I got today a new JEM7V WH. But I am a bit worried about it... - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

I got today a new JEM7V WH. But I am a bit worried about it... (now with pictures)

Hi, everybody,

Today I finally got my JEM7V WH. However, there are some things that I am worried about. Please let me know if I am crazy here:

1) The neck and the headstock are one piece of wood. I though the headstock was glued to the neck? Did it changed? Also, the headstock actually has two litle pieces of wood inserts to 'complete' the shape of the Ibanez headstock. I tought it was not a very nice idea. Is it normal?

2) The bridge pickup is not parallel to the strings and the guitar body. It is a bit twisted, slightly further from the strings on the part closest to the bridge. I can move it, but when I release it, it goes back to the twisted position. Is this normal? Can it be 'fixed'?

3) The studs have locks and you need to unlock before you can change the height of the bridge. The guitar came with some allen wrenchs but no one of them fit the place to unlock the studs. Is it normal?

Overall the guitar looks great, I still need to regulate it (set-up) as it did not came with good action, intonation, etc, etc. Which again I may ask, is it normal?? They don't do any set up at Ibanez?

Sorry, I dreamed so much about this guitar, I thought it would be nothing less than perfection. Maybe I expected too much?

Cheers,

Intini

Last edited by intini; 11-15-2007 at 10:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 09:28 PM

Re: I got today a new JEM7V WH. But I am a bit worried about it...

The pieces of on the edges of the headstock are normal.

Could you show us some pictures of the guitar? It would help determine some things

Congrats on the guitar by the way!
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Red face Re: I got today a new JEM7V WH. But I am a bit worried about it...

Forgive my ignorance. But how can I post a picture? Sorry, I am new to the forum and, in fact, have never post a picture in any forum.

Cheers,

Intini
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 09:34 PM

Reviews: 3

Go to photobucket.com and upload the picture there, then copy the .img in you post.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Hi again,

I am very anxious to know about it. I put some pictures in a friend's website. Here is goes the link. Let me know if you can see it, please.

http://yang.square.googlepages.com/ibanez

Last edited by intini; 11-15-2007 at 10:24 PM.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 10:52 PM

Reviews: 6

It's a 5 piece neck. That's why the parts on the side seem out of place. Imagine it was just one big slab of wood, and then they cut through it and that's what came out. Perfectly normal, and one hell of a neck. Necks don't get anymore comfy than they can on a jem. Your pick-up isn't twisted, you need to adjust the height lol.

There are screws on both sides. Use them to bring it up and down. As you bring it up, the spring inside will coil up forcing an up pressure on the pick-up, which should help straighten it. Besides, in my opinion, that bridge pick-up is rather low. I'd bring it up a bit more to get a better tone.

hope this helps
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 10:53 PM

That's the new style of head stock. Perfectly okay. Your pickups have spring in between them and the pickguard, you can fuss about it if you want but what do you expect for a 3,000.00$ production line assembled guitars...
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 10:56 PM

Guitar looks fine dude.

The pickup should still work fine. Someone here should be able to advise on what to do to make it sit flat.

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 11:07 PM

Re: I got today a new JEM7V WH. But I am a bit worried about it... (now with pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by intini View Post
Hi, everybody,

Today I finally got my JEM7V WH. However, there are some things that I am worried about. Please let me know if I am crazy here:

1) The neck and the headstock are one piece of wood. I though the headstock was glued to the neck? Did it changed? Also, the headstock actually has two litle pieces of wood inserts to 'complete' the shape of the Ibanez headstock. I tought it was not a very nice idea. Is it normal?

2) The bridge pickup is not parallel to the strings and the guitar body. It is a bit twisted, slightly further from the strings on the part closest to the bridge. I can move it, but when I release it, it goes back to the twisted position. Is this normal? Can it be 'fixed'?

3) The studs have locks and you need to unlock before you can change the height of the bridge. The guitar came with some allen wrenchs but no one of them fit the place to unlock the studs. Is it normal?

Overall the guitar looks great, I still need to regulate it (set-up) as it did not came with good action, intonation, etc, etc. Which again I may ask, is it normal?? They don't do any set up at Ibanez?

Sorry, I dreamed so much about this guitar, I thought it would be nothing less than perfection. Maybe I expected too much?

Cheers,

Intini
You're fine.

1) That's normal. My Jem 20th is exactly like that as well.

2) I've seen pickups situations like this many times. The bridge pickup seems to angle toward the bridge, and the neck seems to angle toward the neck.

3) Not sure why you don't have the correct allen wrench for the locking studs, but you should easily be able to find one.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 11:10 PM

Is this a legitimate post?

I in no way wish to sound insulting, but given the equipment I see in the background, someone should know more about electric guitars than you appear to.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 11:13 PM

That's an Edge Pro, which doesn't come with locking studs.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton View Post

I in no way wish to sound insulting, but given the equipment I see in the background, someone should know more about electric guitars than you appear to.
I'll second that too! Granted these are all questions someone who researches before purchasing would know.

But in his defense, I'm sure he spent more than two weeks pay on that. Jem or RG or whatever, something over that little 1,000.00$ or XXXX pounds mark, i would tend to expect something of finer quality.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 02:45 AM

The only thing I haven't seen addressed is the set-up. Unfortunately, it's not abnormal to come with a less-than-Rich-Harris set-up. It has everything to do with who you buy it from.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Re: I got today a new JEM7V WH. But I am a bit worried about it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_Jem_FP View Post
I'll second that too! Granted these are all questions someone who researches before purchasing would know.

But in his defense, I'm sure he spent more than two weeks pay on that. Jem or RG or whatever, something over that little 1,000.00$ or XXXX pounds mark, i would tend to expect something of finer quality.

I was deeply sorry to read the posts from Ayrton and Aaron_Jem_FP. I am here asking for help. I had to register before I could post anything, and I introduced myself as well - please read my post there. When I introduced myself I mentioned all my equipment. I can't seem to relate the fact that I have that equipment with knowledge about the JEM I just bought. None of the other guitars I had (or the Yamaha guitar that I have) had/have any of the issues I posted. Honestly, I felt terrible to read your comments. I was so pleased to be here.
I do have a CME keyboard, a Digi002, Mackie HR824 monitors, a LiquidMix, a PodXT-Pro, an ISA430MkII preamp, and a (not great) Behringer rack tuner and other stuff, but how can this help me to know if it is normal for my new JEM to have pickups that seem misaligned or issues with the locking stud bolt or to know if the headstock supposed to belike that? Sorry, I am just a new member, but I really don't think you can conclude that my post is not legitimate only because I have other equipment. I have not had the pleasure to see a JEM live before I got mine, but I love Ibanez so much and I am a big fan of Steve Vai. You can call me crazy to buy a guitar before playing on it. But I had another Ibanez before and loved it so much. If you guys really think my post is not legitimate, you can ask me to post any picture of my guitar from any angle, shape or form, also I can post the receipt with the date of the 15th November. Looks like because I am new and only have a few posts I must be a liar. It felt terrible to read you guys posts, sorry.

To the other guys who helped, thank you so much. To be honest, one of the reasons I decided to post my problems here was because all those things didn't look very nice and I wanted to know if my guitar was a real Ibanez JEM. I am actually happy that at least my issues were normal.

Just a last comment on the bridge, if I may. The manual that comes with the guitar gives instructions to so many types of bridges that I got confused. I thoght that my guitar had a Lo-Pro-Edge, which the manual mentions that has a locking stud. Thankyou, Southpaw_lefty for pointing it out! Now, this was my mistake, obviously.

Lastly, I love Ibanez a lot, I have been been playing guitar on and off for some time. Two years ago I decided to go back and started buying a rig to record my songs. I wasn't very happy with my current guitar and decided to buy a JEM. I am sorry if I am too ignorant and my questions look that bad.

Cheers,

Intini

Last edited by intini; 11-16-2007 at 07:54 PM.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 07:48 PM

Actually I was wondering about your second question as well - the one about the pickups. I mean I know a fair amount about guitars, I have no problems with setting up a floating bridge or the like. But yeah - the bridge pickup on my RG550 is just like that. I mean the guitar sounds fine, I always just kinda wondered why they're not attached a bit more securely (and parallel with the strings). I think that was a fair question. Although - before I buy a guitar, I'd definitely find out what kind of bridge it has. And the headstock thing, I think it's better if the headstock is part of the neck - I'd like to think it's less likely to break off than a glued on headstock. The little bits on the ends? Well, you only see 'em from the back right? Enjoy the sweet axe . . .

Tags
allen wrench , bridge pickup , electric guitar , floyd rose , guitar body , ibanez jem , locking stud , locking studs , neck joint , playing guitar , pro edge , steve vai , yamaha rgx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode