I hate swirl finishes - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
Talking I hate swirl finishes

There I said it

It looks kinda cheap to me. Some say it's unique blah blah, but to me it's just messy. It's also an excellent way to cover any finish mistakes because you can never tell if something is intentional or not. Like modern art. Make a mess and somebody will call it art All other options are better to me: plain wood can be awesome, solid colors can look great, mirror finishes are cool and stained/figured wood is in a league of it's own.

Didn't wanna offend anyone, just expressing my opinion.

Happy holidays!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 11:00 AM

Re: I hate swirl finishes

Ditto that, plus they are just ugly.
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 11:21 AM

I would beg to differ in some instances. Like, for one, plain blue or baby blue on ANY guitar is just plain nasty....unless it's a blue or baby blue swirl....That looks sweet....
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q...s/DSCF1969.jpg

I'm not a fan of purple either....but this one would have me owning a purple (swirled) guitar.
http://www.guitar-museum.com/uploads...03670565-1.jpg

And of course...You can't go wrong with a Uni swirled...especially this one (I think).
http://www.ibanezrules.com/namm/images/2010/003.JPG

To each his own I guess....I'm not a huge fan of swirls mind you. But correctly done they can be great.
post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 12:08 PM

What I hate the most about the swirls is the price/limited production. It's simplistic, but comparing prices UV77REMC to a UV777BK, it's a paint job with a huge premium. I understand there's a Suggi factor for the REMC necks, but still. Basically, an extra $4700 (list) for the swirl and the nicer Suggi neck.
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Different strokes for different folks. I don't think you'll be offending anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bancika View Post
stained/figured wood is in a league of it's own.
I've never really thought the stained figured wood looked anything other than like furniture. I've always seen it as a sort of crutch that folks can use when they're too old to get away with cool crazy finishes. YMM, of course, V.

Last edited by jono; 12-30-2010 at 01:55 PM.
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2

yeah, with figured tops there is a risk of it looking like a piece of furniture, like below. I though more about modern stained finishes, like j-customs or BFR musicmans.
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bancika View Post
There I said it
You're not the only one. I like some of the reddish DNA's though.
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 02:34 PM

If cash isn't a problem, Im sure almost everyone would still buy swirls because they are different then any other finish. Just show it off to your friends and watch their mouths drop.
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 02:45 PM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: I hate swirl finishes

The original MC swirl is in a league all it's own!

The PMC was a swirl I thought was neat because I like purple...

The DNA was an interesting one, with a nice inlay...

Out Of This Swirled swirls are as good as they get, because they actually made it an art form!

Having said all this I'm not a big fan of swirls either, I have to have color and vines!
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 03:03 PM

Reviews: 21

How to win friends and influence people on Jemsite.
Seriously, though, I remember drooling over the UVMC when it came out but now I'm not a huge fan these days. Loud solid colors on the other hand...
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
I've never really thought the stained figured wood looked anything other than like furniture. I've always seen it as a sort of crutch that folks can use when they're too old to get away with cool crazy finishes. YMM, of course, V.
And the older I get, the more I understand it. There's a school of thought that if you're buying something made of wood...well...let's see the wood and put as little finish as possible between you and the wood.

It's all part and parcel of the vintage guitar craze, and it does lead to some pretty stupid stereotypes about "pointy" guitars, but there is some wisdom in it depending on what you're playing on the guitar.

Swirls are interesting in this regard because they are so popular as a DIY finish. There are guys who obsess over having the thinnest finish possible, preferably nitro, and when I see that I think "you know, I bet that other guy who's swirling basswood bodies in his garage probably has no idea about all that or couldn't care less". The differences are on opposing ends of such a wide spectrum, it's unreal.

Last edited by RedTiger; 12-30-2010 at 03:09 PM.
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTiger View Post
And the older I get, the more I understand it. There's a school of thought that if you're buying something made of wood...well...let's see the wood and put as little finish as possible between you and the wood.

It's all part and parcel of the vintage guitar craze, and it does lead to some pretty stupid stereotypes about "pointy" guitars, but there is some wisdom in it depending on what you're playing on the guitar.
I get the wood part, I'm a big fan of natural finish woods, especially things like the original Washburn N4s, but I'm not too keen on some of the AAAAA tops and triple stained finishes. As you said, if you're going to see the wood, let's see the wood
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTiger View Post
Swirls are interesting in this regard because they are so popular as a DIY finish. There are guys who obsess over having the thinnest finish possible, preferably nitro, and when I see that I think "you know, I bet that other guy who's swirling basswood bodies in his garage probably has no idea about all that or couldn't care less". The differences are on opposing ends of such a wide spectrum, it's unreal.
Plus we should remember that even Ron Thorn has used swirls in the past, so it's not like even bespoke-tonehound type luthiers are completely against them
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 03:34 PM

The real question is why you felt a need to create a thread about this?
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 03:43 PM

Reviews: 18

Some swirls are really nice, but others are ugly. I like good swirls.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode