I just broke my trem! - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

I just broke my trem!

I've had a little search around and can't find any relavent topics on the subject, If I'm wrong, Feel free to lock this and point me in the right direction!

Right, My Jem 77FP is a 1989 model and still has the original Edge trem and locking nut... I just took the trem arm out and the threaded insert has snapped and now the arm won't go in! I've see this coming as the trem has had a lot of use and has a few other niggling problems and no matter how good it is it won't last forever so I need a replacement. need to find where I can get a new Edge trem in cosmo black with a locking nut in the U.K and roughly how much it will be.

I'd rather have a Lo-Pro but I think I've seen somewhere that Lo-Pro's won't fit where normal Edge trems have been...Is this true?
Cheerz

J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 02:18 PM
Vendor

You just need a new arm holder, in stock if you want to drop me an email
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 02:32 PM

if u want a new trem go to machinehead.com and then give em a call they will have one
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 02:32 PM

rich man u ow me a trem holder.

drop me a mail
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 03:04 PM
Vendor

Slipped my mind! [written in the last book and I'm currently working out of another] Consider it in the mail!
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 04:16 PM

i know a guy who brutalized his trs so hard that the bar broke in the trem hole
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam669
that's quite frightening!
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 11:14 PM

Quote:
That is just plain stupid, and obviously the person is playing without any respect for the intrument in his hands. Getting into the music and playing hard is one thing, but being a retard and jerking the bar so hard it breaks off is idiotic.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 11:26 PM
Banned

Hmmm....I've broken the arm right off while inserted in the trem hole of my B.C. Rich more than once. I wouldn't attribute it to being "stupid" or "idiotic", however.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agquake
Hmmm....I've broken the arm right off while inserted in the trem hole of my B.C. Rich more than once. I wouldn't attribute it to being "stupid" or "idiotic", however.
i know trem bars are a bit brittle, but how did that happen?!? and more than once!?
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 11:38 PM
Banned

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 11:48 PM

When the jems first came out, the trem bushings were farther apart than they are now, and those things used to break off inside the trem all the time. Moving the bushings closer together fixed the problem, but the arms just didn't feel as stable to me when they first came out.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agquake
Yeah me too...I broke the trem arm on an old Charvel. I wasn't really doing anything that brutal it just snapped.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yojimbo
Quote:
That is just plain stupid, and obviously the person is playing without any respect for the intrument in his hands. Getting into the music and playing hard is one thing, but being a retard and jerking the bar so hard it breaks off is idiotic.
That guy is a huge vai fan. He loves to lift his guitar with the bar, just like steve. I was there when the bar broke: he was doing some heavy bar shake with the bar pointing outside the body (180į you know) and then lifted the guitar with the bar still the same way. We all heard a little "crock" as the jem555 fell on his chest. Intense moment!
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 05:22 AM
dex

I've broken a couple of bars in my time.
It's a lot easyer than you think.

Oh yeah and I know no one has said it yet but if you really want a Lo-Pro Edge - it would fit like a glove.
No extra routing/filing required.
The lions claw would look a bit redundant with it as there would be no machine screws sticking out there, but otherwise it fits straight in.

ilia

Tags
arm holder , dimebag darrell , eddie van halen , edge trem , edge trems , locking nut , pro edge , steve vai , trem arm , van halen , vintage trem , yngwie malmsteen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode