I have the coolest JS100 ever! - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

I have the coolest JS100 ever!

OK, well maybe not the coolest ever, but you have to admit that it looks damned good! Custom spray job obviously. Some people donít believe itís 3 pix of the same guitar!

Hereís the thing. I havenít really played it in over a year. Why? Because I donít like either the trem or the neck. I got the guitar out again yesterday, and toyed around with the setup for an hour or so and the bottom line is that I need to either upgrade it or flog it, as I just canít get enough into the feel of it to want to play it instead of all my other guitars.

I upgraded to Paf pro and Fred pups, but I really hate the feel of the trem. It doesnít react the way I like and itís not too hot on tuning stability either. Looks like the Gotoh or Schaller Floyd would drop in so I might go for one of them Ė but they ainít cheap!

The neck is more of an issue. Itís was a brand new guitar when I bought it, and the neck just feels too stiff and unplayed. Normally I only ever buy secondhand gear as I like a guitar to feel well worn in, and I just canít bond with this neck!

So what should I do Ė upgrade or just flog it and get something I like to play? What can I do about the neck?

Last edited by haze; 06-18-2009 at 08:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 08:52 AM

Re: I have the coolest JS100 ever!

Did you do that spray job yourself? And if so, where did you get the paint?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 09:32 AM

dupont chromalusion?
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

No, I didn't do it myself - If I had I'd have gone for a top of the range JS!

The guy who used to run my local guitar shop had a friend who sprays cars for a living. Someone ordered in a load of that paint for a car and there was a bit spare.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 11:00 AM

Nice job

What about mine ?

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 11:51 AM

Reviews: 13

Reminds me the Ernie Ball Music Man JP (John Petrucci model), Mystic Dream color.
This is the JP7 (seven strings):

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 12:08 PM

Reviews: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themis View Post
Nice job

What about mine ?

Yours doesn't qualify as cool.

Jimmy
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 12:09 PM

Reviews: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by haze View Post
OK, well maybe not the coolest ever, but you have to admit that it looks damned good! Custom spray job obviously. Some people donít believe itís 3 pix of the same guitar!

Hereís the thing. I havenít really played it in over a year. Why? Because I donít like either the trem or the neck. I got the guitar out again yesterday, and toyed around with the setup for an hour or so and the bottom line is that I need to either upgrade it or flog it, as I just canít get enough into the feel of it to want to play it instead of all my other guitars.

I upgraded to Paf pro and Fred pups, but I really hate the feel of the trem. It doesnít react the way I like and itís not too hot on tuning stability either. Looks like the Gotoh or Schaller Floyd would drop in so I might go for one of them Ė but they ainít cheap!

The neck is more of an issue. Itís was a brand new guitar when I bought it, and the neck just feels too stiff and unplayed. Normally I only ever buy secondhand gear as I like a guitar to feel well worn in, and I just canít bond with this neck!

So what should I do Ė upgrade or just flog it and get something I like to play? What can I do about the neck?

Sell it. 500 bucks ought to do it.

Jimmy
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 12:13 PM

Reviews: 4
Cool Re: I have the coolest JS100 ever!

I am also in the same situation as you are. I have the guitar in the pics below. i switched the pickups, and the trem as well with an Original Floyd Rose. I solved the dilemma by ordering a new custom made neck from Monster Guitar Shop. Unfortunately I can't tell you how it turned out yet because I am still waiting on the neck. I SHOULD have it sometime in the next few weeks though. It did cost a pretty penny, but I think in the long run its worth it. My paint job is rather unique, and so is your so I say go for it.

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh287/VnMJack/3.jpg

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh287/VnMJack/8.jpg

Last edited by dccomputersa; 06-18-2009 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Screwed the pics
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 12:27 PM

It all boils down to how much you put into it, how much can you get for it and use the money towards something better, and how attached are you to it (not much in this case...)

im sure a new 100, + a good trem, + two good pups, + a custom made neck, + a custom paintjob adds up to a lot more than a nice used 1000...
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marianozz View Post
It all boils down to how much you put into it, how much can you get for it and use the money towards something better, and how attached are you to it (not much in this case...)

im sure a new 100, + a good trem, + two good pups, + a custom made neck, + a custom paintjob adds up to a lot more than a nice used 1000...

Would this guitar truly be considered new?

In my opinion I don't think a modified JS-100 will ever fetch a price greater than a used (good shape) JS-1000.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moebius View Post
Would this guitar truly be considered new?

In my opinion I don't think a modified JS-100 will ever fetch a price greater than a used (good shape) JS-1000.

No, certainly not now... What i meant is, get rid of it before spending even more money on it...

Put back the original pickups, sell the dimarzios, take a smaller loss than selling it as it is and save towards an overall better guitar. Itll be cheaper in the long run...
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 01:41 PM

Ah I see. I misunderstood. You were talking about cost not resale value.
I concur.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 03:20 PM

Very nice paint job, a recent patient at the clinic where i work is having a custom harley painted with that stuff. IMHO I would hang on to it, but it is hard to keep a guitar you don't like to play.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 04:07 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input everyone. I've had a couple of days to think about it and I think that maybe I'll just get rid of it and go for something I love to play. The neck is the big thing for me, and I think that it will be too hard to get a replacement.

Tags
js100 upgrade cool colour

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode