits waaaaaay too loosely and has a rubbery feel at both extremes, even when the bar slack set screw is tightened to the maximum!!

The pick-ups and electronics are less than desireable. I would replace the entire network in an instant!!

On the plus side, it is a very beautifull peice of work. The trans red finish over the basswood body is super beautifull and the edge proII bridge is equally impressive, in looks, and adds to the appearance!!

In the end..... It looks nice, has a sh*ty bridge, a sh*ty set of pick-ups and a poorly placed, shimmed, nut; the G string has a very appearant buzz upon being open. It drives me nuts! All fretted notes on the "g" sound great.... but the open "g" twangs awefully!!

My bad!!
Randy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 04:41 AM

Re: I did a bad, bad thing!

Take some plastic bag and insert tremolo bar trough that bag into the hole of tremolo. Maybe You will have to experiment with few different thickness of plastic to find one that suit You, but you will probably warble with ease.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 01:09 PM

id like to see some pics
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peromucho7 View Post
Take some plastic bag and insert tremolo bar trough that bag into the hole of tremolo. Maybe You will have to experiment with few different thickness of plastic to find one that suit You, but you will probably warble with ease.
That way you also make sure that the trembar and the trem don't have babies.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 02:38 PM

If that's his concern he can try putting the trembar in the back hole of the trem.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 11:35 AM

.. and that is why tune-o-matic guitars with stud tailpiece are boring.
(No holes.)
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 11:50 AM

You don't have to keep it. Re-list it, maybe take a minor loss, then buy what you really want. Why keep a guitar you don't like? My $.02 anyway. --Jason
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 12:23 PM

I think the newer JS100s are actually getting better.

I had one of the old ones with a lo-trs before i sold it on.
couldnt get a single useable tone out of it, the trem was crap, the pick-ups muddy and the neck ok at best.

My friend has one of the newer ones with the edge pro II
still not a fan of the trem to be honest, but after we temolo-no'd it it sounds fine and the neck is much nicer than the old one i had. with a bit of compression you can even get a half decent lead tone out of it.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 10:54 AM

Since you got one with an Edge Pro II, a real Edge Pro should drop right in. Some Teflon tape around the threads will help the studs and a pair of DiMarzio's will put you into happy land. I just went thru the same thing and got a JS100 for cheap. I had a chrome Lopro in the drawer so a modded the routing and added locking studs and the LoPro. It played so good, I popped in the same pickups as a JS1200 and a friend borrowed it and fell in love. If it feels good and looks good, you're halfway there. This is before the new pickups
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
Ok, so, about 3 weeks ago I placed a bid on a JS100 on sleaz**** whilst drinking a few too many beers. Sadly enough my bid, the first and only bid on the guitar, was the winner.
I don't know what possessed me, but last week I was a bit bored and put a bid on a JS2000 and as it was quite low really didn't think I'd win it at that bid. But no-one else bid and I ended up winning the auction! Doesn't sound so bad, but I aready have a JS2000! Oh well. Looks like I'll have a JS2000 up in the classifieds soon
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

Talking Re: I did a bad, bad thing!

Heyas everyone,

I have been away from my comp for a while. I want to thank you all for your input. Some of you are hilarious and some of you are very supportive... Lol I loved the perverse bag conversation.

I have done a little bit of work on this axe... Oh and I found a second whammy bar set crew hidden, which is not accessable with the trem system installed, which tightened it up a lot. Not enough... but a lot, and it gets weaker every time I use the bar.

But, the coolest thing is that I had a J-90c, which has very high gain, pick-up hiding in my guitar parts can. After researching this pick-up I found a way to install it into my Korean JS100. OMG!!!! I cannot beleive that I tore this thing outta my Jackson in favor of the emg 81. This pick-up rocks!!! It is splittable and super easy to install. The tones that are now coming out of this JS100 are super crunchy and melodic. It plays anything from Megadeth/Metallica to Eric Johnson/ Satch/Vai....

Although, I do almost miss the AH-2 for it's clean punch. I wrote a diddy using the AH-2 that the J90C just can't match. So, I am going to try placing the AH-2 into the neck position in the hopes of catching this sound once again.

As for the trem.... I really hope you are right about an edge pro being a drop fit into an edge pro II cavity.... I am stoked about this idea. pwease pwease let it be true
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy Re: I did a bad, bad thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurj View Post
I don't know what possessed me, but last week I was a bit bored and put a bid on a JS2000 and as it was quite low really didn't think I'd win it at that bid. But no-one else bid and I ended up winning the auction! Doesn't sound so bad, but I aready have a JS2000! Oh well. Looks like I'll have a JS2000 up in the classifieds soon
Lol, what that site needs is a bidder remorse option. Kinda like an oops i did it again.... Sorry.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
Lol, what that site needs is a bidder remorse option. . . .
The world would end. Or, nobody would be able to buy or sell anything on that site ever.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 06:03 AM

I like the idea of a bidder remorse button. That way I probably wouldn't have bought half of the crap I've got from **** over the years
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 10:49 PM
Banned

Wanna sell it?

Tags
basswood body , eric johnson , locking stud , locking studs , neck position , nut height , string saddle , tremolo bar , truss rod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode