I gotta confess.... - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 12:44 AM Thread Starter

I gotta confess....

In the 25 or so years that I have been playing Ibanez, I can't say I really could tell the difference between the Ibanez branded pickups and the Dimarzios. I just never heard anything that made me say wow to the point where I couldn't live with the factory picups that came in so many of the Ibanez guitars I have owned over the years.

Today, thanks to Craigslist, I came across a 7V. I'd post a pic but post count isn't high enough yet.

The kid that owned it really needed a kick in the nuts for the couple little dings I found and touched up which showed a clear lack of appreciation for what he had. Plus he said his dad bought it for him for Christmas 2 years ago. None the less, I got it for a steal so I can't really complain, just felt bad for the guitar. I am not sure what kind of strings he was running but when I put the D'Addarios on it, I had to re-setup the entire guitar. Spent several hours on it getting it just right (likely minor adjustments tomorrow) and plugged it in.

WOW!

I can actually now see why so many people complain about the factory pickups in so many of the lessor models. Now I am ruined! I'll never be able to go back!

As an added bonus, this guitar feels like my trusty old RG's. I was disappointed with the JS 1200 I bought last year. I had been warned that you either love em' or hate em' but it just didn't "fit".

This Jem feels right at home to me. Some how I don't think I'll be able to pry it out of my son's hands as this is his absolute favorite guitar of all time but it sure is a welcome addition. My prized possession is actually my first real guitar that I bought brand new in 1990 and still own today (760 Series) but this one feels very familiar to me in a great way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jem1.jpg (57.3 KB, 108 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 01:09 AM

Re: I gotta confess....

It wont dissapoint there amazing guitars in both bulid quality and sound, they can take a few bangs and dints trust me
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 01:38 AM

Wow, I've never found the newer Ibanez pickups to be accaptable at all. The guitar pickups are bad and the bass pickups worse. Granted, I've worked as a recording engineer so I'm really sensitive to tone. The only ibz pups I've liked were some of the older 70's and 80's models and the ones on my early 90 RT model (cheap but w/ a certain charm).

Congrats on the axe!
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 08:37 AM

you should wallpaper lol, sweet guitar bro
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Wow, I've never found the newer Ibanez pickups to be accaptable at all. The guitar pickups are bad and the bass pickups worse. Granted, I've worked as a recording engineer so I'm really sensitive to tone. The only ibz pups I've liked were some of the older 70's and 80's models and the ones on my early 90 RT model (cheap but w/ a certain charm).

Congrats on the axe!
I think I just have much lower standards. As long as it's got a nice crunch to it I've been happy but these pickups have a much thicker crunch that was very noticeable to me.

Tags
jem dimarzio

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode