I just couldn't do it. (77FP content, and roll call) - Page 2 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-26-2020, 11:24 AM

Re: I just couldn't do it. (77FP content, and roll call)

Quote:
Originally Posted by punchingboy View Post
Jemboyee, yours has a lot of black, and the dark green flowers look nice. I also like the look of just the two pink humbuckers. It looks a little less cluttered. They might have looked a bit nicer if Ibanez made them without the middle pickup. But then it wouldn't be a Jem I suppose.
Iíve actually been trying to get a pink cover for the middle pickup from Seymour Duncan, but have had zero luck thus far
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-26-2020, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Great pictures guys, thanks for posting!
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-26-2020, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

This thread is amazing!!! Love it, guys. Keep the photos coming
post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-28-2020, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ777 View Post
This is mine. '89 too. Bought it used in nearly mint condition. Love it so much. The PAFs are so much fun!
This is a GORGEOUS sample!

If all goes right, Iíll post mine tomorrow 🤘😬🤘
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-29-2020, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
This is a GORGEOUS sample!

If all goes right, Iíll post mine tomorrow 🤘😬🤘
I'm looking forward to getting a full report on it!
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-29-2020, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

For those of you that don't know, which I imagine is all of you, Mr. Clean and I met (virtually speaking) on Reverb, he was one of the ones watching my ad for my JEM 77FP.

He ended up with the only other one for sale at the time, so I'm anxious to see how he likes it!
post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-29-2020, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksunshine View Post
For those of you that don't know, which I imagine is all of you, Mr. Clean and I met (virtually speaking) on Reverb, he was one of the ones watching my ad for my JEM 77FP.

He ended up with the only other one for sale at the time, so I'm anxious to see how he likes it!
Oh lord! So Iím anxiously waiting for the fedex person ALL DAY TODAY. I even passed heron my way home and thought ďSweet! Itís going to be there eh. I get home!Ē Nope...So she shows up a while later, hands me the box and thereís a big hole in it. She gives me her contact info in case anything is wrong.

So I open it up, it didnít come with the OG hard case, just a gig bag. And the guitar is packed outside of the gig bag! Half the bubble wrap has fallen off!!! And the setup is completely fubar. I cut all the strings off, clean the neck (I should have scrubbed it. More on that below) replace with nyxl120s, fight the trem angle and FINALLY itís set.

Plug it in, HOLY HELL. The tone, the feel, itís just amazing. I feel like Iíve said ďIíve owned a lot of Jems and this is the bestĒ but literally this is the best Jen Iíve owned. The neck is perfect, the tone is, itís just out of this world.

The seller has agreed to work with me on a small refund which is cool as thereís some things that arenít right so thatís great. Other than that, sheís found her forever home, dings, chips, and all. Iíll sell my j custom if I need money!
post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-29-2020, 10:22 PM

Pics!!!!! I need to upload one to my site so it’s good...

Blacksunshine, thank you! I appreciate the conversation and help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 76D0FE80-57BF-45CB-A479-2503959AB30F.jpeg (167.4 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpeg CA8D4F8F-6DFC-4E2B-A3CF-12D00DA31247.jpeg (117.9 KB, 22 views)
neubywankaneuby and pteropid like this.
post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-30-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
Plug it in, HOLY HELL. The tone, the feel, it’s just amazing. I feel like I’ve said “I’ve owned a lot of Jems and this is the best” but literally this is the best Jen I’ve owned. The neck is perfect, the tone is, it’s just out of this world.

Other than that, she’s found her forever home, dings, chips, and all.!
Sounds awesome. I’ll be sure to look for it in the Classifieds next month.
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-30-2020, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemboyee View Post
Sounds awesome. Iíll be sure to look for it in the Classifieds next month.
There is some truth to that, since I've sold every Jem I've owned!

post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-30-2020, 12:16 PM

Looks absolutely stunning! I love the floral print Jems and someday hope to get a chance to play one, just to see what the necks feel like. Congrats, enjoy it!!
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-30-2020, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
Looks absolutely stunning! I love the floral print Jems and someday hope to get a chance to play one, just to see what the necks feel like. Congrats, enjoy it!!
Thanks! The neck is different for sure but it's probably all me. After the neck cleaning and new strings I had to pull it apart again as my fingers were turning lack from the build up. Some blue scotch bright and more elbow grease and it's WAY better. Pulled the trem out to chapstick the studs and everything looks good. It's got bumps and bruises for sure but there's surprisingly little fret wear. Tuning stability is really good too. The neck width, feels thinner, the thickness feels fatter if that makes sense. Judging by feel only! The maple looks roasted due to the age.
FireEagle likes this.
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-30-2020, 03:58 PM

Looks great. Congratulations!
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-03-2020, 02:35 AM

Cool Re: I just couldn't do it. (77FP content, and roll call)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksunshine View Post
I searched for a long time for my 77FP. A couple slipped through my fingers, I either didn't act quickly enough or at the time I thought the price was too high. I finally found one a few years ago, and probably overpaid at the time, but I didn't care.

Fast forward to yesterday, I listed it on Reverb but after thinking about it for a few hours, I ended the ad. It just didn't seem right.

I'm thinking this is sticking with me for a long time.

It's crazy, I'm only seeing one for sale on the entire planet, lol.

I guess people are sitting on these. How about you? I know we have a bunch of owners here, how about an informal roll call!

Mine is an '89, with original case.
I tried to start a similar thread so I will just cross-post my effort post about it:

Quote:
I'll do my part in the hopes that others will post pictures, too. (I'm sure there are lots of pictures, so post links to other threads I've missed please.)

I want to make a thread for each of my Ibanezes, but I will probably just consolidate them all here to avoid spamming six-seven threads all over. Seems simpler that way but if the forum rules say no non-JEMs in the JEM forum I can live with that. Let me know, I don't want to be a pain. I just want to post pictures! So here goes.

The story:
I love Steve Vai as much as anyone, but to be honest I am more a fan of these instruments than his music. My favorite Vai stuff is, in no particular order, his work with David Lee Roth, Flex-able, Passion & Warfare (esp. Blue Powder, the Carvin demo), and Alien Love Secrets. I also love his role in Crossroads. I've never met him or seen him live, but hopefully I will get to someday. My biggest influences that you would hear in my music are EVH, Satch, Robben Ford, and Paul Gilbert, and SRV but I don't try to play blues.

I once walked into a music store and saw a brand new Loch-ness green JEM777 displayed under a glass counter-top and just about lost my mind. It was something like $1,699.oo and I had never considered a guitar could cost that much money. Then the Ibanez catalog came out and I saw these... things. These beautiful, perfect works of art. And the Fender and Gibson guys couldn't stand them. "What's that hole for?" I told them I hang my penis through it at gigs. If they couldn't figure it out, I wasn't inclined to humor them.

Vai started showing up in all the guitar mags because Skyscraper was coming out and he was doing press for that album, his last album with DLR. In those interviews he was pictured with a JEM77FP all over and that was the one that really hit me hard. Satch, previously, had been pictured with his home-built guitars that he had scribbled and painted on, and I had loved those. The Floral Print was like the perfect encapsulation of that sort of whimsical approach, but executed in this flawless Hoshino Japan way. When I met this instrument at that same music store and saw that it was fabric under the clear-coat, I started that Wayne's World "O yes, I will have her" thought process; but i never really believed it would happen.

But it did! It sat in a music store for a year before I made an offer, and they accepted. The time was 1989, and the guitar had first arrived in '88 with a $1,500 price tag (those were 1988 dollars!) The thing is, it appealed to an audience that didn't have that kind of money, so it sat and sat and the price came down and down. Someone put a ding in the top. I didn't care one bit. I graduated High School that year, and I got a job building IBM PS2 computers for $6.27/hr, 40 hours a week that summer. I walked in and put it on layaway with just $80 and a promise to pay $999.99 in three months. My parents knew I wanted to do this and they didn't approve. When pressed by my mother about how my trip to the music store had gone (you see, she already had one guitar addict in the house in my dad and didn't need another) I lied about it. I said, "When I left it was 'already' laid away" and being the "smart" 17 y.o. I was, I didn't tell her it was laid away by me. Not proud of it today, but what can ya do about it now? Just two weeks shy of three months later I walked in and paid it off, took her home, and opened the case at my Dad's feet as he sat in his recliner in his big entertainment room. I was so proud! He said, "Son, that guitar is hideous." I was over the moon.

I proceeded to play myself right out of college because I couldn't put her down. Talk about being spoiled by a guitar. Everywhere I took her people couldn't believe they were seeing it. The dorms at my school did not have a/c so she spent a couple years in the humidity and heat, with the dorm room windows open. The screws rusted. The cosmo black plating bubbled and wore off. I bought two more Edge trems and shared them between my JEM and my RG770DX. I often removed all the screws, buffed the rust off, and spray-painted them black again. Some of those screw holes need to be refilled and redrilled but, meh.

The first aftermarket pickup I put in it was a black FRED that my buddy lent to me. I liked it enough that I ordered one in hot pink and it's still in there today. Eventually I replaced the tone pot with a push-pull pot to get series/parallel wiring out of the FRED, but unlike my other humbuckers, the FRED doesn't sound all the different in parallel.

After owning it a couple of years I messed up the frets and paid a luthier to perform a complete re-fret (this "only" cost about $250 back then). Since then, I moved on to other guitars as my main players, so she's still very level and plays like a dream. Eventually I got tired of the PAF Pro in the neck and put a Humbucker-From-Hell in there and I like it a lot. That's why you get three different shades of hot-pink on one guitar. You can tell the age by what is the most faded.

She was loved but never pampered. The only reason you can't see all the exposed wood around the body is I painted it in with a Sharpie pen. Scratches, dings, and dents are everywhere. I wouldn't change it, though. I didn't buy her to preserve her. I bought her to play. I do wish I had a spare case-queen sitting back but that was never in the cards for me. Still, I love this guitar with all my heart and I am very happy to be the original owner. I'd never part with this instrument for any reason.

I don't really get how image hosting works here, so I'm mangling my posts trying to fix it. Sorry.
I'm REALLY loving the 77FP pics in this thread. There's just something about this guitar. It's my first real guitar love. I have some pics but I am never sure about the best way to post them on this forum. If I screw it up I'll fix it, I promise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JEM77FP Blues Jr. 1.jpg (1.30 MB, 33 views)
jono and neubywankaneuby like this.
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-03-2020, 02:41 AM

Red face Re: I just couldn't do it. (77FP content, and roll call)

Sorry I just haven't figured out the best way to post images here. My God I love these instruments. (It's the same guitar, just after a good cleaning and shot in sunlight.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JEM1.jpg (1.33 MB, 34 views)
jono and neubywankaneuby like this.

Tags
77fp , floral

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode