I FOUND A UNIVERSE UV7BK - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

I FOUND A UNIVERSE UV7BK

At a guitar center, the location i will not report for obvious reasons, (I WANT IT), I was looking at a wall full of ibanez guitars, and right next to the jem7vwh was the UV7BK with the green fret dots and control covers!
Pricetag: used on sale for $900!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 09:14 PM

The frets are in great shape, and she's got a good case? You should buy it, and send the neck off to LGM for some pyramids

jim
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-24-2003, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

The fretboard is in great condtion, but the fret inlays them selves are a little weird. When you are playing the guitar, you can see through the fret inlay and it looks as if there are green holes in the fret board. But hey, its still the coolist 7-string guitar i can afford. Im not sure if it comes with a case, I hope it does, but im willing to spend a few more bucks, $900 for this guitar is a crazy price. There are some scratches and chips on the body and a farily large chip at the top of the body inbetween the front and back side, its about an 1 inch long and it is chipped down to the wood, but i dont really mind, i may even be able to bargain my way out of a hundred bucks or so. Im going back there today to chech it out, make sure the intination, harmonics, bridge, neck, joints, and everything is peachy, wouldn't want to buy a sour universe!
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-24-2003, 12:53 PM

Dude, for a black and green, unless that thing is MINT with case, $900 is to much. I bought a MINT one with pink lined case on ebay for $800 last year, Ive seen them go for less, in the condition you say this one is, it sounds like a $650 guitar tops. There have been UV's here on Jemsite for far less than 900.

I'd say check on ebay, I've seen the UV777BK's go for $900 on ebay. UV7PWH's go for that sometimes too. That's just to much IMO for a green dot and I love the green dots, I have 3
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-24-2003, 01:30 PM

Gotta side with Jeremy on this one, $900 is steep for something with a big cosmetic flaw like that. GC doesn't price anything at market value. I would guess that they got around $500 in that guitar or less. Even if they sold it to you for $900 they wouldn't include the case unless you press them for it.

Do some research on evilbay and go in there well educated on what the market bears on that guitar, then talk them down due to the big chip in it and get them to kick in the case. I bet you can walk out for around $700 or so. If you have $900 to spend, it is often helpful to buy some other stuff at the same time. That allows them to shift the prices around so that all the items come out ok, it makes it easier to seal the deal...but you need to have your wits about you when you're in there.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-24-2003, 01:44 PM

Ditto the above two posts; if she's all beat up she's not worth anywhere near 900. You CAN get a nearly new 777BK for 900 on eBay, they're there every day. If you have to have it, offer 700 or something if they throw in a new case. Just pop on over to eBay though to see what that 900 buys you first.

jim
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-24-2003, 03:26 PM

don't forget that when you buy from a shop you have the 'try before you buy' factor. You can also take it back to the shop for help with setup, etc. You can also walk out with it the same day you bought it so you don't have to worry about shipment and whether you will get ripped off or not. It is far, far more secure to buy from a shop, which is why they can charge more. It is this that you get when you buy from a shop, and not off Ebay. We all know that shops will charge way over the top for second hand guitars, but you get that assurance that you don't with Ebay guitars.

Having said this, i just bought a UV off ebay (will post when i get it!) and also my DBK, as i cannot afford these damn UK prices.....
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

I tried it out and everything, but they had to ship it cause my mom ordered it over the phone. It will be here tomorrow! It does come with the case and all the tools too for $900. If I saw it on ebay, I probably woundn't buy it, just because i don't trust ebay when it comes to high priced objects, some of my friends lost hundreds of $ on people who had almost perfect ratings. I think this is an alright deal, I just don't trust ordering it from anyone other than a authorized ibanez dealer.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 10:21 PM
Banned

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 10:22 PM
Banned

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 11:47 PM

Awesome. I know some people don't like them because they're not as flashy as other Universes, but they're my fave simply because it's the first seven-string I ever saw.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 04:19 AM

they are one of my fav's too, congrats on getting it, it's a shame you weren't a little more patient though. If you'd posted a WTB ad, I'd have sold you a mint one for $900 with all tools and a UV1000C case

Enjoy it though man, they are awesome guitars
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

OMG. I HATE FREAKIN GUITAR CENTER. SEEMS THEY HAVE MORE THAN 1 OF THESE GUITARS. I picked mine up today and noticed that there was awful buzzing everywhere, there were alot more dents, on the back of the headstock there was someones name there and they wrote some symbol in sharpy! And the back plate was missing, better yet, they wanted to charge me $20 for a new back plate! So i went in there today, noticed that the 1 I wanted was up there on the shelf, I didn't bother to get it, instead I told them to fix the guitar up.
I got home, realized how much of an idiot i had just been, called them up and complained. So tomorrow im picking up the BETTER guitar without having to wait a week for them to fix up the bridge. Damn *******s trying to be sneaky sons of bit**s. Well, im gonna have it all ready in my hands tomorrow morning, so, Im happy, and I hope guitar center will not dissapoint me again!
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satch Boogie
Well, im gonna have it all ready in my hands tomorrow morning, so, Im happy, and I hope guitar center will not dissapoint me again!
If I'm certain of anything I'm certain that eventually if you continue to associate with Guitar Center they will inevitably dissapoint you.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Probably true, but I never buy from gutiar center, I only bought this there because its the only store that I have seen it in! I got the better guitar today. It is probably a 96 model, but ill never know for sure because it has no cerial #!!! No worries tho, its in exelent condion, almost mint, and it plays like a dream.

Tags
fret board , fret inlay , ibanez dealer , ibanez guitars , satch boogie

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode