I have to know.... - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

I have to know....

There are 2 15th Anniv. FPs for sale here with asking prices of $2,400 and $2,500, are these really worth that much? If people are really paying that much for one of these, I'm going to kick myself very hard for not buying one when I had the chance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 06:26 PM

Reviews: 5
Re: I have to know....

The old saw about these sort of questions is simply:

They are worth that much money if the seller can convince some poor dolt to pay for it. A guitar's value is largely determined by previous sales. If these sellers can convince some ill-informed buyer to pay the price, some other guy may come along and think "wow, if 15th anniversary FPs are going for that much, I better put mine on e-bay with a BIN of $2800 and see if it works."

So long story short, they're only worth what we're willing to pay for them.

Now- do they play any better than any other FP? Hell no.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

I understand that part of it, but I guess what I'm wondering is are people really willing to pay that much for one. Obviously with the Jem fans here, some of you would know better than I would what market value is on them.
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 06:30 PM
Dee

All depends which country you're in. Obviously you're in the US. $2400 here (UK) = £1300 = very much worth it. USA folks tend to pay a lot less than we do, though.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 06:36 PM

A brand new VWH or BRMR are both selling for well over 2k these days. I don't see why an NOS 15th can't demand the same respect.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris777
A brand new VWH or BRMR are both selling for well over 2k these days. I don't see why an NOS 15th can't demand the same respect.

The VWH are $2,099.99 from most retailers now. In some of my older musicians*friend catalogs('02-'03ish), they had them for as low as $1,600 and change.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 06:45 PM

Reviews: 5

It's all about relative worth. Why should anyone pay nearly $3,000 for a guitar that cost half of that when brand new? It's certainly not vintage or antiqued. It's just a slightly out of date version of a hair-metal era guitar.

Now, the people hoping you'll buy these $2,500 JEMs will tell you it's a collectible. That's a farce for the simple truth that guitars generally make very very poor investments. What if you had bought up a bunch of JEM90HAMs as investments? You'd be pretty pissed because they sell at or below what they cost originally. For every 1954 Les Paul that goes for $125,000, there's a mint JEM7VBK selling for less than the cost of a JEM7VWH.

Finally, there's nothing special about those FPs at all. If Ibanez had come through for us and made it unique- with an AANJ and Green MOP vine for instance- then you'd have a case for the guitar being a rarity. But all a 15th anniversary JEM constitutes is one more example of a very very very long-running 80s model Ibanez.

If some idiot wants to pay $3,000 for a very average Ibanez JEM, then that's what it's worth to him
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Ok, I think that kind of answered my question.
I know everybody thinks what they have is priceless, but the part taht didn't make sense to me was that you can get an excellent condition original FP for under $2000, and big deal there is no ink stain from Vai on it, so if you could get an original for one price why would anyone pay more for a reissue, especially one that's only a couple years old.
I know that if I don't start none, there won't be none, and I'm not trying to start anything with those member that have these guitars for sale. The prices just seemed rediculous to me and I was wondering if I was missing something.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 07:19 PM

Since ibanezcollector snagged one in phenomenal shape for 700-something a few days ago, I think that speaks for itself. It's okay to GAS for something, but shop smart!
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Well, $700 is probably one of those "deal of a lifetime" things. I know there's a market out there but it can't be that dry.
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid
Well, $700 is probably one of those "deal of a lifetime" things. I know there's a market out there but it can't be that dry.

true true..

I could easily sell this right now for $1500

a 89' FP sold today on evilbay for $1400+
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 08:13 PM
dex

Two factors bumped up the price of these FPs in the eyes of the owners.
The first one is the rediculously low level of the dollar on the world markets, I'd LOVE to pay $2,500 (£1,350) for a minty mint FP because even the best prices here were £1,600 and VWH retail at £1,500 ($2,780) new in shops.
The second is because the FP was not available in the US for a few years they sold you this "15th Year anniversary" rubbish and you bought it.
The fact is these were not selling at all and Ibanez decided to get rid of their remaining stock in one swift move.
I still see '03 FP hanging on walls in guitar shops here going at £1,699 and not selling so that's all it is.

Bottom line - if someone wants it it'll sell but I seriously doubt these will sell here on jemsite. We're too smart you see.

ilia
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 08:43 PM

The drum world is *so* much less hyped than the guitar world! Everything
is out in the open -- shell construction, finish, lugs, hoops. There are
a handful of quality name-brand makers (Pearl, Tama, DW, Mapex, Yamaha,
Sonor). Its easy to tell quality hardware from sh*t, and even though
cymbals have their share of hype, you can get great sounding used and
new Zildjians, Sabians and Istanbuls for cheap. Guitars, on the other
hand, seem to be shrouded in mystery. Why does a Jem, or a Gibson
LP std, sell for so much more than a RG1550 or Epiphone LP? I,
for one, would love to see someone quote me the specs: here's the
difference in pups, fretwork, tuners, trem, finish, choice of woods, other
electronics, etc...
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 08:55 PM

Elcid, you should have bought one two years ago. Since I joined this forum in Fed 2005, I have noticed a very STEADY increase in asking (and selling) prices for all Jems.

Well, except for I.C.'s freak of nature deal. That had to have been destiny
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

I'm not a luthier, but I do love me some Les Paul.
My best guesses as to the price difference there would first off be American Labor, being that I'm a Union worker, that does mean alot to me, and is worth the a little more money. The materials in a Gibson V an Epi is another big difference, the only thing a Gibson and an Epi have in common is the shape. As for the Difference between an RG1550 and an LP, again you have the American labor, the Nitro laquer on an LP and all the work that goes into properly finishing it, you also have a flame maple top on an LP, a carved top, binding, inlays that aren't just dots and of course (I have to admit) the Gibson name and history does add to the price.

Also everytime I have dealt with Gibsons Customer Service they have been top notch, unfortunately I can not say that about the few times I dealt with Ibanez Customer service.

Last edited by elcid; 07-26-2006 at 09:04 PM.

Tags
flame maple , guitar shop , ibanez jem , les paul , locking stud , locking studs , monkey grip , neck joint

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode