I Have A Dilemma - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

I Have A Dilemma

I'm stuck on what to do here so looking for some suggestions.. for a while now i've been wanting a 555.. (cant really afford the higher models) problem is i will need to sell my RG350DX which tbh honest i love, this guitar is just super comfy for me, the neck feels awesome and its just one of those guitars that when i pick it up it feels .. """" Right """, if i was to be honest with myself its the look of the 555 that i would be running after.. having said that the looks of the 350 is the only part of the guitar that i could pass up on, the shark tooth inlays bug me for some reason lol.. anyway .. my question is... what would you do.. cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 02:33 PM

Reviews: 11
Re: I Have A Dilemma

Id buy a used rg550 isntead of the 555. That 555 is almost the same thing as the rg350, just a few cosmetic tweaks. If having that handle is THAT important to you, buy a jem body and throw your gear into it.

Barring that, Id say keep the 350. Im with, sharkies suck imo, but if it feels right, then it feels right
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 02:34 PM

i know what u mean - ive got a RG450DX, and its got the Wizard II neck, lo-trs trem, and infinity pickups, and yet i love it to bits. im just so used to playing it.

i suspect, however, that the 2guitars ive got sat in my room on base that im just itching to get back to, which have both got original wizard necks, and and edge and lo-pro edge respectively, ill soon become very comfortable on those.

i suspect that given the guitars arent exactly worlds apart, and if you want the 555 and can afford it, then its certainally the superior of the two.

i say.......DO IT!!!
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 02:52 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
Id buy a used rg550 isntead of the 555. That 555 is almost the same thing as the rg350, just a few cosmetic tweaks. If having that handle is THAT important to you, buy a jem body and throw your gear into it.

Barring that, Id say keep the 350. Im with, sharkies suck imo, but if it feels right, then it feels right
Exactly!

post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 03:09 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Lord I read "I have a(n) ENEMA!"

post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Funny thing is while im typing this i'm looking at my RG and its definetly a cosmetics thing that im crying about.. after having looked at so many pics of the 555 the RG is kinda bare looking in comparison.. not as flash looking for a better choice of words... where it looks bare is where the monkey grip would be, it just makes it look very bland looking ... that area should be filled in with something.. i'm probably just being picky but it's always something that keeps coming back to mind. Hmmmmm what to do what to do lol.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Btw .. which parts from a stock 350 do not fit a Jem body
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 04:07 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agenthoover View Post
Funny thing is while im typing this i'm looking at my RG and its definetly a cosmetics thing that im crying about.. after having looked at so many pics of the 555 the RG is kinda bare looking in comparison.. not as flash looking for a better choice of words... where it looks bare is where the monkey grip would be, it just makes it look very bland looking ... that area should be filled in with something.. i'm probably just being picky but it's always something that keeps coming back to mind. Hmmmmm what to do what to do lol.
So, you buy guitars based on looks and not how it plays and sounds? The old 500 and 700 series will toast any Jem 555. But, if you have to have a Jem--go get it. Once you do.....we'll be seeing you post in the Edge III trem thread in the mods and tech section.

Edit--you can always cut out a monkey grip in any guitar you decide on...

post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
So, you buy guitars based on looks and not how it plays and sounds?
No not at all... i buy guitars based on comfort.. but in the same breath i aint gonna go and buy an ugly mug if i can help it.. yes sound matters but can easily be changed if need be.. if i had to trade looks for sound then i would go for the looks.. afterall changing pickups is far easier task than changing bodys.. changing necks.. repainting and so on.. its probably cheaper too,
With regards to the trem.. i dont use em, it just so happens that after many many years of trying different guitars its a one with a trem that suits me down to the ground comfort wise... thats the main reason i bought the RG.. comfort.. and secondly it was in my price range at that particular time, we all like to have things that look good.. dont you think.

Last edited by Agenthoover; 08-22-2011 at 05:04 PM.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 04:41 PM

I personally wouldn't get rid of an RG350 to get a 555. I'd save up my money and hold out for a real Jem.
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 06:09 PM

Reviews: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post

This. You do NOT want a 555, unless you can get one for under $250.

If you want something better, go for an older MIJ RG.

MIJ or none, the only exclusion is artcores and premiums.

Period.
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 07:22 PM

My advice? Keep what you've got and wait until you have scraped the money together for a proper top line Jem. The longer the wait, the sweeter the taste.

I only own 3 top end guitars that I've bought over 20 years. A les Paul Standard, a Jem 7VWh and most recently my Tribal Custom Jem. That's it. I'll tell you one thing..... they're worth the wait, and I waited a long time to get all of them whilst beg, borrowing and a teensy bit of stealing (not really LOL)

I've always said to myself "If you're going to own something you desire, make sure it's the best one you can get" or better still "if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys"

(the older I get, the faster the acquisitions though..... I'm gassing for a 7 String UVMC clone now and I don't think I'll wait too long for it compared to my other guitars)
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 08:32 PM

I would imagine you'd have to get the 555 through mail order, or do you know someone who has one for sale? I would say don't let go of a guitar you love unless you actually get to play a 555. I don't care for shark's tooth inlays either, but then I saw the original Jaws movie on the big screen when it was first released, so I guess that's understandable. x.X
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 09:02 PM

keep options open! I had a 350dx as main guitar for a few years but once I went to a RG2550 and JEM the 350 felt extremely clunky, I think you should focus on improving on playablity of a guitar instead of "flashy features" like the 555 (which isn't that "flashy" in the end anyway). save your money and buy a nicer RG at some point. And to be honest, the JEM factor is not worth it, if you really have to save for it, thats where you'd rather go for a nice RG Prestige or so...
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 11:23 PM

Jems aint worth it to me any more. These golden era RG's are just as good.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode