I made some blueprints 2 years ago...and now - Page 2 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 03:29 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: I made some blueprints 2 years ago...and now

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSwick_2 View Post
A bit sad that nobody's paying attention to this thread and I keep having to double post to update lol But oh well...

I revised the CAD file a bit in the monkey-grip area and also realized that I may have made an error when I was designing it originally...It's just shy of 1.75" thick (I think I made it 44mm....) and my Alder blanks are exactly 1.75" so I will have to either surface it by roughly 0.01" - 0.02" on one side when cutting, or remake the whole cad file lol Right now I'm leaning towards the surfacing option....

Here's a screengrab of the front/back of the body in Solidworks (yeah...the Heel on the AANJ isn't pretty...going to hand shape it smooth after CNC rather than go into the surfacing required to do it in Solidworks)

Thoughts? Comments, Questions, Concerns, Inaccuracies or Improvements to be made/fixed?

I'm just waiting on a 1/16" endmill to show up that I ordered and it will be time to cut, so I'm really trying to get it hammered out before that if possible haha
I'm still paying attention, it's just that the last few posts were WAY above my head......... as normal.

I would definitely surface it as opposed to rewriting the whole program. I imagine that would take forever.

I agree with Jesse that it's a bit odd that you have a rear route AND are forcing yourself into having a pickguard. This is what I was mentioning the first time I posted.

For me the big advantage to a pickguard how mush easier it make doing electronics work. In you case, the pickguard is nothing more than an aesthetic I guess?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
I'm still paying attention, it's just that the last few posts were WAY above my head......... as normal.

I would definitely surface it as opposed to rewriting the whole program. I imagine that would take forever.

I agree with Jesse that it's a bit odd that you have a rear route AND are forcing yourself into having a pickguard. This is what I was mentioning the first time I posted.

For me the big advantage to a pickguard how mush easier it make doing electronics work. In you case, the pickguard is nothing more than an aesthetic I guess?
Glad you're paying attention to it! I plan on potentially doing these custom for people eventually.

It definitely would take a lot longer. I think I spent about a week straight doing this and have revised it several times over since the original version...Making it thicker would require that I basically start from scratch lol

As for the aesthetics of it, you're right on point. I really like the way the Jem looks with the pickguard so that's a big part of the reason I did it this way. It's very easy to remove the wiring channel (literally about 2-3 mouse clicks lol) if a non-pickguard version is wanted.

Wiring is much much easier with a pickguard, I agree. I just don't want to have to remove the whole thing should a pot or solder joint go bad.

But I did get 2 body blanks so I might just make a front routed control AND a rear control *evil laugh*
post #18 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Glad you're paying attention to it! I plan on potentially doing these custom for people eventually.

It definitely would take a lot longer. I think I spent about a week straight doing this and have revised it several times over since the original version...Making it thicker would require that I basically start from scratch lol

As for the aesthetics of it, you're right on point. I really like the way the Jem looks with the pickguard so that's a big part of the reason I did it this way. It's very easy to remove the wiring channel (literally about 2-3 mouse clicks lol) if a non-pickguard version is wanted.

Wiring is much much easier with a pickguard, I agree. I just don't want to have to remove the whole thing should a pot or solder joint go bad.

But I did get 2 body blanks so I might just make a front routed control AND a rear control *evil laugh*
I'm the last guy in the world to tell someone smarter than me what they should do with their own project. I think it's cool that you've left yourself options as well. My concern at first was if you'd taken the front/rear combo into account- which you obviously have.....nice!

One thing I've been working on lately, and may interest you, is inlaying a pickguard into the body top. This would necessitate a rear route obviously and be purely aesthetic. but would fit in perfectly with your designs.......Ideally I would like to have an ash body with a rosewood guard.
post #19 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm the last guy in the world to tell someone smarter than me what they should do with their own project. I think it's cool that you've left yourself options as well. My concern at first was if you'd taken the front/rear combo into account- which you obviously have.....nice!

One thing I've been working on lately, and may interest you, is inlaying a pickguard into the body top. This would necessitate a rear route obviously and be purely aesthetic. but would fit in perfectly with your designs.......Ideally I would like to have an ash body with a rosewood guard.
Oh that's a very cool idea! My only concern with that would be the sharp corners, as an endmill will always produce a rounded corner...But I suppose if you used a small enough cutting bit, or maybe a V-Carving bit, it could work out rather nicely. The other option would be to take the rounded corner into account and either cut the pickguard to match it or use filler like you would in a fingerboard inlay.
post #20 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Oh that's a very cool idea! My only concern with that would be the sharp corners, as an endmill will always produce a rounded corner...But I suppose if you used a small enough cutting bit, or maybe a V-Carving bit, it could work out rather nicely. The other option would be to take the rounded corner into account and either cut the pickguard to match it or use filler like you would in a fingerboard inlay.
I think using an 1/8" endmill and stopping it just short of the sharp corners would work best. The "tips" could easily be finished by hand for a perfect fit.
post #21 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Very true. I'm not very good with hand tools so I plan to make the CNC do as much of the work for me as possible haha I can sand things and paint but that's about as "skilled" as I get in the "by hand" department.

As soon as my 1/16" endmills come in (for the toggle switch slot) I will be putting an alder blank on the machine and clicking the magic button. I'm excited to see what happens

My foam test came out just about perfect in the sizing department but I set the work height a little bit off...so the depths were about .02 - .04" too deep (yes...hundredths of an inch...but still too deep)...I got an auto-height sensor to fix
that problem for future projects lol So the wood ones should come out much more accurate. I'm also going to double check my machine table and make sure it's level..just in case.
post #22 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 04:23 PM

......... For me, not having access to a CNC forces me into making templates that I can then hand route is the hardest part.

I already have a rosewood guard that I made a couple of years ago. I'm having a LOT of trouble making a routing template for the body route that will get a nice super-tight fit. Because both the body and guard are being finished natural, there's NO room for filler.
post #23 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Very true. I'm not very good with hand tools so I plan to make the CNC do as much of the work for me as possible haha I can sand things and paint but that's about as "skilled" as I get in the "by hand" department.

As soon as my 1/16" endmills come in (for the toggle switch slot) I will be putting an alder blank on the machine and clicking the magic button. I'm excited to see what happens
Me too man, The first test is always the most exciting and nerve-racking.....LOL

Let me know how it goes- I'd be interested in trying out one of your finished bodies......
post #24 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 04:27 PM

........BTW, how likely is it that a 1/16" mill would crack while cutting? I've broken more than a few 1/8" flush trim bits working with purpleheart.
post #25 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Me too man, The first test is always the most exciting and nerve-racking.....LOL

Let me know how it goes- I'd be interested in trying out one of your finished bodies......
Oh rest assured there will be pictures haha I am noticing though that I might have been a bit off in my designs vs OEM but in an effort to not remake all of it I'm probably just going to call it "Jem-style" and custom cut the neck, pickguard, and body to fit together....we'll see
post #26 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 04:31 PM

Wait, I was just thinking......

Why bother thicknessing (surfacing) your 1-3/4" body? If your routes are all good on both front and back the miniscule amount of extra thickness wont hurt a damn thing. As long as the neck pocket and top half of the trem route are figured from the same plane- you should be golden.
post #27 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
........BTW, how likely is it that a 1/16" mill would crack while cutting? I've broken more than a few 1/8" flush trim bits working with purpleheart.
Very. That's why I ordered two...it's much easier to manage on a CNC though because I can adjust the router's speed and the machine's movement speed (feed rate) and cut depth per-pass via the computer for optimal bit health.
post #28 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Wait, I was just thinking......

Why bother thicknessing (surfacing) your 1-3/4" body? If your routes are all good on both front and back the miniscule amount of extra thickness wont hurt a damn thing. As long as the neck pocket and top half of the trem route are figured from the same plane- you should be golden.
Well I don't want the control cavity or spring cavity to be too shallow which could be a problem if I don't surface the back. As well as the monkey-grip hole potentially not getting cut all the way through. Plus that allows for paint thickness as well, which will probably make up for it.
post #29 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 04:36 PM

"JEM style" bodies are the norm. No aftermarket bodies that I've seen have been dead on. Some are a lot closer than others, but none are perfect. The important part is where your variances are, and where they can become a problem. I doubt you'll know for sure until after you've cut a few and tested for intonation, setup....etc.
post #30 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Well I don't want the control cavity or spring cavity to be too shallow which could be a problem if I don't surface the back. As well as the monkey-grip hole potentially not getting cut all the way through. Plus that allows for paint thickness as well, which will probably make up for it.
I must have it backward, I thought your program was going to leave the finished body slightly thicker than factory, but with the correct depth on each cavity.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode