I live in JEM hell. - Actually, it's Ibanez hell, and my ban - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-05-2001, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

I live in JEM hell. - Actually, it's Ibanez hell, and my ban

This is frustrating. I'm a proud owner of a JS-1000, but I'm always on the lookout for *something more. I'd love to have a Jem. So I went for a little shopping today.
There is this great Ibanez dealer in Holland, who always has topline Ibanez models. What I saw today were besides the normal jems, a 90HAM, a Universe swirl, and some goofy looking RG's, with al sorts of graphics.
The normal Jems were a 555, 7vwh and 7dbk.
Now I always thought the 555 was crap, the 7vwh was the ultimate jewel, and the 7dbk was the 'cheaper, but certainly ok jem". I saw the US prices, for used 7dbk's for around 800.
I'm going to do a little math here. The prices this shop asked for the machines were:

7vhw --- 2290 *(us dollar)
7DBK --- 2170
555 *--- 1000
Universe swirl *3500 (Used, I'd rate it 7 out of 10)
ham90 --- 2500

Now, comparing to the pricelists I see in the states, some strange things happen. For about 100 bucks more, you'll have a vhw instead of that 7dbk...... And I thought that specific guitar would be in my price range. Well, appearantly not.

I think I'll buy my next guitar in the states...

I wish I was a little more rich, instead of so damn cute....
:biggrin:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-05-2001, 10:01 AM

I live in JEM hell.

Those prices look like list prices. *Are those sale prices?

The HAM seems right, about 6 months into the release of the model, now they'll sell for $1500 new/mint.

The UVMC is right on, according to the past sales history.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-05-2001, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

I live in JEM hell.

That were the prices on th tags......
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-08-2001, 01:25 PM

I live in JEM hell.

Why not click on the Ibanez Rules banner on the top of this page?
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-08-2001, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

I live in JEM hell.

I've clicked there and drooled there many a time....
The only thing that is holding me back is the thought of what could go wrong, during shipping, or money transfering and so. I trust Rich absolutly. No doubt about that.

I just don't trust shipping companies like UPS.

Just picture yourself getting that brand new guitar out of the box, when it just travelled half the planet, only to find that some dork went ahead and throwing the box all around..... Cracking that fine brand new perfectly setup neck...
:shocked: :shoot: :bash:

If I buy at a local store, it's my responsabilty what happens on the way home.

Besides, getting dough to the US is a b*tch. I've certainly done that before, and it sucks.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-08-2001, 06:00 PM
Vendor

I live in JEM hell.

I *expect* UPS/EMS/FEDEX to be doing some brutal tossing, that's why I typically only ship express overseas, but that's what insurance is for. Haven't had a broken/damaged guitar (that I've sent, nother story on the 'recieving' end!) yet :biggrin:
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-08-2001, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

I live in JEM hell.

You know, Rich, If I ever buy a Jem, and that _will_ happen this year, I think I will have a *long* thought about where I will buy it. And knowing me, I'll probably go for the cheapest option. Given the horrific prices on the Jem7 dBK here (about 600 dollars above your list price), *I'll probably end up taking the change....

First I need to finnish my custom Jem, though. But I'll send you a big bag of foam peanuts next week, allright?
:biggrin:
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-08-2001, 06:12 PM
Vendor

I live in JEM hell.

Save the peanuts, send 10 rolls of 1/2" bubble wrap!!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 05:01 AM
MD

I live in JEM hell.

I'd not be worry too much about shipping. My 7VWH went from US (I bought it from Rich last month) here without any damage. Ok, it wasn't UPS or something but my friend brought it to me but guitar was in regular luggage, and if you ever been on airport you know how these guys treat luggage. (droping it from jumbo jet to the ground is not that uncommon). UPS express shipping is rather safe I got a lot of gear from US this way and it was always in perfect condition.
Anyway, considering prices here in Europe it's even better to buy a ticket and fly to NJ to pickup your guitar. It will be still cheaper and you will have a nice trip .

I'd never buy a JEM in Europe - never. I don't want to be ripped off.

(Edited by MD at 11:04 pm on May 8, 2001)
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 05:37 AM Thread Starter

I live in JEM hell.

I hear ya.
It _is_ a ripoff here. It's real sad. I paid big bugs for that JS-1000. Stupid me.
And the used market for Ibanez is crap too. Almost non-existant. *
Yet another reason to move to the states......
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 03:05 PM

I live in JEM hell.

I hear ya. Here an old [yet still new...it never sold] Jem777DY goes for $1500. How's that for rip-offs?

Anyway, Rich sent me my RG520 from there to England by the normal postal service. I guess they had to have a large letterbox at the postal office? Anyway, it had these curious circular stabs all over the package, but the packing is like 1/2 inch thick and the guitar was in a UV1000c, so it was as fine as it could be.

BTW, about international payments, i found MoneyOrders to be the best method. I got ripped by WireTransers cos they sent Rich a smaller amount than supposed because there were 'unforseen' charges inbetween the banks, and instead of contacting me they just took it from the final amount. *

(Edited by keith at 9:07 pm on May 9, 2001)
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

I live in JEM hell.

I should have thought about that..... buying a case with it...... Me stupido..
:loco:
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

I live in JEM hell.

Rich, others..

How about the extra costs from importing a guitar?
Like taxes and stuff like that? How much do I need to calculate for that? Customs clearance and that kinda stuff?
We have a 19% VAT.... *
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 02:01 PM

I live in JEM hell.

Over here it's 23.1% [15%VAT and 8% other stuff]. You need to calculate that over the total cost INCLUDING SHIPPING CHARGES. That's how they ususally charge.

GO and check with your Customs Office, they're the ones who'll tell you how they charge :biggrin:

(Edited by keith at 8:03 pm on May 13, 2001)
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 05:32 AM

I live in JEM hell.

Hi man,

your hell could be my heaven :biggrin:

Which shop in Holland?? I go there regularly (Amsterdam, trouwens spreek ik ook Nederlands...)

I'd love to check it out...

-- Giuseppe

Tags
custom jem , ibanez dealer , ibanez models

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode