I dont know about you... - but... - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-03-2002, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

I dont know about you... - but...

Im a newbie to this site and seems to me alot of people are trashing the hell out of the js100. hmph..
I kinda dig the guitar. *Granted I had to fix sh*t
out of it but I think it plays pretty well. *Ya know it still has satriani's sig on it. *Even though its cheaply made over the 1000 but it still retails for 700 bucks out by me at guitar center. *700 bucks still aint cheap especially for a laid off bum like me. Just giving my $.02. oh yea I didnt pay 700 :P
Im just now getting back into playing again after a 9 year hiatus ( is that how you spell it?). It was the first guitar I purchased and im pleased with it. *I just didn't have the cash for a js1000. By the way,
what is the diiference between the two? *Im in the process of upgrading it. *I just want to know what to get next.
Sorry if this subject matter has been explained before. Like i said im a newbie plz be gentle while I learn the edicut of this site.
Thanks alot everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-03-2002, 11:49 PM

I dont know about you...

first noticable differences are the pickups Dimarzio Paf Pro in the neck and Dimarzio Fred in the bridge, Then the Floyd Rose is a Lo Pro on the JS1000 the holy grail of trems versus the Lo TRS which has lots of hangups and tuning problems. As far as construction the neck on the JS1000 is digitaly shaped to the exact specifications of one of Joes favorites. And the attention to detail is far superior. That alone makes up the differences, now as far as price here in Cleveland Ohio you can get a JS1000 for 999 only 299 more than what you paid. To get the pickups alone is going to cost you at least 120 bucks. I would have waited a little longer cause there isnt much of a price difference if you go to Guitar Center in North Olmsted Ohio.

Peace hope this helps ya out
Brett
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-03-2002, 11:56 PM
Vendor

I dont know about you...

To turn a 100 into a 1000, you'll need to do a whole lot of upgrading.

Pickups - $150
Push pull pots, then wire it up - $45
Trem - Lo Pro or Edge since it's your choice now. $180
Upgrade the tuners to M500's or whatever make equivalent you want. $60
Pull the frets and reradius the upper registers of the fretboard. *$100?
Refret it and level $100
Now alot more handsanding to the neck to make it feel more worn in. ehh $10
Last thing would be to get rid of that screwball signature plaque! $40

So it'll only cost you about $700 to get it to 1000 spec. The good news is you can actually upgrade a GIO series Ibanez with the leftover 100's parts. :thumbsup:
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-03-2002, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

I dont know about you...

I had no idea that there were that many differences..
I paid 280 bucks 9 months ago for my js100 on ebay cuz guitar center out in olmsted was selling it for 700 at the time. *Maybe I was looking at something else but I could have sworn that they were selling the js1000 at the time for 1600. *Does that sound right? *MAybe I was looking at a diiferent model. *
What kind of pickups do you reccomend? *I believe this will be my next upgrade. Im 15 minutes from north olmsted and I think Ill head there tommorow to pick them up..
Thanks for your help brett!!
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-04-2002, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

I dont know about you...

Dude...The first day I got the guitar I put a piece of black electrical tape over the joe satriani sig plaque since i dont play that far up on the neck yet. How chessy is that!!

Thanx for the great info rich!
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-04-2002, 12:08 AM
Vendor

I dont know about you...

Save yourself all the agravation and don't spend a penny on it. Put it back on ebay, a good day you'll get $350. Then look for a clean 1000 which on a good buying day will only be $700. Get the 1000 and play, or keep the 100 and tinker, your choice.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-04-2002, 12:10 AM

I dont know about you...

I prefer Dimarzio Paf Pro in the neck and Tone Zone in the bridge

but if you want that satch sound Paf Pro neck Fred Bridge

Vai Sound

Early Jems Paf Pro in both positions
Later Jems Evolutions in both positions

Good Luck man and dont get them from GC there overpriced on there Dimarzios unless you got a catalog to show prices, your better off ordering the Dimarzios from Rich.
www.ibanezrules.com

later
Brett
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-04-2002, 12:12 AM
Vendor

I dont know about you...

I just deal guitars, order pickups from www.universaljems.com
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-04-2002, 12:15 AM

I dont know about you...

I always get you and Brian mixed up

sorry Rich lets try this

Buy the pickups from Brian www.universaljems.com

Buy the new JS1000 from Rich there we go now I got it right

Later

Brett
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-04-2002, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

I dont know about you...

Im right there with you Rich..But my wife says.."YOu not getting rid of that guitar cuz we just got that damn thing and you always want something new and expensive and i never get blah blah blah blah."
You need a wife? *

I think it will be easier to upgrade it. *I wish you saw this thing when I got it it. *Im pretty proud of myself getting it back up to par to even play it a gain.
And just think when I upgrade and when my band hits it big (YEA RIGHT!!!) Ill buy me a few ogf them after I trade the wife in. *jk

Thanks guys!!
Dan
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-04-2002, 12:21 AM
Vendor

I dont know about you...

Why wait, trade the wife in now!
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-04-2002, 01:01 AM

I dont know about you...

For what it's worth, the JS100 does have the coil split and filter, doesn't it? I tried out a 100 a couple of years ago, and the AH1 and AH2 pickups impressed me quite a bit with the variety of tones you can get out of them.

I dunno... maybe it's just me. I used to be a total guitar elitist, where i was *very* picky about every tiny little detail of a guitar in order to even feel i could play it.

Nowadays, it seems i can pick up virtually any guitar and plug it into just about anything and get a useable, pleasing tone out of it. I think it's a combination of me developing a very open mind when it comes to sound and feel, and realizing that 90% of my "sound" really does come out of my fingers.

If you like the JS100, and it works for you, play the hell out of it. If it has serious shortcomings (like poor tuning stability) that get in the way of you really being able to take your music to its fullest potential, then look at replacing it. (or at least replacing the parts that cause you grief)
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-04-2002, 01:05 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
I dont know about you...

welcome to the forum...

short and sweet... few here like stock (or even modified) Korean sig model axes. That is the 555 and JS100

My advice is to save yourself aggrivation, sell the JS100 IMMEDIATELY and get a "real" JS ASAP. Enjoy... glen
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-04-2002, 02:12 AM

I dont know about you...

I had a JS100, I hated that damn TRS POS trem. *I could never get it to do what I wanted. *The pickups, I didn't mind, but the neck felt to baseball bat for me. *Oh well, I got a RG7620 and a S540 straight across for it LOL, that was a good day!
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-04-2002, 05:26 AM

I dont know about you...

I think a lot of the ibanez "experts" on this board forget that not everyone has a bottomless bank account (or doesnt mind getting in serious debt), and give the Korean models a bit more stick than they deserve..

the main thing against them (in my eyes) is that for the same money, you could get a non sig ibanez with an edge/lopro.. granted you probably wouldnt get the pickups you get on the top of the range sig models, but some of the Ibanez p/ups can be quite good..

But youve already got it now, so theres not really anything to lose ... if you're not using the trem much, why would you want a better one? if you cant hear the difference between the JS100 pickups and the fred/paf (it would help to play them side by side in a shop), then why would you need better pickups?

just some food for thought

Tags
coil split , coil tap , cosmo black hardware , crystal planet , dimarzio paf , dimarzio paf pro , dimarzio pups , edge trem , floyd rose , heavy metal , ibanez models , joe satriani , kirk hammet , kirk hammett , paf pro , paf pro neck , pro edge , pro neck , sounding guitar , tone zone , van halen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode